PDA

View Full Version : Ghosts in the Y&T Shell!

RUSHHEAD666
12-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Hey Jeff, Dave, or Jill or anybody who wants to explain this to me!

Call me naive but as far as this Forum works I am pretty much a simpleton around here.

That being said I remember being on this Forum last week at around 10:30pm and I realized that there were only two members on here at the same time!

Yep Thinlizzy and me!

Well when I looked closer I still saw that it was TL and me but the number count for members being on was 4 not 2.

What does this mean? Members can "slealth" around the Forum without their little green light lit??

I'm not a hiding kind of a dude so I would never turn on my cloak device.

How the heck do some of these members become "cyberghosts?"

Also why do they do it??

Just for sheer privacy issues??

Does not compute.

As the ad for the MOTEL 6 would say "We'll leave the light on for you!"

No pun intended! :)

Sincerely,

Casper The Friendly Ghost

Jill Meniketti
12-05-2006, 06:50 PM
It's an option in your User Control Panel (CP). It appears lots of people like to lurk in stealth mode. :)

~ Jill

RUSHHEAD666
12-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Gottcha!!

Thanks Jill!

DrUmM@sT3r
12-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Lurk, aol keyword Lurk, Luker

I tried it and the green light turned "red" Earl..............

I thought it was a bad trip and the "Vibe" was strange - so I went back to being the "Online" green light dude.

:confused:

RUSHHEAD666
12-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Lurk, aol keyword Lurk, Luker

I tried it and the green light turned "red" Earl..............

I thought it was a bad trip and the "Vibe" was strange - so I went back to being the "Online" green light dude.

:confused:

That is weird Mark.

The light really turns red when you enable the "stealth" mode?

I think I will stay green too.

Green with envy! :bigeyes:

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
12-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Some members feel like if they just want to browse the posts, they don't necessarily want people knowing their online and available to PM and such. It's just a privacy option.

DrUmM@sT3r
12-09-2006, 08:05 PM
I was just being sarcastic ........ :)

RUSHHEAD666
12-09-2006, 08:42 PM
You got me bro!

Good one!

My light is yellow sometimes.

It's the system telling me to yield and think twice before threading or posting!! ;)

fasteddie
12-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Yellows are green in my booK :lmfao:
I belive Yellow means step on it

RUSHHEAD666
12-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Nothing wrong with green and yellow Eddie!

Sincerely,

The Oakland Athletics Baseball Company

No Regrets
12-25-2006, 10:54 PM
You got me bro!

Good one!

My light is yellow sometimes.

It's the system telling me to yield and think twice before threading or posting!! ;)

Apparently you never listen to it??? :lmfao: :lmfao: :sign17:

I lurk because a lot of times I just stay logged on in here on my personal laptop then use my work laptop and then come back and look here and there on my personal laptop so instead of looking like I'm logged in 24/7.. I just lurk.

Nancy

RUSHHEAD666
12-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Hey Nancy!

You are correct!

I never listen to it!

Whenever I see a yellow light triggered either at a traffic light or on this Y&T Forum I put the pedal to the metal.

Speed Kills.

So do some posts on certain Threads! ;)

Love Always,

A Forum Killer

thinlizzy
01-22-2007, 07:34 PM
I originally thought this was a feature for the band members to utilize when they want to check out the forum without being bothered. Interestingly enough, only one member uses this option. At prime time on the forum there are more people using this feature than members in the band.

I thoroughly enjoy when the guys in that band are on line looking at the forum replies. Thank you gentlemen and even you too Phil as you are posting. Actually, I think Phil is posted out for last year. Well, maybe 2007 he will get the second wind and crank it up once again.

Case in point today. I am the only one on the board and 6 stealth stalkers. Must be running from the IRS.

Chip
01-23-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding why folks care if I'm stealthy or not.....:confused:

RUSHHEAD666
01-23-2007, 05:07 PM
I agree Chip it really doesn't matter about being cloaked like in Star Trek or choked like in Star Wars by Darth Vader.

Us Green Lighters can still tell who is on and who is off here anyway.

No big deal! The numbers never lie, just humans do.

Ever see the movie "Hollow Man?"

It's hard for the movie to see you when you are invisible.

Ever see that movie called "Stealth?"

Terrible movie, but it does make sense around these cold and lonely Slurp Spider Cyberwalls.

Sincerely,

John Carpenter and Chevy Chase ;)

RockHard
01-23-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding why folks care if I'm stealthy or not.....:confused:
I'm equally curious as to why people log on to the forum every day but don't want anyone to know they're here... :p

There's two sides to every coin, my brother... :fight:

I couldn't help myself... ;)

:beer:

No Regrets
01-23-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm in stealth mode... but I post all the time so it really doesnt matter.. you know I'm here. Who care's who does what. You can take yourself in and out of stealth mode quickly so just because you see some not using it doesnt mean they never do.. I don't get why anyone cares either. I will say it is amusing to see some pm'ng like mad when they don't like something someone posts... it's like clockwork to watch the pm frenzy going on.

Nancy

RockHard
01-23-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm in stealth mode... but I post all the time so it really doesnt matter.. you know I'm here. Who care's who does what. You can take yourself in and out of stealth mode quickly so just because you see some not using it doesnt mean they never do.. I don't get why anyone cares either. I will say it is amusing to see some pm'ng like mad when they don't like something someone posts... it's like clockwork to watch the pm frenzy going on.

Nancy
I guess 'top secret' mode protects against someone seeing when you PM someone... PM can be another nice 'stealth' function, I guess... :lmao:

I was just teasing Chip a bit... No need to justify or defend your browing habits... It doesn't bother me one way or the other...

I lurk because a lot of times I just stay logged on in here on my personal laptop then use my work laptop and then come back and look here and there on my personal laptop so instead of looking like I'm logged in 24/7.. I just lurk.
BTW ~ I noticed that you mentioned 'lurking' while you are at work... Since the forum is plainly visible whether you are logged in or not, why not just browse without logging in? Same effect... Besides, why do you care if someone sees you logged in 24/7?

To be honest, I think the whole thing... 'stealth mode'... 'ignore so & so'... etc. is kind of silly, really... There's plenty of stuff on here I don't find interesting... I just scroll right by it... but you never know when someone has something interesting to say... I don't dislike anyone here enough to 'ignore' them... It's not how I do business...

Personally, I don't really care about the browsing habits of others one way or the other... I just log in and type... Log off when I'm done... Everyone knows when I'm on... whether they want to or not... :eek:

I guess, they could always 'ignore' me... No problem here... :D

As for PMs when someone posts something they don't like... I'm not sure if you were referring to me in particular... If so, I would say that I usually have a PM or two waiting for me when I log in... Which I always answer... and I usually have a side conversation or two running while I'm browsing the threads...

I personally use PM all the time so I can having a direct conversation with my friends and don't think it's necessary or appropriate to post publicly... You know, things like:

"Did you hear the new album?"

"How ya doin'?"

"Did you see Nancy and eddie arguing again?" That sort of thing... :p

Plus, I'm saving bandwidth in honor of my buddy, Todd... :D

If I choose to call somebody out... I can do that right here... I will never say anything about someone that I won't say TO someone... :fight:

See? No 'stealth mode' with me... 100% up-front and personal...

I'd tell off Mother Theresa if the mood strikes me... It must be the New Yorker in me... :gig:

Different strokes, I guess...

fasteddie
01-23-2007, 09:52 PM
I have a question on all this

If im logged in and reading threads or talking to my cronnies and decide to go bang the old lady do i log out or leave myself logged on the same thread and make others watching my moves here wait an hour till i retun back to finsh what i was doing?

I will be right back this topic just reminded me of something :lmao:

Chip
01-23-2007, 09:56 PM
I
I was just teasing Chip a bit...
I caught the joke, bro....:00000003:

Chip
01-23-2007, 09:59 PM
I have a question on all this

If im logged in and reading threads or talking to my cronnies and decide to go bang the old lady do i log out or leave myself logged on the same thread and make others watching my moves here wait an hour till i retun back to finsh what i was doing?

I will be right back this topic just reminded me of something :lmao:
If you stay logged on , there are a few here that are privy to a certain function that can see what you're doing........ Ew!..... Eddie! Stop that!
MY EYES! MY EYES!......lol......... :gig:

RockHard
01-23-2007, 10:01 PM
I caught the joke, bro....:00000003:

That's cool, Chip... I wasn't trying to throw stones...

Just playing around a bit... Glad we were on the same page... :rocker2:

No Regrets
01-23-2007, 10:25 PM
I guess 'top secret' mode protects against someone seeing when you PM someone... PM can be another nice 'stealth' function, I guess...

I was just teasing Chip a bit... No need to justify or defend your browing habits... It doesn't bother me one way or the other...

BTW ~ I noticed that you mentioned 'lurking' while you are at work... Since the forum is plainly visible whether you are logged in or not, why not just browse without logging in? Same effect... Besides, why do you care if someone sees you logged in 24/7?

To be honest, I think the whole thing... 'stealth mode'... 'ignore so & so'... etc. is kind of silly, really... There's plenty of stuff on here I don't find interesting... I just scroll right by it... but you never know when someone has something interesting to say... I don't dislike anyone here enough to 'ignore' them... It's not how I do business...

Personally, I don't really care about the browsing habits of others one way or the other... I just log in and type... Log off when I'm done... Everyone knows when I'm on... whether they want to or not...

I guess, they could always 'ignore' me... No problem here...

As for PMs when someone posts something they don't like... I'm not sure if you were referring to me in particular... If so, I would say that I usually have a PM or two waiting for me when I log in... Which I always answer... and I usually have a side conversation or two running while I'm browsing the threads...

I personally use PM all the time so I can having a direct conversation with my friends and don't think it's necessary or appropriate to post publicly... You know, things like:

"Did you hear the new album?"

"How ya doin'?"

"Did you see Nancy and eddie arguing again?" That sort of thing... :p

Plus, I'm saving bandwidth in honor of my buddy, Todd... :D

If I choose to call somebody out... I can do that right here... I will never say anything about someone that I won't say TO someone... :fight:

See? No 'stealth mode' with me... 100% up-front and personal...

I'd tell off Mother Theresa if the mood strikes me... It must be the New Yorker in me... :gig:

Different strokes, I guess...

Yea I knew you were teasing Chip.. I wasnt necessarily responding to only your post and nothing was in reference to you in particular at all. I can't say I've ever seen you pm'ing.. it's always the same couple people when I do look.

I think people are reading into the Stealth mode a little too much... people do what they want and like certain levels of privacy for whatever reason.. no biggie. If you didnt know it was available and wondered how people were posting when you didnt see them online it's a good question. As far as why people do what they do... it's really not anyone's business. I have been in non-stealth mode and been asked why I read a post and didnt respond or why I didnt respond to a pm.. some people just take this stuff tooooo seriously. I prefer emails to pm's for privacy reason's too and pm's don't save bandwith :p Todd taught me that ! hehehee As far as why do I log in and not just browse.. you actually can't see pictures if you just browse without being logged in.

Ignore.. it's made my stay here at the Holiday Meniketti very nice... and declutter's it for me especially lately.. I've got a few on it now. We might be family but I have a couple cousins I don't care to hang out with at family reunions... too:D I wish I had an ignore feature there sometimes! When people admit to trying to make you post by rude comments.. its time to ignore them... it just makes the forum more pleasurable for everyone. I wish they'd put me on ignore too. Wouldnt hurt my feelings :)

Never been accused of not telling people what I feel either. Being in stealth mode only affects those wanting to see me.. but not how I post or am with people in here... I think we all just perceive "stealth" differently...
the cool thing is ... it's available for those that want it. :beer: Options are always good.

RUSHHEAD666
01-23-2007, 10:44 PM

Nancy

Yeah who cares! :00000003:

We all know what's going on here anyway!

I pm like crazy! Sassy is always pming someone! So? She has her peeps too. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I actually have made more friends on here than enemies! :D

No matter what man, this is the greatest Forum on the Planet. :bow:

Well at least my little egocentric mind thinks so. :spankass:

Damn I love Maclom McDowell as Alex in "Clockwork."

Seems like me droogies and I are out of line. Spare me some cutter me brother and sister and I won't mutter a word!

I will make sure to use a little ultraviolence on them tonight in a pm.

Maybe a little in out in out is needed. Perhaps a kroovy milkshake at the local Stealth Bar is in order first.

I'm buying.

Pass the Buck because I believe in Luck.

Sincerely.

Stanley Kubrick

No Regrets
01-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Nice one Earl hehehe you must have taken creative writing classes or something eh? ;)

Chip
01-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Sassy is always pming someone! So? She has her peeps too. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

That's just her feeble attempt at securing her stable.....
It's mine, now...... :D
Neener, neener, neener.... http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9905/neenerup1.gif

No Regrets
01-23-2007, 10:58 PM
That's just her feeble attempt at securing her stable.....
It's mine, now...... :D
Neener, neener, neener.... http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9905/neenerup1.gif

:lmao: :lmao: damn that's why she keeps pm'n me

yea you text me... better than pm's.... hehheee

RockHard
01-23-2007, 11:13 PM
Yea I knew you were teasing Chip.. I wasnt necessarily responding to only your post and nothing was in reference to you in particular at all. I can't say I've ever seen you pm'ing.. it's always the same couple people when I do look.
Fair enough... I do a bit of PM'ng myself... I assumed you were talking to me since you posted right after I did... which was the reason for my PM disclaimer...

I think people are reading into the Stealth mode a little too much... people do what they want and like certain levels of privacy for whatever reason.. no biggie. If you didnt know it was available and wondered how people were posting when you didnt see them online it's a good question. As far as why people do what they do... it's really not anyone's business. I have been in non-stealth mode and been asked why I read a post and didnt respond or why I didnt respond to a pm.. some people just take this stuff tooooo seriously. I prefer emails to pm's for privacy reason's too and pm's don't save bandwith Todd taught me that ! hehehee As far as why do I log in and not just browse.. you actually can't see pictures if you just browse without being logged in.
Also fair enough... I personally don't worry about who checking up on the 'Who's Online' feature to see what I'm looking at...

I use that feature myself... as a trick to keep me logged in...

That page auto-updates every few minutes, which keeps the forum from logging me out.... I don't really care what anyone else is looking at... ;)

...as for logging in, not seeing pics would be a blessing for me sometimes... threads with pics take "Forever" to load... I don't even look at the 'Show yourselves' section... :eek:

Chip's little sig animation is especially bad the first time I hit a thread he's been posting on... I can always tell when he's posted... The thread crawls along the first time... Then, the browser caches his 'Little China' pic and it's quicker after that...

If I don't log in, however... I can't ever remember what I've read or haven't read... Gotta take the bad with the good, I guess... :p

Ignore.. it's made my stay here at the Holiday Meniketti very nice... and declutter's it for me especially lately.. I've got a few on it now. We might be family but I have a couple cousins I don't care to hang out with at family reunions... too I wish I had an ignore feature there sometimes! When people admit to trying to make you post by rude comments.. its time to ignore them... it just makes the forum more pleasurable for everyone. I wish they'd put me on ignore too. Wouldnt hurt my feelings :)
Different strokes, I guess... I don't really dislike anyone here... so I don't ignore anyone...

I haven't had anyone try to provoke me into a "War of Words"... Well, maybe one person... and he's currently 'on hiatus'... or maybe a "Permanent Vacation"... ;)

Never been accused of not telling people what I feel either. Being in stealth mode only affects those wanting to see me.. but not how I post or am with people in here... I think we all just perceive "stealth" differently...
the cool thing is ... it's available for those that want it. :beer: Options are always good.
There you go... I prefer the direct approach (as you can plainly see)... ;)

"Stealth" & "Ignore" away, Nancy... :00000003:

Personally, it doesn't bother me either way...

I guess we just do business a little differently... :D

RUSHHEAD666
01-23-2007, 11:25 PM
Nice one Earl hehehe you must have taken creative writing classes or something eh? ;)

Oh yeah Nancy.

St. Mary's students hated me too, but I loved going there for my English Degree back in 1995.

I had a blast. :00000003:

Try reading "A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess. Shit I think I threaded this book on here a long time ago.

One of my favorite books and movies of all time.

Anthony invented his own language using Russian and American language and coined the term "Nadsat."

Classic shit.

You nailed it and I love it.

Bottom line.

Love,

Dim

No Regrets
01-23-2007, 11:29 PM
Rockhard,

Are you on dialup?? I used to have the picture loading problem too.. Terr's posts killed me hehehee. I'm lucky to have highspeed at work and home now so I dont notice pictures... although some I have to close the window quickly if I'm in the office hehehe that doesnt apply so much anymore.
I think there's an option to turn off graphics too...

I do like using the "new Posts" option too so I can only look at threads that have updates.. sure saves time.

Nancy :beer:

RockHard
01-23-2007, 11:51 PM
Rockhard,

Are you on dialup?? I used to have the picture loading problem too.. Terr's posts killed me hehehee. I'm lucky to have highspeed at work and home now so I dont notice pictures... although some I have to close the window quickly if I'm in the office hehehe that doesnt apply so much anymore.
I think there's an option to turn off graphics too...

I do like using the "new Posts" option too so I can only look at threads that have updates.. sure saves time.

Nancy :beer:
Yep... No choice here on Walton's Mountain... I don't live far outside of Richmond, VA (15 miles or so) but you'd think I lived on Gilligan's Island...

No cable... No DSL/FiOS... Can't even get satellite or cellular...

So... It's modem static for me... :mad:

Worst part is I work for the telco... They have zero plans to come out my way... I have the area cable planner on speed-dial just so I can bust his balls every few weeks...

Actually, he's a buddy of mine... Makes it even more fun to bust his balls... :p