Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: This chaps my ass

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Dakota Dunes, SD
    Posts
    6,001

    Default This chaps my ass

    People that post videos on youtube that are nothing more than a whole Y&T CD that's background music for a photo collage.

    Hey, Einstein. I know you love the band and all, but you do realize that if people can just cruise on over to youtube and stream the album, they have no reason to buy it, right? Find a better way to generate content for your channel.

    Grrr....
    I love my guitar.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Good point, and there's not many albums that aren't on Youtube now.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fleming Island, FL
    Posts
    1,188

    Default

    I'm with you 100%, Donk. It annoys me to no end when I hear people shrug off the fact that they pirate music off the internet, as if its a victimless crime. They seem to think that if others are doing it, what's the harm in them doing it as well?

    That's stealing and that's bullshit.

    It particularly irritates me in the case of Y&T, given the fact (and I know we all agree on this) that they didn't get the accolades and the many multi-platinum albums they so richly deserved.

    Music is intellectual property and these artists deserve to be paid for their labor.

    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    S Suburbs of Illinois
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNole1 View Post
    I'm with you 100%, Donk. It annoys me to no end when I hear people shrug off the fact that they pirate music off the internet, as if its a victimless crime. They seem to think that if others are doing it, what's the harm in them doing it as well?

    That's stealing and that's bullshit.

    It particularly irritates me in the case of Y&T, given the fact (and I know we all agree on this) that they didn't get the accolades and the many multi-platinum albums they so richly deserved.

    Music is intellectual property and these artists deserve to be paid for their labor.

    Totally agree on this. It's the musicians who create the music. Play their hearts out. People just don't even think TWICE about stealing it. Im glad im one of the people who bought vinyl, cassettes and cds. I never got into the whole digital thing. I just transfer my cds to my mp3 players. Annoys the hell out of me people stealing from artists.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern Sweden
    Posts
    2,906

    Default

    Welcome to the new world of music. You can listen to anything on the internet! If I like a band I buy their records..............
    Home sweet home.......

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Welcome to the new world of music. You can listen to anything on the internet! If I like a band I buy their records..............
    True, but there are other ways of getting a band some recognition without uploading the entire album. It's just way too easy to download and burn it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Monterey, California, USA
    Posts
    5,787

    Default

    Content owners have been aggressively taking youtube pages down lately. Half the pages I visit seem empty these days due to copyright issues. It's a start if that's what you think would fix the problem. Physical media sales have been going lower and lower for some time though. For more than just one reason. And I always wonder, how many sales are lost because of the youtube pages vs. how many sales are made as a result. At least on the older material. For those who don't care about sound quality etc., to steal or rip a bad copy from youtube just to check it out may lead to a sale?......... or not. In all honesty, if a product is just sitting and rotting, maybe giving it away in some form might help jump start sales elsewhere? Some bands release the videos themselves for that purpose. Still doesn't make it right though. But then, laws and morals seem so fluid these days, lol. Just a thought and trying to understand all sides of a problem that may not change anytime soon. It would've been nice to hear y&t's take on this to see how wrong I am.
    On a somewhat related side note;
    who knew last weekend was record store day? I bet hardly anyone did. I didn't until I saw a small crowd gathering outside a local record shop waiting to open. I had a look inside just to see. I'd forgotten how strong the smell was. Whew! I didn't see anything I wanted. My turntable still sits in storage. Gosh, there's a national day for everything lately. Sorry for drifting.









    .

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fleming Island, FL
    Posts
    1,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toyhouse View Post
    Content owners have been aggressively taking youtube pages down lately. Half the pages I visit seem empty these days due to copyright issues. It's a start if that's what you think would fix the problem. Physical media sales have been going lower and lower for some time though. For more than just one reason. And I always wonder, how many sales are lost because of the youtube pages vs. how many sales are made as a result. At least on the older material. For those who don't care about sound quality etc., to steal or rip a bad copy from youtube just to check it out may lead to a sale?......... or not. In all honesty, if a product is just sitting and rotting, maybe giving it away in some form might help jump start sales elsewhere? Some bands release the videos themselves for that purpose. Still doesn't make it right though. But then, laws and morals seem so fluid these days, lol. Just a thought and trying to understand all sides of a problem that may not change anytime soon. It would've been nice to hear y&t's take on this to see how wrong I am.
    On a somewhat related side note;
    who knew last weekend was record store day? I bet hardly anyone did. I didn't until I saw a small crowd gathering outside a local record shop waiting to open. I had a look inside just to see. I'd forgotten how strong the smell was. Whew! I didn't see anything I wanted. My turntable still sits in storage. Gosh, there's a national day for everything lately. Sorry for drifting.









    .


    I can go along with this. Now, I admit, perhaps I am somewhat hypocritical, as I have perused youtube in the past to determine if I wanted to purchase a piece of music. To give an example: lately, I have REALLY gotten into Accept. Their last two releases with Mark Tornillo are absolutely stellar. So, knowing little about Accept's earlier stuff, save "Balls to the Wall", of course, I sought it out and stumbled accross "Princess of the Dawn". Great tune and I ended up purchasing the album.

    So you are correct, there is a flip side to that argument. Plus, I am old school and like physical product...I'm not a downloader.
    However, I do think this kind of thing should be at the discretion of the artist.

    On another note, did you get a 420 contact buzz at the record store?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    205

    Default

    The thing is there are literally thousands (perhaps millions?) of complete albums on YouTube, yet when someone uploads an entire movie, it's removed almost instantly. My question is who's watching this stuff??

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Monterey, California, USA
    Posts
    5,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNole1 View Post
    On another note, did you get a 420 contact buzz at the record store?
    Now that you mention it - I put back the poster I was going to get because the line was moving so sloooooooooow - or not at all.















    .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •