PDA

View Full Version : Santa Rosa Reviews

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
09-09-2005, 08:03 AM
Post 'em here...

(I'll be back with my review later in the day... but I will say this... GREAT FREAKIN' SOUND last night!!! The best I've heard at a Meniketti gig in a while! Tom had Dave's vocals dialed in perfectly!) :clap2: :clap2:

More to come....

SusanRocks
09-09-2005, 10:33 AM
I agree with Jeff... The sound was GREAT last night. A perfect mix of guitar and vocals. Even standing right up front, you could here Dave really well and that's not always easy to accomplish!

The small but enthusiastic crowd of "regulars" got a real treat last night. The show was relaxed, the band was having fun and really kicked in by about the fourth song.

I have to say, "Until the next time" was worth the plane ticket all on it's own. The band was on it!! Other favorites... "Take it like a man," "Sail on by" and "Loan me a dime"

I'll let Nancy post the full set list, 'cause that's her job of course!

Looking forward to Round 2! See ya all tonight! ~~Susan

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
09-09-2005, 11:00 AM
OK, now that things have slowed down a bit around here (mornings are ALWAYS like Central Station at this house... between the biz, the kids, etc. Every line ringing at once... including cell phones... you know the drill) :eek:

Anyhow, had a real enjoyable time last night with the small crowd that came out to support Meniketti and the guys. I finally met Thin Lizzy in person -- and dude, you're just like I pictured ya! :D Nice to finally meet ya!

Let's start out by saying that Aaron Pearson and gang really did a good job of opening the show. That band comes off VERY well in the LIVE setting. As I told Aaron last night, I think he should release a LIVE CD! Hey, it worked for KISS! :D The only draw-back to this set was the vocals were muddled down into the guitar range and it was hard to make out what he was singing. Great energy though, and the drummer (Larry) is a wild-man, and he gets points from me for doing the "vocal harmonica." :lmao:

Meniketti hit the stage around 10pm and was in good shape sound-wise and vocally. As I said earlier, Tom really had them dialed in nicely all night. Each layer of instrumentation was easily audible and Dave's voice rose above them during the entire set. Easily the best sound I've heard from Meniketti in a long while.

Musically, maybe not "quite" the magic that was the first Last Day Saloon gig, but nonetheless, they were in great form and really looked like they were having a legitimate good time as usual. Tommy Grasso gets more of my attention each time I see this band LIVE. Solid player.

Myron was Myron. What more can be said. His bass solo was slow, rhythmic, and entrancing. VERY cool stuff.

Chris was solid all night. I may have heard one or two little "boo boo's"... but unless you're like me and listen with the intent of an elephant, you wouldn't notice.

Dave's voice was good n' strong and held up throughout the set. I thought his soloing last night was top notch. UNTIL THE NEXT TIME was earth-shatteringly good!

Fantastic show. If you missed it... you missed out.

My1MsSteak
09-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Yeah it sure was a fun night!

Jeff warned me in advance that he would be highly critical of Aarons set!

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed it!:raiseroof

Dave also hung around in the back and caught a few tunes.

He said he liked what he heard as well.

"TOLD YOU SO!" :p

The Meniketti set was wonderful!

Dave looks and sounds great!

Myron is a base god!

Good solid rythym from Chris as always!

It's always a pleasure to see Tommy back on the West Coast!

I think he should move out here! JMO! ;)

I DO NOT understand why such a small turn out!

WTF is wrong with Santa Rosa? :mad:

Thank you Jill for helping with Merch advice!

It was a grand time visiting with you!

Ok...Let's do this again Saturday night!

Janine :D

My1MsSteak
09-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Anyhow, had a real enjoyable time last night with the small crowd that came out to support Meniketti and the guys. I finally met Thin Lizzy in person -- and dude, you're just like I pictured ya! :D Nice to finally meet ya!

OK.........

Where the heck was I?

I did not get to meet MR. Lizzy!

If your at the Concord show....

Please introduce yourself.

I'm the one with the BIG hair!

LOL!

Janine :D

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
09-09-2005, 12:39 PM
You were busy running around, talking, and putting on CAL JAM 5 and missed him. :lmao:

He's going to the other shows, I believe... so look for him!

Terr
09-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Dave & the boys were ON FIRE!!!! & I finally got to hear TRAIN!!! YES! Train featured Tommy doin' the best solo I've heard him do. Excellent! There were three good string benders in the center of his solo.
Dave apologized for trippin' out on Mister Blister. No Apology Necessary ~ It was ZONE TIME.
GREAT SHOW!!!!

Got a feelin' tonight's gonna be one o' those MAGIC historical nights. One o' my best & oldest friends is gonna join us.

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Santa Cruz is RAWKIN'!!! Last time here I saw it at it's worst...

Now I'm seein' it at it's best! Cheers

thinlizzy
09-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Tired and jet lagged but always Ready for Menikett we arrived to check out sound check. Seen Jill, always such a lady. Hung around for the check and returned for the opener. Loved the Pot song bigtime. At the back the sound could have been a little stronger. Good set and mix of songs.

Dave put on a clinic bigtime and the people just dropped their jaws and sucked it up. I love when the people appreciate a master at his craft when at some shows they miss a lot of the stuff that is right in front of them. Loved the extended jam sessions and Myron using the tap harmonics was killer. Like Jeff told me he could sit and listen to him just play for awhile. The zoned in just like Dave and they fed real well of one another. Santa Rosa Really missed out on this one man. One more time tonight in SC. Jeff man you looked just like I thought you would after seeing your avatar. haha such a fungi. Awesome to meet you and your wife and here about how many friggen shows you have seen but I am gaining one on you at the Cruz. Glad you loved the Vedder story. Later

" Can't buy a Vetter Man "

Taryn
09-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Always great to see Aaron, Larry and Stephen perform....

Love the new shirts Aaron ~ Never Give Up!!!

As for Dave's band ~ OMG. Like I didn't know they would be Amazing!!! Can't believe I waited soooo long to catch one of their shows. Well now that I'm hooked and have my "sparkle" Meniketti shirt I'm all set for Bourbon Street Saturday...

It was so good to finally meet Jeff, Danielle, Kelly, Susan, Bill and Terr...
I know I must be leaving someone out so I apologize in advance. ;)

See ya at the show!!!

Taryn :D

Eddietherocker
09-09-2005, 02:47 PM
...last nite show was just incredible, the passion on the mans face when his
playing is awesome, cant wait till' saturday show. Is going to be killer.

Dave you the man

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Terr
09-12-2005, 03:07 AM
Always great to see Aaron, Larry and Stephen perform....

Love the new shirts Aaron ~ Never Give Up!!!

As for Dave's band ~ OMG. Like I didn't know they would Amazing!!! Can't believe I waited soooo long to catch one of their shows. Well now that I'm hooked and have my "sparkle" Meniketti shirt I'm all set for Bourbon Street Saturday...

It was so good to finally meet Jeff, Danielle, Kelly, Susan, Bill and Terr...
I know I must be leaving someone out so I apologize in advance. ;)

See ya at the show!!!

Taryn :D

So nice to meet you too, Taryn. :D

It was cool to banter with Dave a bit after the show too. He is always so cool & always looks sharp ...nevermind what anyone may say... ;) ....& always sounds SO great!

Seein' the small turn out in SR & SC...I was thinkin' of Van Gogh & how he only sold one painting for a hundred bucks...
Hey- commercial success may be slow to come....but the CRITICAL SUCCESS is OVERWHELMING!!!!!!

MENIKETTI ROOOLS! :guitarist

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
09-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Yes, absolutely... meeting Taryn was great. She's a talker, non-stopper! :D We love that though!!!!

I wish I could've been there Saturday night... but we had my boy Jayson's 10th Birthday Party here, and it was a crazy one! I put on a 4 networked X-Box Tony Hawk Underground tournament for him... where the winner would receive a brand new skateboard -- and we had swimming, eating, trampoline wrestling, Madden with my buds (always a staple at the birthday parties), and a lot of Mexican Food! (YEAH!!!!!!!) :D

thinlizzy
09-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Yeah I had some Mexican burritos at the airport and it was about the same quality as I had in San Diego. I might as well skipped the middle man and just put it in the toilet. The Thai food I had in SC was no better.

Taryn
09-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Yes, absolutely... meeting Taryn was great. She's a talker, non-stopper! :D We love that though!!!!

I wish I could've been there Saturday night... but we had my boy Jayson's 10th Birthday Party here, and it was a crazy one! I put on a 4 networked X-Box Tony Hawk Underground tournament for him... where the winner would receive a brand new skateboard -- and we had swimming, eating, trampoline wrestling, Madden with my buds (always a staple at the birthday parties), and a lot of Mexican Food! (YEAH!!!!!!!) :D
Hey Jeff ~ you're post cracked me up... http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/1016.gif

I do tend to get that way when I'm at a show and haven't seen everyone for a while and/or when I finally meet someone after seeing them on the forum forever.... http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/090.gif

Hard to believe, but I used to be soooo shy I couldn't even make eye contact with people. Dave can verify that from "the early" years when I first started going to Yesterday & Today gigs 31 years ago.... I tell people that I know every rug pattern in America from always looking down ~ all you saw was the part down the middle of my hair.
Boy ~ it sure sounds like Jayson had the Ultimate Birthday Party!!! http://images.bravenet.com/common/images/smilies/happybday.gif

Keep up the great job you've been doing on the forum ~ I honestly meant what I said about that...

Taryn

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
09-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Keep up the great job you've been doing the forum ~ I honestly meant what I said about that...

Taryn

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :guitarist

You were a blast to talk to!!! We'll see you again at another gig, I'm sure! I absolutely can't imagine you being shy!!! You're a ball of energy!

Yeah, the party was most excellent. After a while I forgot it was Jayson's party, because I was having so much fun! :D I've got some great friends... they really take care of my kids on their B-Day's.

It just sucks I have to be working today. I'm worn out from the weekend! Oh well, at least it's a good Monday Night game tonight to look forward to. :clap2: