PDA

View Full Version : Most Memorable Meniketti Moment

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
07-04-2006, 10:47 AM
There's four "M's" for ya! :D

Mine was the gig at the Last Day Saloon a few years back. I think most of you who attended remember this gig as absolutely MAGICAL. Dave was so "over the top" on fire that night, we were all just stunned at what we were witnessing. I distinctly recall LAY ME DOWN that night as being absolutley out of this world!

What is YOUR Most Memorable Meniketti Moment? :guitarist

RockUFOrever
07-04-2006, 12:12 PM
I think the 1st B-Day Bash was pretty damn great but so was the Little Fox show in Aug of 2004 too.so undecided on this one.:raiseroof

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/RockUFOrever/DaveReachingBackguitargods.jpg

My1MsSteak
07-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Honestly? ... ALL OF THEM!

Janine :D

DrUmM@sT3r
07-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Getting to see and "Meet" the band @ Paladinos and having them sign a glossy photo was cool. That night was so fun, met Jill first, (she was very friendly and encoraged us to stick around after the show), and met Temptation and her brother, Race Mic and his wife (earlier), and No Regret's Nancy was very nice to us. All the Forum people I met were great.
Killer night of Rock, small club - up close and then hanging with the band afterwards, for me being in a rural town, that kinda of thing happens once in a lifetime.

Mark :D

Whiskey T
07-04-2006, 01:11 PM
The first b'day bash on Dave's 50th is a standout for me.

Jennette
07-04-2006, 01:19 PM
The all age show at the bordwalk in Sac - too trippy to see the little ones scurring about! The energy of the crowd was warm and fuzzy - so good and the show was just awesome - :guitarist

It was cool the watch the show with my son and Raiderhogs daughter curled up on me, watching, well, they insisted they were listening! the whole time - to one of the best guitar plyers ever!

Kenny bought a shirt from Jill and had a blast and told me I was the collest for weeks!

he has worn that shirt out!!

He is going to wear it next week to Jourey/Def leppard too- I hope it is better for thim that Vince Neil was:(

Chip
07-04-2006, 01:28 PM
The first b'day bash on Dave's 50th is a standout for me.
I'm with you Lynn - that show had a very good vibe. :beer:

RUSHHEAD666
07-04-2006, 09:04 PM
There's four "M's" for ya! :D

Mine was the gig at the Last Day Saloon a few years back. I think most of you who attended remember this gig as absolutely MAGICAL. Dave was so "over the top" on fire that night, we were all just stunned at what we were witnessing. I distinctly recall LAY ME DOWN that night as being absolutley out of this world!

What is YOUR Most Memorable Meniketti Moment? :guitarist

Hey Jeff, you know I absolutely adore an awesome alliteration! That's 5 baby!

Seriously, I love the 4 "M" title!

I would agree with most on this thread!!

THE 50TH BASH WAS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hanging out with Dave's dad while watching the original line-up blast through three tunes off of Earthshaker?? Priceless!! All the guest musicians and the big ass cake at the end!!!!

WOW!! WHAT A WONDERFUL MEMORABLE MENIKETTI MOMENT!!!!!!

Whiskey T
07-04-2006, 09:11 PM
And you didnt come up and say hi?? What's up with that Earl? ;)

RockHard
07-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Since I have never had the pleasure of seeing Meniketti live, I would have to say it would be the first time I heard 'On The Blue Side' (only a few months ago, actually)...

I knew I would probably like it... As it turns out, I had NO IDEA what I was missing... Truly a masterpiece from the first note to the last... :guitarist

:beer:

RUSHHEAD666
07-04-2006, 10:26 PM
And you didnt come up and say hi?? What's up with that Earl? ;)

Hey Lynn!!
I wish I knew you then!!!! I would have!

"Struck Down" is blasting right now!!!!

I just gave Zoe a Y&T lesson! I showed her the cd and then I pointed out the "Struck Down" lp I found today! She asked "which one is Dave, is that him?" and she pointed to Phil on the back of the record. I then told her "nope!" "This guy is Phil, this guy is Joey, here is Leonard and then Dave!"

I am sure Dave will read this thread so Zoe wants me to tell you Dave that we are listening to "Struck Down" right now!!! Nothing like having a nine year old daughter who is interested in Y&T!!

Glad it's a Holiday and not a school night or I would be in trouble!!!!

CHEERS TO Y&T AND THE FORUM!! Happy 4th!

Earl

RUSHHEAD666
07-04-2006, 10:56 PM
This is an interesting thread.

Since Jeff did thread this on the MENIKETTI GIG TALK section I also have a "MENIKETTI BAND" Memorable Moment.

It was one of the last Meniketti Band gigs performed at Bourbon Street in Concord.

I remember sitting on the couch with the wife at around 11:00 at night. I turned to Wendy and said, "Honey, I'm sorry but I can't sit here at home watching a dvd when I know that Dave Meniketti's blues band is playing down the street! I HAVE TO GO!!"

So I kissed the wife goodbye and jumped in the Xterra and jammed down to Bourbon Street! I am glad I did!!

First off I didn't miss a thing. Secondly though my night was made when they played "Dirty Girl!"

That was a great moment from one of My Most Magical Musical Meniketti Memories if you ask me!! My eyes popped out of my head like the girl who lost her one eye in the classic film EVIL DEAD II!!

I remember exactly. Dave said, "we haven't played this one in a few years!"

Sure enough, the opening chords of "Dirty Girl" started to resinate through my eardrums and the crowd went nuts!!

I bet Dave will do the Meniketti Band again some year. It's too good to put on the shelf for an extended period of time. Like a great bottle of red wine or a first class bottle of tequila, it will be opened and poured again!!!!

Cheers again!!!

Earl

Lauretta
07-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Of course the Birthday Bashs stand out above all, BUT, do you remember that show at Great America??? I swear it was perfect and afterwards I asked at the soundboard if they had recorded it. I was so disappointed that it wasn't. (We may go underground next time, LOL!) "L" :)

mtnbycr
07-13-2006, 09:08 AM
I saw Meniketti Band about 5 times and The Last Day Saloon show everyone brings up was probably the best.
Also I remember watching a show at the Mystic when they opened for Greg Rolie and kicked their ARSE all over Petaluma.
In that show Myron was on fire and I can vividly recall watching him break a bass string with his thumb and I instantly had a new favorite bass player!

Stereo Steve
07-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Well, as my avatar shows, it's pretty obvious why the first annual Birthday Bash will always be a high point for me. Really, is there any way possible to top something like that? (accept for maybe being hired permanently;) )

But after that, as for musical performances, from the first time I saw the DMB at the "Music in the Park" in Downtown San Jose, to the Contra Costa County Fair when ET was sitting in for Myron, all of the Birthday Bash's, and the very intimate performance at Moe's Alley in Santa Cruz, I'm hard pressed to choose a "Best" overall moment. Every time I hear "Take if Like a Man" & "Say Goodbye", those songs are so moving, which makes each of those moments the best. Talk about being able to take you on a ride! How does he do that?!?!?!?

I suppose if I had to chose 1 most memorable moment, the show at Moe's would have to be it when I finally got to hear "Train" which was my Dream Jam submission. I absolutely love that song and Tommy did a great job rippin' up the solo's on it! And Dave's vocals..... well...

All in all though, I don't think these guys can do a bad show. The more I think about it, I have to admit I'm still mourning the day of the announcement by Dave that there aren't going to be any more performances by these guys. What a loss for the music scene, local and abroad. I sincerely hope that their absence is short lived.

gman
08-10-2006, 09:05 PM
I've never seen a bad Y&T or DMB show and I've seen alot, but there are three that really stick out to me over the years. The Halloween show at Concord Pavillion in '82 when Randy Hansen and Motley Crue opened up for them. Black Tiger album was huge in the Bay Area and in the hard rock/metal community (anyone remeber KVHS radio?) and that show was like a big homecoming for them. That show was a culmination of alot of hard work that they had done to get to that point and it was awesome to see them play to a sold out and enthusiastic crowd. I was very happy for them and enjoyed the performance. Had just seen them at the same location the previous year with the Earthshaker tour to a smaller crowd so it was great to see them finally get their just due just a year later.

The first time I saw the DMB band in '01 at the outdoor stage at the Roadhouse in Sacramento was memorable. Had never seem Myron before and him and Dave were just in an unbelievable zone that night. I was digging their new music so much that I wouldn't have cared if they didn't do any Y&T. I wonder if Dave has a recording of that show. Would love to hear that again. Really was awesome to hear another side of Dave's playing.

Finally the Mystic show in '03 was great. Loved that they opened with Forever. Seeing Joey come out at the end and play a few songs was great too. Leonard was on fire as was the whole band that night.

One thing for sure, these guys always give it their all on stage and I know they wouldn't have it any other way. A win-win situation if ever there was.

Terr
01-02-2007, 12:17 PM
The Last Day Saloon shows were amazing...that first one & then the last one- when I first heard TRAIN....but Dave's 50th Birthday Bash is the MMMM for me. Another great one was the Moe's Alley gig when Dave dedicated Say Goodbye "to our friend Terr from the website forum" when I was on my way South to bury my mother. Dave's the greatest! Best guitarist in the world & a great guy!! :guitarist

bassangel69
01-09-2007, 03:20 PM
i have to say my one and only Meniketti show february 2005 smack dab in the middle of my Queensryche Jaunt of SoCal! (Dave, I told you at the Mystic I was coming there!) :D one for the record books...tara

nsw
01-09-2007, 07:32 PM
for me .. mid states rally a few years ago..
we ran onto some very cool forum people .. then got to sit in on daves dinner at the little diner that was connected to our motel.....

Tough Luck Ave
08-25-2009, 12:51 AM
I was just thinking back today about some great memories. I think I saw about 15 of Dave's Solo Band shows going back to 2000 at "At Sherry's" nightclub in Hayward. That place was like the size of a small living room. I remember Dave's parents were there and Phil too.

The 2nd Music in the Park show when they played 5 songs from the new CD and sold them for the 1st time that day.

The Santa Rosa show.

San Juan Capistrano.

The ICON in Palo Alto show.

and of course the Little Fox BdayBashes.

They all blew us all away. Myron's powerful Bass. Chris's Talented and Unique drumming style. and before Tommy Grasso's joining - Tony's B3 Hammond playing.

Bud Smoker PBH
08-25-2009, 05:22 PM
San Jose's Music in the Park.
I brought my 5 or 6 year old nephew, and we were up front. My nephew getting one of Chris's sticks signed. Now he plays drums and can really shred on the guitar.

pmsbull
08-26-2009, 02:10 AM
Never saw the Meniketti band live, so my best was finding out there was more Dave to be had on CD !

RUSHHEAD666
08-26-2009, 11:09 PM
What a great thread to resurface to the top!

Brings back great memories.
Looking forward to a new MENIKETTI blues cd after the Y&T record gets done.

:rock:

Just kidding!

Take your time with the blues.......

:guitarist

Rock Image
08-27-2009, 11:58 AM
I remember being soooo jazzed when Dave was going to do a Bluesy Meniketti Style CD. After years of great playing Y&T Style, I knew the CD was going to be awesome.... I Guess I was right
I am so happy to have those CD's. :clap2:

StruckDown Forever
08-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Thank god I was fortunate enough to see DMB once, that was at Mo's Alley.
Great show, great time, great night.
And getting the Electric Angel CD from Jill was an added bonus. :)

Michael :Emotesnoopy:

chuckman
09-01-2009, 11:50 AM
First show I saw of the DMB at the Last day Saloon in Santa Rosa - kiiler gig.

The second time was the Music in the park shows - fun show. My
lingering thought of this show though was my friend met his niece
there and she started giving my date some shit and trying to get
close to me! What a little ... Anyways.

The third time... can't remember the club's name at this point, but
it was at the Keystone Palo Alto. Very small crowd. Dave was soon
to release his second solo CD and played "I Remember" and was just
:wow_1::scared: Killer show. I think the Lara Price band opened and they
were great!

http://www.laraprice.com/

Oh ya, I also saw the DMB at the Morgan Hill Mushroom Festival! Pat Travers headlined, I believe. :EmoteSun:& Beer, great tunes. I think it was a good day, ya think? And, on the way out an old girlfriend screams
out OMG! Funny stuff.

Thanks for the digging this up TLA (Tom, right? Wow, its been a while)

Robert
09-01-2009, 04:49 PM
50th birthday bash, was always a huge Y&T fan but hadn't seen dave play in 15 years, went to the bash and heard the "blue Side" stuff live and was totally blown away, i was always into music and wanted to play guitar and after that show decided it was now or never and i've been playing guitar ever since, sitting in with my friends bands now and lovin every minute of it. Dave's performance that night, not only was the band on but you could tell that he and Myron were really feelin the music!

Tough Luck Ave
09-01-2009, 09:04 PM
First show I saw of the DMB at the Last day Saloon in Santa Rosa - kiiler gig.

The second time was the Music in the park shows - fun show. My
lingering thought of this show though was my friend met his niece
there and she started giving my date some shit and trying to get
close to me! What a little ... Anyways.

The third time... can't remember the club's name at this point, but
it was at the Keystone Palo Alto. Very small crowd. Dave was soon
to release his second solo CD and played "I Remember" and was just
:wow_1::scared: Killer show. I think the Lara Price band opened and they
were great!

http://www.laraprice.com/

Oh ya, I also saw the DMB at the Morgan Hill Mushroom Festival! Pat Travers headlined, I believe. :EmoteSun:& Beer, great tunes. I think it was a good day, ya think? And, on the way out an old girlfriend screams
out OMG! Funny stuff.

Thanks for the digging this up TLA (Tom, right? Wow, its been a while)

Yeah Chuck, you did remember my name right.

I brought this up when I was having some memories and thought I would start a new thread about them. But, I saw this one a couple of pages back and thought I'd bring it back for the people who may have not known about Dave's solo band.

That Palo alto show - formerly the Keystone PA was back in 2002. It was called the ICON nightclub back then. 3 things I remember about that show. Dave was doing a long back and forth Jam with the Keyboardist Tony Stead on Loan me a Dime, Andre Tarzy (from WHAT) on Bass inplace of Myron, and the horrible glitter smoke the nightclub used during the show. I think that stuff is still stuck in my lungs to this day.

here was the setlist for that show:

5-30-02 ~ The ICON - Palo Alto, CA

Dave Meniketti, Chris Miller-Drums, Tony Stead-Keyboards, Endre Tarczy-Bass

Mister Blister
Dirty Girl
Take it Like a Man
I Remember
Baby Blues
Say Goodbye
Angel on My Shoulder
Man's World
Until Next Time
Bad Feeling
Loan Me a Dime
Forever
Rescue Me

Check out the Meniketti Setlist section for more memories. I put up all those years ago, and I see I went to about half the shows listed.

chuckman
09-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Hey Tom!

Good to see you around. You seem to always have some decent reading
material - much appreciated (unlike myself :_sure:). Ah, the Icon, right! Funny
stuff with the glitter smoke! Still stuck in the lungs, hahaha. Maybe thats
why I seem to cough for nothing - Ok, not really, its a side effect of one
of my medications. Anyways ...

Take care.

:guitarist On!

Rock Image
09-04-2009, 03:09 PM
San Jose's Music in the Park.

I brought my 5 or 6 year old nephew, and we were up front. My nephew getting one of Chris's sticks signed. Now he plays drums and can really shred on the guitar.

I shot that gig and I'm sure I have a few shots of people up front, maybe I have one with the nephew and you. I'd have to do some search'n, so send me a e-mail, and if you have a pic of your Rock'n
nephew send it also.
bill@rockimage.com (bill@rockimage.com):rimshot: