PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about XP ????

Montyrob
01-06-2005, 08:00 AM
Work gave me a free computer to build as my own, the old harddrive I have has windows 98 on it, the one they gave me has XP but it has an ADMINISTRATOR password on it, so is there a way to crack the cookie and remove the admin lock so I can use XP instead of 98 ???

RaiderHog
01-06-2005, 10:36 AM
that will take some serious hacking to get into! not sure but i think that the writers of xp put their own little back doors into the system so you might be able to go on the net and search or ask if anyone knows any back door passwords! otherwise just reformat and reinstall xp!

MIDNYTNTOKYO
01-06-2005, 10:39 AM
First I would try for the password......admin, administrator or password u might get lucky...but a better solution is below.

QUESTION:
I have forgotten my Windows 2000 or Windows XP administrator or user password. What do I do?

ANSWER:
The Windows 2000 Administrator and User passwords are very important tools to access your system. If you forget these passwords you will not be able to log into your system and access files, programs, etc. This is particularly a problem if your system is formatted with the NTFS file system.

There is no native Windows-based method for changing the Administrator password if you've forgotten it. The best solution available is to boot your computer with a special Linux-based floppy disk, which will allow you to change your Administrator password.

This disk may be downloaded from the Web at

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html.
If the utility asks for a registry path, it is usually winnt/system32/config. Depending on where Windows is installed, you can also try windows/system32/config, windows/system, or simply windows.

MIDNYTNTOKYO
01-06-2005, 10:41 AM
I think reloading win XP is your best bet. It's too complicated to try and reset the password....see previous post.

Montyrob
01-06-2005, 01:33 PM
except I dont have an XP disk.....

twistedbitchescapee
01-06-2005, 04:49 PM
If work gave it to you, don't they have the password?

Canuck
01-06-2005, 07:06 PM
Two words: Ask Donk

The Rockin' Donkey
01-07-2005, 10:52 PM
I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I couldn't tell you what to do at this point.

My best recommendation would be to spring for a full version of XP which you could install. At some point you'll eventually need to re-build the PC anyway, so you'll want it.

Try searching Half.com for a good deal on the software.

twistedbitchescapee
01-08-2005, 01:17 AM
Was reading up on this, they said that the password comes blank and to try logging on without it. Just a thought

thinlizzy
01-20-2005, 08:17 PM
I have a dell inspiron with xp and when booting up I was having the thing lock up on me. I thought it was a virus or something so I got it into safe mode and ran adaware and found it wasn't. I talked to another guy at work and he also said if I had the disk I could just reinstall it. Unluckily I don't have the disk so I work on my other one about 50 % of the time. Good luck.

Garth Simpson4
01-21-2005, 04:05 AM
I told Jeff Kehr & Ross about that problem I had too, and I just had to put in my password again, and I didn't lose any info; I think it can be corrected within the Control Panel; 'Network & Internet Connections', I'm pretty sure that's what worked for me; and I'm a novice at it.

Theres a lot of extremely 'computer intelligent' folks on this forum, I just don't happen to be one of them..-G-.

The Rockin' Donkey
01-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Theres a lot of extremely 'computer intelligent' folks on this forum, I just don't happen to be one of them..-G-.

Me either. I just get lucky sometimes.

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
01-22-2005, 02:23 PM
You won't be able to actually "crack" the password, but you could ask work for the password, or if all else fails, a clean install of XP would be your best bet. Unfortunately this means springing for the software, but I'm sure you system would run a lot better, quicker and more effieciently with a clean install anyhow.

The NTFS file system has nothing to do with it... it would be the same with FAT32.

METLHEDD
02-19-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm about to buy another computer and have been told a few times to get XP PRO not Home Edition, why? Is there problems with the HE? I ask because all of the computers I've liked have the HE not the Pro. I don't know jack so whatcha think? This puter is for my pics/vids of music & hot rods, burning cd/dvd & web surfin', nuthin "work" related just the fun stuff.....

METL//David

The Rockin' Donkey
02-20-2005, 01:57 AM
Unless you're planning on hosting your own webserver you don't need pro. Whoever told you that was high. Just get Home Edition.

METLHEDD
02-20-2005, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the pm Donk.

METL/David

The Rockin' Donkey
02-20-2005, 06:00 PM
My pleasure. Glad I could help.

YandTrocks
02-21-2005, 10:23 PM
you could goto www.download.com and try searching for aprogram there that might do it for you. just a thought.

Garth Simpson4
02-22-2005, 07:41 AM
It's helped me immensely..(and for 600+ pg.'s for $20. + S/H) It's well worth the investment.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=Mo5xsoj9xZ&sourceid=M000000269&isbn=059600897X&itm=25 .-G-.

Montyrob
02-28-2005, 03:31 PM
problem solved :)

won a copy off ebay and installed last night, works awesome !!!!

The Rockin' Donkey
02-28-2005, 06:34 PM
Glad to hear it Rob!

bjaramil
03-01-2005, 07:37 AM
so did you install HE or Pro?

Montyrob
03-01-2005, 10:11 AM
home edition, I really dont spend to much time on the computer at home anymore working 2 jobs, but I wanted the newer computer since it has better features and a P3 over the P2 which I had on the other comp

CaliTodd68
03-01-2005, 05:30 PM
To answer everyone's questions.........If your Windows XP is installed on a hard drive that is formatted Fat 32 the password can be easily hacked with a Windows 98 or DOS boot disk. If it is Formatted NTFS then you are out of luck. The whole reason for the NTFS file system (besides stability and file access speed) is security. Some individual files can be retrieved, but your chances of getting back into the OS are slim to none. By the way, the Administrator password in Windows NT, 2000 and XP is left blank by default on installation. Just log in as administrator and leave the password box blank. This is assuming that the person that installed the OS didn't put in a password, of course. Actually, I have some Network Administrator's software that will hack any password in about 24 hours. More like 30 or less minutes if it is a common word found in the dictionary. As for the Windows XP Home or Pro controversy. They are identical except for 2 major differences. Windows XP Home will NOT run dual processors. It won't even recognize the second CPU. The other major difference is that Windows XP Home will NOT join a domain. This is not a major issue at home, but causes big problems on networks. Especially if you carry a laptop around and need to get on several different networks throughout the day. By the way FYI, Microsoft just made it harder to steal their software on February 28th. Now everyone, including, OEM computer buyers (DELL, Gateway, Etc.) with preinstalled Windows must call Microsoft to activate their computer before they can use it. Before you just had to register a clean self-install of Windows XP or reregister when you changed it. There is NO MORE online activation. You must CALL Microsoft. Being in the IT business I get around this by purchasing preactivated volume licenses and keys. They can be installed on as many computers as you want technically. Legally you are only supposed to install the software on computers you purchase the license for. So basically I am on the "honor system" with microsoft. Being in the IT field does have its perks I guess. Well, I hoped this answered everyone's computer questions. If anyone has any more questions feel free to ask me any time. Answering technical questions and building and maintaining computers and networks is what I do! :guitarist

Garth Simpson4
03-02-2005, 04:59 AM
Probably cause he doesn't post often, but he DEFINITELY QUALIFIES! Hope all is well 'Merced' email me sometime!..-G-.

CaliTodd68
03-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Hey, thanks for the props Garth! All is well in Merced. How are things in Fresno? The Fresno State girl's basketball coach has really been making the headlines lately. Do you have any inside dirt on that situation? I haven't been posting much lately do to my health. I am just getting over a bout with Valley Fever. I had always heard about Valley Fever, but never really knew how bad it could be until I got it myself. Needless to say......IT REALLY SUCKS! Now that I am feeling better again, I hope to be around a little more in the future!:guitarist

Garth Simpson4
03-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Todd: I hear ya; just because she dresses 'HOT', they're trying to talk 'dirt' about her; but as of yet, have failed to come forward w/ 1 piece of evidence/ proof of any wrong-doing whatsoever.. It's all politics..-G-.

YandTrocks
03-03-2005, 04:41 AM
calitodd, do you know what they ask you on the phone to activate besides that long 30+ digit number. i got a key gen program and need to activate 1 more unit and i was on march 1. figures a day late and a dollar short, story of my life.

CaliTodd68
03-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Honestly, I am not sure what they ask you for. I never have to register any of the volume license software I purchase, so I have not had the pleasure of ever having to go through the activation process. Knowing microsoft though, I am sure they want your first born child, a DNA sample and the keys to your car. Oh, and God forbid you ever change the hardware in your computer. You will have to do it all over again. I can understand Microsoft wanting to do this to protect themselves from people stealing their software and not paying for it, but it is getting a little ridiculous if you ask me. I think a lot more people are going to be going to alternative cheaper and more stable software in the future like Linux. Microsoft is in the process of cutting off the hand that feeds them if you ask me. :confused:

The Rockin' Donkey
03-05-2005, 10:05 AM
the main problem is that Linux is nowhere near the ease of use that Windows is, even with all the hardware stuff. Most people don't mess with stuff like that, which will keep Microsoft on top until Linux is fully ready for the desktop. Installing software on Linux is still too much of a pain in the ass. People want to just double-click something and have it install painlessly, which rarely happens with Linux software. But the day is coming.

bjaramil
03-05-2005, 10:13 AM
OH NO!!!!
NOT TRUE, DONK!!!!
Serial, get yourself a Mandrake flavor of Linux and install it. I'll bet you will have ZERO problems with it!!!
You get a FREE Office Suite, and gajillions of pieces of software....
I'm not kidding! If you have a spare computer, I challenge you to install Mandrake on it. It will be a snap, you'll see that it is automatically very familiar to you, you can do all the same 'neat' things like put on your wall paper, pick different themes etc....
I really believe in it, and you should, too!!!

The Rockin' Donkey
03-05-2005, 10:16 AM
I had Mandrake installed a while back. It was ok, but a little cumbersome for my tastes. I'm actually quite happy with what I have now. Maybe when I buy a new PC in a few years I'll look into Mandrake, but this machine's beein working for me just fine. I guess I'm lucky that it does what I need it to and I don't get into Gaming and stuff, huh?

Hey, were you able to do anything with that riff I pointed you to?

bjaramil
03-05-2005, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I started with Red Hat back in 5, but seriously, i tried to get some co-workers to start using it when i was the tech coordinator...they did and no problem...the newest Mandrake (the one I recommend for beginners) has everything you need....(okay, maybe not microsoft access the databse application, but casual users dont use that) and it is SOOOOO easy to install now. I recommend someone look for the 'live cd' versions. They are cd's that you put in reboot your machine and they let you 'test drive' the Operating System...then when you take out the cd and reboot, everything is back to 'normal'...
If you are seriously looking to try an alternative OS and don't know what i'm talking about but are willing to give the 'live cd' a test drive, let me know. PM me.
Donk,
I started messing with the riff you sent. I've come up with a couple things, but I need to start looping it so i can put it all together and send it back...
maybe this weekend...

The Rockin' Donkey
03-05-2005, 04:11 PM
I tried the Linux thing. It's ok. But I'm really not into alternative OSes these days. LIke I said, if I ever have two PCs at the same time (unlikely because if I get a new one I'm likely to give this one to my younger brother) I'll give Linux another shot.

Can't wait to hear your licks, man.

CaliTodd68
03-06-2005, 03:12 AM
You are very correct Donkster! Some day though, hopefully people will realize the little bit of work that is involved with a Linux configuration outweighs the cost of Microsoft's Products. Why pay $150.00 for Windows XP when you can download Redhat or Suse Linux from any college campus on the planet for free, and install it on ALL of your computers at home or in the office? It is open souce. You can also buy it if you wish for like $30.00. Linux is also Unix code based like MAC OS10, which makes it about 100 times more stable than the bloated code microsoft puts out. It is also 64 bit (much faster with the right 64 bit processors), and hardly anyone writes viruses for it. I am sure that the virus situation will change though once Linux becomes more mainstream and popular. Don't get me wrong. I am not knocking Microsoft. I use Their products on a daily basis, and Windows Xp is a great Operating System for the average computer user. Xp is very easy to use and configure, and very stable for the most part. From what I have seen so far It looks like Microsoft finally got the server situation right with Server 2003 and .NET though. I will take Novell over Microsoft any day of the week as a server platform though. It is much more stable, virus free and hacker proof. I use Microsoft, Novell, Apple/Macintosh, Unix, Linux, and about 50 non OS software titles on a daily basis. Also, Cisco IOS for programming routers, but that is a different subject all together. Apple is kind of in the same situation that Linux is. Macs are more of a fad computer now, but still great for Graphic work. The PC world finally caught up to them in terms of stability and speed. I think if Apple dropped their prices and had more hardware and software to use with their Macintosh machines they would have more than 3% of the PC market share. They make most of their money off of the iPOD now anyway. The 64 bit version of Windows XP is due out in May. I can't wait to play with it and see how fast and stable it is in comparison to the 32 bit version. I guess it is time to finally get that dual Opteron system together next month. Also, Windows "Longhorn" 32 bit OS in due out in June 2006. So they say. It has a whole new file system to replace the NTFS used in NT, 2000, and XP. Beta testers say is is a really fast and stable OS. We will just have to wait and see though. Well i could ramble on all day about computer hardware and software, but I am sure you get what I am trying to say. looking at windows XP through this new 21" LCD monitor I picked up last week is great though!...lol:happy: