PDA

View Full Version : Great Say Goodbye Cover!

Terr
12-02-2008, 07:27 AM
This is AWESOME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXhDIIwVAzo

The axmon is RIPPED~ look at those abs!!!!!! & he Rips It Up!!!!!!!

smithy 2004
12-02-2008, 12:15 PM
brilliant version.whos the charlie atlas shredder on the flying v gibson? geetar?lol.that was kool.
kanpai.
wj.

Robert
12-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Very cool Terr, always good to see music from the blue side out there, I never get tired of listening to that album!

Dave Meniketti
12-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks for digging that up Terr. Was great to see someone else do a Meniketti tune live, and at a festival Y&T has played at too. Very cool. It made me proud to watch the video and see that they did a very nice job of it too.

Oh yeah, boy is that guitarist ripped! I'll trade him a guitar for his stomach any day. :gig:.

ian
12-04-2008, 05:28 PM
skinny no meat puff!!!

ya need to be beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!!!

I'm off to hurl some weight around

or maybe I'll just sit down and do nothing

ian

bassangel69
12-04-2008, 07:41 PM
that was an excellent cover!

....the guy may be ripped, (and he is RIPPED :D) but he doesn't have Dave's soul....

tara

toyhouse
12-04-2008, 08:44 PM
that was an excellent cover!

....the guy may be ripped, (and he is RIPPED :D) but he doesn't have Dave's soul....

tara

I agree.
In fact - not only that - it could be that his big arms were getting in the way?
You know - slowing him down a bit?
I'd like to think so. Back to the my beer. :EmoteShrug:
Jim.

StruckDown Forever
12-04-2008, 09:37 PM
WOW!!! :eek: Great find Terr. :00000003:

You see that Dave? Just goes to show somebody IS listening to you besides us. I thought they did a great job on the song.
Glad to see you're happy w/it too. :)

Michael :Emotesnoopy:

Terr
12-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Thanks for digging that up Terr. Was great to see someone else do a Meniketti tune live, and at a festival Y&T has played at too. Very cool. It made me proud to watch the video and see that they did a very nice job of it too.

Oh yeah, boy is that guitarist ripped! I'll trade him a guitar for his stomach any day. :gig:.

My pleasure, Dave! I was looking for YOU playin' it & found this. Pretty damn good, huh?
The guy misses a note here & there & hits some sour ones too but all in all THESE GUYS ROCK!
Kudos to the Bassmon too--a fellow lefty...& the keyboardist looks like he's givin' it his all tooo

DMB oughta get back together soon & play s'more gigs...and film a DVD!
How 'bout scheduling it for Dec. 12th, 2009? ;)

layla915
12-05-2008, 01:52 AM
NIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!! :lovies3d:

Oh and they sound great too!! :p

Glad you liked it too Dave - love it when others pay tribute to you and do it so well.

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
12-05-2008, 05:42 PM
I thought it was good... but it ain't no Dave. :tsk:

You really notice the difference in "soul" in the song when it's a cover vs. when Dave plays it.

FordWheeler
12-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Great rendition of the song. BUT, as others have said it doesn't have the same emotion and feel as when Dave plays it. That might just be me being prejudice. When Dave plays it, it brings a tear to my eye.

layla915
12-06-2008, 07:52 PM
No, not dave of course... but

it's really really cool to hear a band as far-flung as the netherlands choose a meniketti tune to cover.

it's impossible for anyone to match dave's passion and skill.

it's a commendable cover of an excellent and probably very challenging piece of music by an inimitable artist.

So, if anyone has done or can find a better live cover version of that tune, send the link, pronto please.

smithy 2004
12-07-2008, 08:14 AM
that was enjoyable by the guy at the festival.anyone get his name?but god couldnae play it any better than dave meniketti.lol.theres only one meniketti after all.lol.he he he.
kanpai.
wj.

furukuma
12-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Cool!
Thank you Terr!
Good cover makes new Dave's fan.:party06:
I recommend adding "Play excellent Y&T and Meniketti cover" to street team" page.:00000003:

Jimmy CX
12-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Buff Man!!!

The Garage Sale Man
12-15-2008, 09:47 PM
that was cool, it will be great someday to attend another Meniketti show.

Marcel Everts
12-17-2008, 01:52 AM
Hello there! Nice to read all the critics about this song . I'm the bassplayer of the band who plays this cover. The bands name: Wide Open. www.wide-open.nl
We never had the intention to duplicate Dave because that's impossible.
No-one plays it like Dave because it's his feeling he lays on the strings with his own soul and blues in it.
The reason that we play this song is that we really like his work and especially Say Goodbye. When we play this song live, a lot of people ask us who's song it is. Let's hope they go to the shop and buy Dave's albums!

Wide Open is a band that plays covers and songs written by themselves.
We try to play the covers with our own personal flavour on it. We don't want to copy the songs because that's not fun and almost impossible.

Again, thanks for the critics and maybe we can support Dave on his tour? (Dave? ) We promise not to play Say Goodbye, haha!

Greetings, Marcel Everts

Terr
12-17-2008, 02:35 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/b300/Squidley/NightSquid/0024.gif Marcel~

Damn good job by all you guys--I love that bit you play at 3:15, my fellow lefty. :00000003:

Love your Jamerson quote tooo

Marcel Everts
12-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Hey Terr,
thanks again for starting this thread. Cool that you've noticed that chop at 3:15! :). That's a good example what I was explaining before. I hear that the bassplayer plays a chop at that point, but I don't want to copy that, because I want to play what I feel.
Yeah, I also love that quote of James Jamerson. He's still one of my favorite bassplayers ever :)
Grtz, Marcel

Catman
12-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Next time when they play in my backyard I will be there,will watch the website !!
Back to my beer....

Bry
12-19-2008, 03:00 AM
What a brilliant find Terr...Awesome playing, a real tribute. Will be listening to that next time I drive on a lonely, high speed, nightime motorway journey.....Music, Man & Machine in perfect harmony..... Off to my beautiful daughters 21st now...Partying all the way to New Year from this moment on:emotePartySmiley:

RockUFOrever
12-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Hello there! Nice to read all the critics about this song . I'm the bassplayer of the band who plays this cover. The bands name: Wide Open. www.wide-open.nl (http://www.wide-open.nl)
We never had the intention to duplicate Dave because that's impossible.
No-one plays it like Dave because it's his feeling he lays on the strings with his own soul and blues in it.
The reason that we play this song is that we really like his work and especially Say Goodbye. When we play this song live, a lot of people ask us who's song it is. Let's hope they go to the shop and buy Dave's albums!

Wide Open is a band that plays covers and songs written by themselves.
We try to play the covers with our own personal flavour on it. We don't want to copy the songs because that's not fun and almost impossible.

Again, thanks for the critics and maybe we can support Dave on his tour? (Dave? ) We promise not to play Say Goodbye, haha!

Greetings, Marcel Everts

Thats what I like to hear. a band should play a cover song there way not a exact duplicate of the tune itself.Put your on stamp on the tune,it may still be a cover tune but it's from that's artist perception of the tune

I like it and your right,it would be really hard to duplicate any DMB tunes but ya'lls band did the song complete justice IMO.

Hats off To Ya'll,

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
12-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Bravo to you guys for bringing Meniketti music to a new audience!

bosk1
12-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Fantastic! You guys did a really great job of staying true to the original while still putting a bit of your own stamp on it. And as far as the comments about "feel," nobody can put Dave's "feel" and "emotion" into one of Dave's songs like Dave can. That's what makes Dave Dave. But there is plenty of feel, emotion, and groove to this version, and, to me, it comes through all the more because it is your own emotion instead of you guys trying to duplicate Dave's/Myron's/Chris'. You guys are clearly not just going through the motions and just playing the notes--you are feeling and enjoying the groove of the song. Again, great job!

Marcel Everts
12-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Well, thanks again for your nice words.
Get us over there to play with Dave! Haha! :party06:.

Greetings, Marcel

bosk1
12-31-2008, 08:48 AM
Marcel, I also posted a thread about it here: http://dreamtheaterforums.org/forum/index.php?topic=20952.0

Unfortunately, not many comments. But, hey, exposure is exposure, right? :D

Babe Magnet
12-31-2008, 01:02 PM
I dug it. No, he doesn't sound just like Dave but I dig the tone and different vibrato. Vibrato's like a fingerprint, everybody's is different. I applaud the effort here. Uh, I don't plan on playing publicly with my shirt off...ever.

Dave's solo stuff does need to be played publicly.

Marcel Everts
01-09-2009, 03:06 AM
Hey, thank you for dropping this video on the Dream Theater Website!
Every Exposure is welcome! :thanx_1:

If you like DT, maybe it's interesting for you: Ckeck my other band on:
www.splinteronline.com or www.myspace.com/splinteronline.
GrtZ, Marcel

Mistreated
01-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Killer!!!

The audio/video work is fantastic. Good job who ever did that.

Manic Depression was good to:znaika:

Terr
02-26-2009, 05:58 AM
Here's a great slideshow for Say Goodbye done by Bill Frates aka Rock Image:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=20071226

Master guitarist & master photographer!! :headbang:

Bry
03-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Well, thanks again for your nice words.
Get us over there to play with Dave! Haha! :party06:.

Greetings, Marcel

Never mind that, have you updated your site showing where your playing this year, UK, or your local, looked in Dec and nothing posted for 2009?

Marcel Everts
03-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Hey there, You're right about the gig list for 2009. Today it's not so easy to get a good gig in our country. Besides that, our guitarplayer had an accident at the end of December, and it was not sure if he could ever play again in his life (!). I'm glad to say that he's doing well right now and we're looking around to play again. I wrote a mail to Dave if we can support him during his gigs in Holland, but I didn't get an answer. I think he's got a lot of these mails from other bands. Hopefully we can play live again in a short while..

Terr
03-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Wow~ Sorry to hear about your guitar player's accident, Marcel. Mighty glad he's ok!
ROCK ON!!!

layla915
03-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Marcel - Sorry to hear your guitar player was injured - and that his ability to play was at risk! Thankful to hear he's OK and able to play again, hope he's not suffering any other repercussions and has fully recovered/is fully recovering. Please send my wishes to him.

Marcel Everts
03-07-2009, 06:34 AM
Thank you for your kind words, I'll forward this to him. It's nice to see that there's a quick responding on this Forum! :)

Terr
03-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Yeah~ Tell him to keep playin' MENIKETTI toons real well too!!!

Jimmy CX
03-27-2009, 04:44 PM
This Thread is Old !! Just Like me!!!!

Terr
04-03-2009, 03:55 AM
This thread is damn good! Just like me. :p

RUSHHEAD666
04-05-2009, 10:21 PM
This thread is damn good! Just like me. :p

Except for the drumming part. :poke:

Mike Appel
04-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Nice interpretation of the song but that's not my hero.Give him 15 or so more years on the road and a few more life lessons and he MIGHT be able to put as much feeling into it as Dave does..

Terr
04-19-2009, 05:25 AM
So how's the buffed axmon doin'? Did you guys get gigs with Y&T yet?

Best regards

Marcel Everts
04-24-2009, 02:45 AM
Hey Terr,

Nice to hear from you again.
We didn't hear anything from the Y&T front so far..

I think we're not the only one who wants to support him.
:ylsuper:

BillRae
05-10-2009, 08:23 PM
always great to see bands follow the greatest!

Rock Image
05-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Wow, I didn't know that was on MySpace Videos.... Thanks for posting
that work of Dave!!
:00000003:

Here's a great slideshow for Say Goodbye done by Bill Frates aka Rock Image:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=20071226

Master guitarist & master photographer!! :headbang:

Bry
05-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Hey Terr,

Nice to hear from you again.
We didn't hear anything from the Y&T front so far..

I think we're not the only one who wants to support him.
:ylsuper:

Put your website back on again (all good publicity). I was looking at the bospop in case you were on again 2009, but can't see you on there, but do notice Foreigner, Jeff Beck and the australian Pink Floyd experience are on, to name but a few -should be a good weekend of music - better if you or Y&T were on though!