PDA

View Full Version : annoying pop ups!

ian
02-23-2005, 05:26 AM
people,
up until recently , pop ups werent a problem with me but somehow , I've been getting a ton. I think there is a programme thats attached itself to my pc and manifests itself as a picture of a little dogs head in my lower tool bar . So how do I get rid of the dog thing and stop the pop ups.

thanks in advance

Ian

VimFeugo
02-23-2005, 06:12 AM
Hey Ian,

Try insatlling and running some anti-spyware software such as Spybot S&D or Adaware. You can download them from www.download.com (http://www.download.com). Just do a search for either of them or both. There is also one called SpySweeper from Webroot software, but costs about $30.00 or so. You can get it at places like Best Buy or download it from www.webroot.com (http://www.webroot.com). I use this in conjunction with the other two and it does a pretty good job of keeping my system clean. Also, Spybot has a module called Tea Timer which lets you know if anything is trying to install in the background and if something is trying to change any of the registry settings. SpySweeper does the same thing.

You can also download a pop up stopper from www.panicware.com (http://www.panicware.com) or if you are using Windows XP, install SP2 as it has a built in pop up blocker.

In some cases, depending on how bad the "infection" is, you may end up having to reimage your system.
Hope that helps a little and good luck.

bjaramil
02-24-2005, 11:32 AM
that dog thing is scottie the watchdog...i think whenever something comes up, like installing a new program for instance, it comes up....double click it and see what it is.,...i have that on my winpc and it is a GREAT help!

ian
02-24-2005, 11:39 AM
that dog thing is scottie the watchdog...i think whenever something comes up, like installing a new program for instance, it comes up....double click it and see what it is.,...i have that on my winpc and it is a GREAT help!

nope not that, its some kind of like "priceline.com" thing...truly annoying!

Ian

bosk1
02-24-2005, 06:34 PM
I must admit, I was truly frightened to open a thread having the words "pop ups" in the title that was started by Ian. But since it was in the tech. section, I figured it might be safe.

I hate to state the obvious, but have you tried the uninstall tool in your control panel?

thinlizzy
02-24-2005, 11:32 PM
I had a friend that had problems with poppers as he sniffed to hard and the vapor burned his nose. OOOOOOHHHHH pop ups So Sorry

If you do a search and type in the lavasoft I believe is the one for spybot. Once you are on their website the download is free so save your cash for beer. Good luck. :beer:

ian
03-02-2005, 05:44 PM
Thinlizzy...you are the man!

the free pop up killer worked a charm! thanks!

would you like naked pictures of my sister as payment?

Ian

Terr
03-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Thinlizzy...you are the man!

the free pop up killer worked a charm! thanks!

would you like naked pictures of my sister as payment?

Ian

If ya send t.l. those pics, then HE'LL have a pop-up problem...& lavasoft won't help. :lmao:

CaliTodd68
03-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I used to hate those back in school....puberty really sucked, and it was always just my luck to get called up to the chalkboard at the time of a "popup"...lol. Oh sorry, wrong pop ups! Seriously though, like others have said, Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware both work really well, and they are free. One that I use and have had a lot of good luck with is SPYHUNTER. It runs about $30, but its is well worth it. It will find stuff that the free ones won't. If you suspect you have spyware or a Virus just go to http://www.trendmicro.com and use PC Cillin's HOUSE CALL to do a free scan of your computer. It will also remove anything that it finds. Kinda makes you wonder how they make any money selling their antivirus products if they will scan and remove stuff for free. PC Cillin is some great computer protection software though. I have bee using it for years!:D

Jeff Bricker
03-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Stopzilla took care of my problem and it was free.:beer: