PDA

View Full Version : for dave about hear n' aid

EricBirdmanBorboa
04-03-2012, 04:37 PM
so there is a huge debate which part you sing and which part ronnie sings can you fill me in more on this excelkent debate mr.meniketti

Student of Dave
04-03-2012, 08:48 PM
What's the debate? He sings the first line of the song and then again on the bridge. It's all in the video.

(Off the top of my head):
"Sometimes in the night when you're feeling the cold" DAVE
"Take a look at the sky above you" Ronnie
"Those are faces in the light if the story were told" Halford
"They are calling you, calling you...yeah" Ronnie
"We are Magic in the night" Ronnie
"We are shadow we are light" Dubrow
"We are forever you and I" DAVE

bigT
04-04-2012, 01:27 PM
The Archives are a great resource!!!!!

Hear n Aid

has simpson:
Was there any particular reason you didn't play guitar on the hear n aid
sessions?

DAVE:
Actually I didn't have a choice in the matter. I was asked to sing a lead vocal on the project by Ronnie Dio & that's it. That was OK with me because there were so many artists that I was glad to be part of the solo performers, regardless of singing or guitar.
That gig was cool - so many guys that we had come to know through the years & all in one place. The first night, for the group vocal, was the best. Everyone crowded into the hallways & other rooms of the A&M studios, tons of press, interviews everywhere & lots of catching up with everyone. It was a lot of fun & a zoo. I was the first singer to sing lead on Stars. It happened the next morning, after the group singing & some guitar solos the night before. I remember that morning quite well. As I was preparing to sing in the studio, I stepped out in the hall for a minute & there was Rob Halford at 9am, standing in the hallway by himself (there wasn't anyone there at 9am after the night before) in full studded dress. It was kinda surreal.
So I sang the whole song to the end & did some scats & improv lines on the tag. Ronnie ended up using me as the opening singer & used a lot of my adlib lines on the tag. I was happy with that. I remember that Neil Schon & I were flying back to the bay area that morning & were sharing a cab to the airport. Both of us wanted to hang out & listen to Rob do his thing before we left. It was real wierd to watch him sing in the morning. It took him a while to open up, but once he did & put out that trademark vibrato of his, we were happy & got out of there. The zoo the night before was also cool for watching guys do guitar solos. I remember going in the control room with a bunch of other guitar players to watch Yngvie do his solo. We all stood around him (all soloists played in the control room) & were laughing & looking at each other in amazement as he flew around the neck like an acrobat. We all just kinda shook our heads & stood there dumbfounded as he played take after take of just amazingly agile shredding. It was, overall, one of the best publicity related things I ever was involved with. The fact that it was for a good cause was all the better.

BOSK1:
Dave did some really cool vocals on Stars, but it just baffles me that he wasn't asked to supply some guitar work as well.

DAVE:
I think Ronny Dio had to make decisions about limiting the number of singers & guitarists that he could invite to play on this. I believe that in his mind he probably felt it wouldn't have been fair to have me be the only person involved to be on both sides of the individual performances. I can understand & respect his decision, if that was indeed what was happening. It was madness during the soloing sessions & a bit more personal during the singing, so I believe it suited my personaity best as a studio player to have sung on this project instead. I think playing solos in front of the likes of some of the finest guitarists around the scene at the time, would have been a bit too nerve racking for me to have done my best in that atmosphere. When I sung the lead on that song it was the next morning, after the group vocals & some of the soloing. Most of the press was around for the all of that crazyness that night. However, it was just me, Halford, Schon, Dio & a few others when I sang at 9am that next morning. I was the first guy to sing on the song, except Ronny, so it was cool to have been in on the early part of the singing vibe

workhorse
04-04-2012, 04:51 PM
I knew there would be some good stuff about this subject.
Didn't think about the archives.
My take is this was during a magic time for music that we may never see the likes of agian. :emoticoncry:

Dave Meniketti
04-05-2012, 02:49 PM
It was indeed a magic time for our style of music. It's quite a bit different now, but I'm finding these times to still be inspiring. This type of rock still lives on worldwide, now alongside a wider range of other genres of rock than in the mid 80s.

EricBirdmanBorboa
04-06-2012, 12:27 AM
It was indeed a magic time for our style of music. It's quite a bit different now, but I'm finding these times to still be inspiring. This type of rock still lives on worldwide, now alongside a wider range of other genres of rock than in the mid 80s. well dave aside from ronnie r.i.p thats a tough loss most of these legends are still alive lets all do a rock mission and have a big ole reunion! ive found literally everyone one in the video is still alive i truelly dont believe we will never not see this line up again its possible!

Student of Dave
04-06-2012, 12:41 AM
You're forgetting about Kevin, Birdman.

EricBirdmanBorboa
04-06-2012, 01:04 AM
You're forgetting about Kevin, Birdman. i didnt forget mr.dubrow r.i.p

Student of Dave
04-06-2012, 01:17 AM
Oh, you said that 'literally' everyone else is still alive in that video' so I thought you were forgetting that Kevin had passed too.

Glad you dig the Hear N Aid though.

EricBirdmanBorboa
04-06-2012, 01:57 AM
Oh, you said that 'literally' everyone else is still alive in that video' so I thought you were forgetting that Kevin had passed too.

Glad you dig the Hear N Aid though. i said most are still alive i figured not every one but most

EricBirdmanBorboa
04-06-2012, 02:07 AM
I just had to point out i made an oopsy i could never ever get enough of those rockers

Y_shamus_T
05-02-2012, 03:15 PM
New here... Just a general query to wonder if they are going to manage to get to the north west of the uk this october... manchester, leeds, liverpool at all??... Seems they have been booked for eveywhere else. wann ahear the... Meanstreeeeeek!!

StruckDown Forever
05-07-2012, 11:43 AM
What's the debate? He sings the first line of the song and then again on the bridge. It's all in the video.

Thats pretty good just from memory, except...(Off the top of my head):
"They are calling you, calling you...yeah" Geoff Tate... not Ronnie

Michael :Emotesnoopy:

No Regrets
05-07-2012, 06:08 PM
"They are calling you, calling you...yeah" Geoff Tate... not Ronnie

I think Tate is later in the song... he does the second " we are calling you "

Canuck
05-08-2012, 02:17 AM
"They are calling you, calling you...yeah" Ronnie

"We can be strong, we are fire and stone" (Eric Bloom)
"And we all want to touch a rainbow" (Paul Shortino?)
"But singers and songs will never change it alone,
we are calling you, calling you" (Geoff Tate)
"We're the beating of a heart, a beginning with a start" (Don Dokken)
"Forever we will shine, yeah" (Shortino?)

Hey Ms. Dio, you said you were gonna re-release this...we're waiting!! 02cents

broadz
05-08-2012, 02:55 AM
New here... Just a general query to wonder if they are going to manage to get to the north west of the uk this october... manchester, leeds, liverpool at all??... Seems they have been booked for eveywhere else. wann ahear the... Meanstreeeeeek!!

They've played Manchester every year for the past six years - as Jill has already explained, they couldn't manage the Academy this year. Rock City is probably the nearest venue to Manchester - and its on a Saturday night.

If you really want to go see them, travel to Nottingham the way us Yorkshire folk have done since Leeds/Bradford/Sheffield dropped off the radar.

PS Why have you posted your question in a thread about Hear'n'Aid which was (wrongly) put into the Meniketti rather than Y&T forum in the first place?

StruckDown Forever
05-08-2012, 01:50 PM
I think Tate is later in the song... he does the second " we are calling you "

I saw the video on VH1 Classic last night and... I stand corrected.