PDA

View Full Version : Forum Memory Storage!

RUSHHEAD666
07-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Hey Jeff!

I just have a question about this forum. Does this thing ever run out of space? I mean is everything ever written on here still intact or do you have to delete the oldest stuff to keep the "cyber-train a rolling?"

Earl

arcadeguy
07-05-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm not answering for Jeff, admin or Dave but ill let you know what I have learned about VBulletin and Photopost.

The website will be here as long as Someone pays for the hosting and disc space. We use more and more disc space everyday so If additional space is needed the sites owner will have to, out of his/her own pocket purchase more space threw thier hosting company.

Vbulletin is a very powerful script but does have flaws. As far as know and from everyone I have ever met using VBulletin, it never really had any issues.

VBulletin has crashed on upgrades........ Never just crashed for no reason. Also since its all Mysql interfaced its up the hosting company to have a redundent server to backup all the data incase of an issue.

Using unverified VBulletin 'hacks' can crash VBulletin also. They have caused sections of vbulletin to crash and sometimes render it useless.

There is an option within the admin control panel to backup all data to a .zip file and its wize to do that everyday 3 months.

Photopost is the script used for Daves Photo gallery and it basically runs on the same script as vbulletin and the same advice.
:)

RUSHHEAD666
07-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Hey arcadedguy,

That really does help me understand VBulliten better. Very interesting!! Thanks for your input! It is very expensive to run VBulliten or is it very affordable? Does the bill go direct to Dave or does Jeff pay for it?? I understand this is private but I'm just a curious member!

Thanks!

Earl

arcadeguy
07-05-2006, 01:07 PM
One VBulletin licence can be purchased for $160. The owned vBulletin Forum license allows you to run the software on your site indefinitely. Along with this license, you will receive one year of free updates. Beyond the first year, you will have to pay a nominal fee, currently $30, to obtain updates for an additional year. This license includes free email and forum support. Phone Support is not included in the license price but may be purchased for an additional cost either at the time of initial purchase, or afterwards through the members' area.
http://www.vbulletin.com/

Mind you this doesnt include web hosting and domain ownership. That usually runs $10/year for the domian and about $10/month for hosting.
----------------------------------
The VBulletin skins are about $40 each
http://www.extremepixels.com/skins_vb.php
The photo Gallery is a different script from VBulltin and has to purchased seperatly. Since it is an addon more fees are involved.
Thats $129
http://www.photopost.com/index.html

If you thinking about do this, it can be expensive. There are free Blogs and Forums out there as an alternative but VBulletin in my opinon is the best hands down.
VBulletin is very versatile and modifications to it make it a whole new community!

arcadeguy
07-05-2006, 02:37 PM
One last thing!

The way VBUlletin actually works is pretty kewl and heres an easy way to look at. Compair it tothe way you get your email.

When you visit meniketti.com you are a guest until you log in. When you log in your password lets you access all data and perform tasks just like you email server.
The only difference is that the VBulletin script has a master password to it only accessable to the site admins. thats how they are "Ruler of all Posts" to coin a phraze! ;)

VB is awesome and I tell ya my knowledge of it is growing everyday..

I made a kewl "Flashing PM" script. I sent the code to Jeff to test and he hasnt replied yet. I hope he uses it, it works without problems.
All it does is created a flashing envelope next to your name when someone PM's you.

RUSHHEAD666
07-05-2006, 03:09 PM
WOW!! You know your stuff! Thanks for the information!! That really helps a computer illiterate guy like myself!

Thanks!
Earl

RUSHHEAD666
07-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Hey Eddie! That would be fun! But I have no time!

Rush on............

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
07-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Generally, I don't delete much at all. I keep the majority of the posts for future reference, especially those concerning Y&T and/or Meniketti directly.

We're definitely good for the foreseeable future as far as space goes. :D

Chip
07-05-2006, 09:02 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~getbudded/chrisfarley.gif

RUSHHEAD666
07-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Generally, I don't delete much at all. I keep the majority of the posts for future reference, especially those concerning Y&T and/or Meniketti directly.

Hey Jeff!! If you delete some of my "anything goes" stories how will I be able to write my book someday?

Just kidding..................

thinlizzy
07-10-2006, 11:53 PM
Terr is going to get quite the bill from

1) My Space board

2) Rowdy Jeff posting of pics just alone.

3) Whitesnake board

Dave Meniketti
07-11-2006, 12:19 AM
If you must know, I buy all the software for this site and lease my own server housed at an offsite location in the south bay.

ROCK & ROLL GIRL
07-11-2006, 07:52 AM
Generally, I don't delete much at all. I keep the majority of the posts for future reference

Oh Gawd, breathing heavy, panic attack, where are those

calm pills ...........:eek:

Jeff you have way too much power ahhhhhhhhhhhh:bigeyes:

DrUmM@sT3r
07-11-2006, 11:14 AM
If you must know, I buy all the software for this site and lease my own server housed at an offsite location in the south bay.

Well I'm glad you deceided to create this site, after seeing Y&T at the Ventura Theater "Live", I went to Yahoo did a search it came right up. (yandtrocks er meniketti.com) it took some time- too find time- to mess with the forum, but once I sat down and got into it one evening, I became a member and so here I am ....still.......... :)

One of my favorite places online

And Y&T "Live" in Southern California to look forward too :guitarist

Mark

Terr
01-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Thought for sure you would have to start charging Terr for storage:lmao:

I'd be more than willing to pay for the privelege of GOIN' OFF THE DEEP END here! :lmao:

Seriously. I love Earl's idea to make a book outa his posts here. It wouldn't make much sense without everyone else's too tho', would it?

It could be available in yearly volumes like an Almanac.
The Y&T/MENIKETTI Discussion Forum
Deluxe 2007 Edition Complete with all Terr's Photos

I've actually opened several photo storage accounts & haven't deleted any of the thousands of photos I've posted here.

One of my other fav sites accepts donations & gives special priveleges to contributing members. Also you get "Contributing Member" or Gold Member" next to your name.
I'm just a Contributing Member there.
Wonder what comes after Platinum Member btw. ;)

ROCK & ROLL GIRL
01-03-2008, 08:53 PM
I'd be more than willing to pay for the privelege of GOIN' OFF THE DEEP END here! :lmao:

It could be available in yearly volumes like an Almanac.
The Y&T/MENIKETTI Discussion Forum
Deluxe 2007 Edition Complete with all Terr's Photos

laughing my ass off! good one! haaa haaaaa:happy:

thinlizzy
01-03-2008, 10:00 PM
the insomnia cure section no problem. Probably fly off the charts. Drivel , drivel ..... 14,000 ways to say absolutely zero. :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Terr
01-04-2008, 06:45 AM
laughing my ass off! good one! haaa haaaaa:happy:

Nice to see ya respond to me here, Val! Just like the ol' days. =]) Guess I'll pull up lots more old threads. lol
Missed ya here!

<3

sue-min troll
01-04-2008, 03:42 PM
interesting stuff....i,m sure its worth the cost as a marketing tool alone, never mind keeping all us fans happy and having nice chats...

we keep getting more smilies...are they an additional cost??

ROCK & ROLL GIRL
01-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Nice to see ya respond to me here, Val! Just like the ol' days. =]) Guess I'll pull up lots more old threads. lol
Missed ya here!

<3

lol awe thanks Terr I just love when you admit to your crazy ways
we share that in common :gig:

RUSHHEAD666
01-05-2008, 11:22 PM
You two are too cute. :lovies3d:

Adding more memories for Forum storage.

See you two at the Fillmore.

Terr
01-08-2008, 05:15 AM
Ain't we tho'?? You betcha!! :headbang: