PDA

View Full Version : windows restart problem

The Garage Sale Man
01-07-2005, 11:20 AM
If any one can help with some info on this problem, or which direction to go get it fixed without getting ripped off, i would appreciate it.

My computer was shut off accidentially by the panel on/off button, instead of being shutdown properley, i was in the process of downloading when it happened. so i turned the computer back on and it gets to a black screen that gives me 4 options 3 different safe mode options, 1 that says find last used settings and start there, and 1 that says re start normally, all of these options bring me to the the Windows XP screen and shows it working, then all the sudden it shows a blue backround error message for 1 second, not enough time to even read any of it, and it restarts the computer ???? I cant get in the safe mode or anything ? Its probabley a matter of telling the computer somehow, how to restart windows XP ? I dont think its a hard ware problem, based on how it happened when i shut down the computer wrong, any ideas on how to get this to start up again, without taking to a computer guy that needs to put gas in his cadilac.

any ideas forum family guru's ??

Thanks,
Greg :beer:

The Dude
01-07-2005, 02:26 PM
You can try to boot from your windows xp cd rom then go to the repair menue dont type in a install just let it find the last one if you do happen to make it through to the windows program you should be fine if not you will need to make a bootable xp floppy this info used to be available at tech tv not sure if it still is or not since they sold out to g4

if your using windows 98se you should have a bootable floppy if you are forced to you can reinstall windows completely but will have to reinstall every program major pain in the ass but if you didnt "borrow" the programs you should be fine just reinstall them in the same directory

the bad news is I have done this several times and you will end up making new identities the good news is space permiting on your drives the old stuff will still be there under the old names then your outlook file will need to be fixed too so do not over write this until you have saved the data file for outlook this process has taken me 2 weeks to run so get a bunch of junk food and the phone number of a computer god If you dont know one you can call me 559-790-6295 I am a god in training I have enough knowlege to get you through this most difficult time

if your close I could have you bring all your stuff over and I could rebuild it for you .

The moral of this and all is to have a constant ghost of your harddrive although this is not without its problems too .

Lance

http://www.theguitargods.com

The Garage Sale Man
01-10-2005, 10:24 AM
my friend fixed my computer a year and a half ago, it had a hard drive problem, when he was done he put xp on it, ...
so if i get his disk, i can probabley repair this problem???

The Dude
01-10-2005, 12:22 PM
or go buy xp :)

The Rockin' Donkey
01-10-2005, 04:35 PM
my friend fixed my computer a year and a half ago, it had a hard drive problem, when he was done he put xp on it, ...
so if i get his disk, i can probabley repair this problem???

Probably, but you won't be able to install XP from that disk, since XP creates a profile of the system it is installed on and sends it to Microsoft.

The Garage Sale Man
01-10-2005, 04:48 PM
he says he has a recovery disk, will that work.................

The Dude
01-10-2005, 06:03 PM
as long as he didnt profile more than one machine