PDA

View Full Version : Important Band Announcement!

Pages : [1] 2

Dave Meniketti
06-07-2006, 09:15 PM
After numerous attempts at trying to resolve musical performance differences, we (Dave, Phil & John) regretfully inform you of our split with Leonard Haze. This decision was painstakingly hard for us because of our love for Leonard as a brother. However for Y&T to continue performing and functioning as a band, it was a change we had to make. We want you to know that we didn’t take this decision lightly, especially knowing how popular Leonard is with Y&T fans.

Over the course of the last week and a half we auditioned many fine drummers from all over the country. We have selected a bay area drummer to fill the seat for the upcoming shows. His name is Mike Vanderhule and he’s a straight ahead drummer with great chops. Mike is a student of Steve Smith and has been a favorite for many years in the local music scene. More info about Mike will be released in the coming days.

While we know this will be a big shock to many of you, we hope after the initial reaction, you will indulge us the respect of having made a tough but necessary decision in order for the band to stick together and move forward into the future.

Respectfully yours,
Dave, Phil and John

RUSHHEAD666
06-07-2006, 09:22 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Today is a sad day indeed!! I wish everyone well though!!!

I am in a state of shock right now. I just cracked a Corona and did a shot of tequila!!!

Seems like Mike has a nice resume being in great company with Steve Smith.

I can't believe it but that's the business!

I still can't wait for Bourbon Street!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,
Earl

A&M SUX
06-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Wow, I honestly don't know what to say. Except :bigeyes: & :eek: !

"Shock" is without a doubt the appropriate word. All I can get out at this moment is I sincerely wish the best for Leonard and hope to still see him on occasion.

Not knowing the facts, I can say at this mark it is disappointing news :( . I'm not even sure I want to know. But I hope that perhaps its a temporary situation (?).

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Unfortunately, sometimes there's just nothing you can do to prevent a situation like this, no matter what. It's certainly more important for the band to continue at a level that the fans expect and demand from Y&T than to try and deal with an internal struggle that could possibly cause the band to drift a little off course.

As Dave mentioned, every possible thing was done to try and keep the band intact as it was. This certainly was not easy for Dave, Phil, John, or even myself to wrangle with. I saw Dave's stress level, and folks, it wasn't a pretty thing. We all love Leonard for who he is and will always treasure his history with the band.

With time comes change... some good, some bad, some indifferent. I think this change will end up pushing Y&T to possibly even better gigs and possibly even move the band onto other projects in the future.

Looking forward, I'm excited about the new possibilities and seeing a reinvigorated Y&T hit the stage in the coming months. I had an opportunity to watch Mike V. work out with the band and I can tell you he has a lot of potential, and seemed like a real nice guy on top of it. You know Dave wouldn't hire someone who didn't jive with the chemistry of the band... and I think Mike will do nicely for the upcoming gigs.

Please keep an open mind and as Dave put it, give the band the respect and the benefit of the doubt that they know what they're doing, and that nothing but the highest level of quality is good enough for themselves and their fans. After all, without YOU, the fans, Y&T is nothing. I think each and every one of you, keeping an open mind, will be shown that while this is a very serious change, it's a change that will push the band even further into the future.

Rockerbob
06-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Damn, tough news indeed. My best to all of you and I know it had to be a tough decision for all involved. Just wish I would have know about the auditions, may not have got the gig but to have played at least 1 song with the great Y&T would have ruled all!

fasteddie
06-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Maybe Joey and Leo can hook up again like before.
I still will hold out hope for a yesterday and today all 4 back playing the first two LP's all the way threw. :guitarist
Damn I'm so bummed now

RockHard
06-07-2006, 09:48 PM
:eek: :confused: :eek:

I don't know what else to say...

nsw
06-07-2006, 09:53 PM
sad news...
too bad the fun got lost in there somewhere...

fyi..
leonard was one of the first people there for joey a few years back..
damn shame when people are butting heads.
we all know there ain't a whole bunch of money in this..
i noticed when joey would show up the show would sell out..with leonard..
i knew this train wouldn't last forever...
without haze...
no tellin if this deal just got shot in the foot......
hands of time...............will tell.:biggrinbo

Jeff Bricker
06-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Wow sounds like the Death Knell approaches. :giveup:

Terr
06-07-2006, 10:05 PM
First I wanna say~ Best of luck & best regards to Leonard Fucking Haze! God bless ya, man. May all good things come to you & thanks a million for all you've done for Y&T & how much you've inspired me as a fellow drummer.

Dave, Phil, & John~ I have the deepest respect for you guys as musicians & good people...I know this must be a tough time for you & a hard decision to make. Best of luck to your future as Y&T!!! I'm sure Mike will be fine for the upcoming gigs. It sounds like he's got a good track record:

http://www.ajavu.com/bios.html

Has Jimmy been notified?? Much as I hate to see Leonard go...as happened once before...I'd LOVE to see Jimmy DeGrasso Rockin' Double Bass Drums for Y&T!! ....as he stepped into Leonard's shoes once before....

Don't be disheartened, folks. I have a strong feeling the best is yet to come!!!!!!!!

mightyproudeagle
06-07-2006, 10:06 PM
how many years has y and t been together?of those years how many were with leonard?whatever the problem is unless health issue, could be worked out!wow this is a major cut in the y and t family,if the situation can't be worked out then its a major lose to one of the best groups around.
come on guys get your shit together you are grown men!

mpe

SusanRocks
06-07-2006, 10:06 PM
I can only imagine what a difficult decision that must have been, for both the band and their families. It’s not an easy thing when your part of such a close nit group, there is a lot of history there, that’s for sure.

As fans, a line up change can be tough to swallow; each member of this band has certainly left an impression with the fans and a unique mark on Y&T’s music. I’m simply glad that we still have Y&T around after thirty years! How special is that!!

I for one, respect the tough decision that Dave and the band had to make, they had to put aside emotions and even a strong since of family history, all in effort to do what was best for the quality of the music and the future of the band.

We all know Y&T has been through line up changes before and each time they come back stronger than ever and continue to deliver great music. This is another chapter and I’m certain they won’t disappoint us! They never have. :D

Dave, thanks for keeping us in the loop and thank you again for all your efforts to keep Y&T moving forward. It means more than you know!

To Mike V. welcome aboard and get ready!! Cheers! ~Susan

Whiskey T
06-07-2006, 10:23 PM
So can I get my money back for the shows Ive already gotten tickets for?

Signed,
A bothered 30+ year fan.

bdevlin
06-07-2006, 10:24 PM
how many years has y and t been together?of those years how many were with leonard?whatever the problem is unless health issue, could be worked out!wow this is a major cut in the y and t family,if the situation can't be worked out then its a major lose to one of the best groups around.
come on guys get your shit together you are grown men!
mpe

Dude,
Did you even bother to read the post. "Musical performance difference" was the cited reason. I think that is somewhat specific enough. How would you have any idea what can and can not be worked out?

Babe Magnet
06-07-2006, 10:26 PM
I had heard about this very recently. Didn't know to believe it until I saw it here, from Dave. Best of luck to Leonard. Welcome to the new guy - as Ben Hogan once said, "You've just been handed the family jewels..."

nsw
06-07-2006, 10:34 PM
marty the hammer should have been auditioned..:confused:

hey babe.. maybe you guys can get leonard to sit in with you ?

No Regrets
06-07-2006, 10:41 PM
So sorry to hear this.. what a difficult decision for all. I will miss Leonard's playing and humor, it's always fun talking to him and Kelly after the shows. I wish him well and hope he keeps us informed if he is doing anything musically so we can show our support, as he'll always be a part of this family no matter where he is.

Dave thanks for the explanation.. what a tough thread to start. Welcome to the family Mike! You have very tough shoes to fill... I'm sure John can help you out with that :D I look forward to the reviews from Europe and the midwest/east coast. We'll see you in Concord with a big :welcome: HOME!

Take care guys.

Nancy

fasteddie
06-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Dude,
Did you even bother to read the post. "Musical performance difference" was the cited reason. I think that is somewhat specific enough. How would you have any idea what can and can not be worked out?

AND WHAT SHOW REVIEW DID I MISS IN THE LAST TWO YEARS
THAT SAID ANYTHING ABOUT A LEO'S PERFORMANCE OFF

ANSWER NONE

I better leave now before i really get pissed good luck guys and i will be over at Joeys site for now on with all the old timers for awhile.

Hey Roaddog find another date for Concord you can have both nights tickets
Just canceled the santa cruz order.

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Dude,

That is correct... Musical Performance was the main issue. Don't see it for something it's not. As I said, we ALL love Leonard personally, and we knew how much a lot of the fans love him as well, which made the band's decision that much more difficult.

As I said, this was unavoidable under the circumstances the band was faced with.

RockHard
06-07-2006, 10:50 PM
marty the hammer should have been auditioned..:confused:

hey babe.. maybe you guys can get leonard to sit in with you ?

What about Bob? (Like the movie...)

RockerBob's got a pretty good resume from what I've seen (and heard...)

This kind of throws a wet blanket on the DVD news and the upcoming shows (including Jaxx)... I was looking forward to seeing Leo bang the skins... I only got to see the band live with Jimmy (who was excellent, BTW...)

I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision for anyone involved... Must've been a serious issue... I'm not exactly sure what a 'musical performance difference' is, however... :confused:

Well, good luck to the new addition... you've got a tough act to follow...
Best of luck to Leo on his future plans... :beer:

Dave, Phil and John ~ I sincerely wish you the best in weathering the current storm...

Signing off for now...

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-07-2006, 10:53 PM
AND WHAT SHOW REVIEW DID I MISS IN THE LAST TWO YEARS
THAT SAID ANYTHING ABOUT A LEO'S PERFORMANCE OFF

ANSWER NONE .

Honestly, I think everyone was being "nice" and "understanding."

No one came on the board with the intent to hurt anyone else's feelings, especially a band member's, and that's the way it should be. There's being honest, and then there's being malicious... and honestly I DO recall a few reviews stating that Leonard had an "off night," but that's as far as they went. On some of those nights, they certainly could've went a lot further.

nsw
06-07-2006, 10:57 PM
"Musical performance difference".............. 250 seat shows?
LOL!:biggrinbo
something got lost in the mix there.
i hope it is a health issue..:bigeyes:

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-07-2006, 10:58 PM
"Musical performance difference".............. 250 seat shows?
LOL!:biggrinbo
something got lost in the mix there.
i hope it is a health issue..:bigeyes:

Whether Y&T is playing to a 10,000 seat arena, or a 100 seat venue, the quality level is expected to be top notch. That's why they're still around after 32 years.

DrUmM@sT3r
06-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Ok .....Ok .........let's be cool about this..........

No one..... I mean...... No one.....can "walk in another man's shoes" none of us (except the band, maybe Jeff, and few select) really know the situation.

So too take sides isn't really fair, too be upset? sure, Leonard is liked by so many "including the band".

so far now, I'm going to say Leonard you'll be missed bro and to the remaining members good luck.

Nothing against the new guy (fear of unknown), but Terr mentioned Jimmy, I dunno

I'm going to be open minded and not hasty to judge.

(and I thought David Lee Roth on Leno was a shock)

:(

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Not biting on that Rowdy. He was kicking major ass in Modesto just a few weeks ago. Im going to sign off now cuz I just cant stand this anymore. Im done.

Opinions will certainly vary, but I do know that it wasn't one particular show that was the cause of all of this... but a bunch of shows over the last few years. I didn't attend the Modesto gig personally, but what I can tell you is that Dave obviously did (*DUH!*) and he was, let's just say, "less than pleased" with the overall performance that evening.

No Regrets
06-07-2006, 11:03 PM
Isnt there some health related issues too? I thought I heard something about Leonard having some problems with his hands or something and he was in some pain during the shows. Forgive me if this isnt correct information, I dont want to be starting anything but I thought I had heard something about that. I also remember Leonard was going to have surgery at one point over Christmas a couple years ago or something?

Nancy

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Isnt there some health related issues too? I thought I heard something about Leonard having some problems with his hands or something and he was in some pain during the shows. Forgive me if this isnt correct information, I dont want to be starting anything but I thought I had heard something about that. I also remember Leonard was going to have surgery at one point over Christmas a couple years ago or something?

Nancy

Nancy, this is absolutely true, however it was not the deciding factor in his release. Leonard has worked those forearms VERY hard over the years, and he IS in some moderate pain after any given gig. Leonard felt he could work through it, with the proper rest and rehab. Again, while this may have been an outside contributing factor, the medical condition was not the final deciding factor in Leo's departure from the band.

Whiskey T
06-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Opinions will certainly vary, but I do know that it wasn't one particular show that was the cause of all of this... but a bunch of shows over the last few years. I didn't attend the Modesto gig personally, but what I can tell you is that Dave obviously did (*DUH!*) and he was, let's just say, "less than pleased" with the overall performance that evening.

Yeah the sound blew chunks and I was the only one that was honest enough to say that in my review of the show. But Haze was on that night as he has been in ALL the shows Ive seen in the past few years. Did I just get lucky and see Haze on good nights? I dont think so. But hey, what's done is done..........I cant change that. But I can change who I spend my money on. PS LEONARD ON A BAD NIGHT IS BETTER THAN MOST DRUMMERS OUT THERE ON THEIR BEST NIGHT!

mightyproudeagle
06-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Dude,

well "a musical performance difference" happens everytime someone messes up,missing a note or beat,singing the the wrong song,starting off when the rest of the band is not ready...........................whatever.

how many times do you think a band fu....up without learning from mistakes
how many years have the guys played and practiced.seems to me that there
is something else to this,maybe not whats as defined!

mpe

DrUmM@sT3r
06-07-2006, 11:10 PM
I know I'm probably out of line in asking this............

but was it a "Meter" issue that caused the "musical performance difference"

I understand Leonard was using a metronome through his headphones

I have never attempted to play with one, so I'm curious about it.

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Yeah the sound blew chunks and I was the only one that was honest enough to say that in my review of the show. But Haze was on that night as he has been in ALL the shows Ive seen in the past few years. Did I just get lucky and see Haze on good nights? I dont think so. But hey, what's done is done..........I cant change that. But I can change who I spend my money on. PS LEONARD ON A BAD NIGHT IS BETTER THAN MOST DRUMMERS OUT THERE ON THEIR BEST NIGHT!

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I respect your view. As I said, I was not there personally, but I do know that the rest of the band felt it was not a stellar performance.

I've been to countless Y&T gigs over the past 10 years... with both Jimmy and Leonard on the kit. I've seen it all... and I can tell you that while Leonard was, in the beginning of his return, pretty steady and tight, he definitely became looser as time went on.

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-07-2006, 11:14 PM
well "a musical performance difference" happens everytime someone messes up,missing a note or beat,singing the the wrong song,starting off when the rest of the band is not ready...........................whatever.

how many times do you think a band fu....up without learning from mistakes
how many years have the guys played and practiced.seems to me that there
is something else to this,maybe not whats as defined!

mpe

There is no hidden agenda here. No hidden problem within the band. What is being said is the truth, and the whole truth. We are really trying to keep this civil, and to make sure that everyone keeps their chins up during this trying time. Leonard deserves better than to have the band fire him for a "hidden problem" or whatever. What we said is what is true.

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-07-2006, 11:15 PM
I know I'm probably out of line in asking this............

but was it a "Meter" issue that caused the "musical performance difference"

I understand Leonard was using a metronome through his headphones

I have never attempted to play with one, so I'm curious about it.

I think we can safely say that the metronone headset was a result of the problem becoming bigger than what the band could bear.

nsw
06-07-2006, 11:18 PM
no offence to anyone.. band or forum...

but.....
this was all about fun and getting the band back together...
as long as all of the forum members and fans out there showed up... the party train would roll....and continue to roll.
with people stretching it out and traveling as far as they could afford to go .. show after show...
the band would be supported.
we all would do our best to spread the word..
we were on a "mission for god"...as elwood once said...
to get the ball rolling...once again........

so why not keep it in the family...
i know it aint steel dragon... but...
there is a forum member that can pound the skins...
keep it in the family...
why not keep it real and let it roll.

tough pill to swallow...
some ol timmers might turn cheek,
from a marketing stand point...
like in dokken.. levin probably plays better than lynch... but...it aint the same..
look at the crue....all original...same with jovi....
fans aren't there to see high tech music...
they are there to live in the moment from back in the day...
50+ yr old rockers ain't going platinum nowdays...not many anyhoo....

jmho and no offence to the masses...
lh&r.

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-07-2006, 11:20 PM
NSW,

ALL options were discussed in great length and detail. Believe me, every option that was available to the band was explored thoroughly and brought into consideration at the discussion table. We felt the decision was the right one for the band at this particular time.

SusanRocks
06-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Not knowing all the details of the situation, we have to respect that the band did what was necessary to move forward. I can certainly understand that some people will be disappointed. After all, this does represent a big change and you have the right to disagree, but before anyone goes out to get a refund or decides to skips a show, just give the new line up a chance…it’s the least we can do.

As Dave said, this decision was not made lightly and it was done with the future of the band in mind. I would certainly hope that 30 years of history, hard work and great music we all grew up on - would mean that we as fans could at least check out one show before we pass judgment.

Just a thought...

DrUmM@sT3r
06-07-2006, 11:25 PM
I bet Leonard didn't use metronome yrs back with Y&T, damn he should have went fron his heart, I believe he would have been better off.

Just an opinion of mine, but we all know Leonard has done some great Drumming in the past - all his own.

Well shoot sorry to hear Dave, Phil, and John, my concern now is will all of you have enough time to get tight with the new drummer before going abroad?

(one could say stress on the band or more so stress on the new drummer)

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Well shoot sorry to hear Dave, Phil, and John, my concern now is will all of you have enough time to get tight with the new drummer before going abroad?

(one could say stress on the band or more so stress on the new drummer)

You can bet that the pressure is ON! I think Mike will be up to the challenge, and I think the guys will come out at that first gig in Europe and just nail it.

You people have to understand, we're dealing with very creative people here in Dave and Phil and John... and they want to continue doing what they love for many years to come. As you may have noticed, a lot of us want new material. A lot of us want a quality DVD or 3. A lot of us want the best Y&T experience we can have. We honestly feel that this decision puts the band in the best position to accomodate all of you.

Tommy Mogren
06-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Oh boy, that indeed was a shock. I was hoping for an announcement saying "we're in the studio recording a new album" or something.... not this.

A true sad Y&T moment.

I respect the bands decision. They wouldn't do this if it wasn't for the best for the band.

Dave, thank you for giving us the details. Glad I didn't have to find out about this through rumours.

Leonard, Thanks again for the great shows you put up for us. Loved meeting you. Will look out for you, to see you rock again somewhere. Take Care. You're loved!

Mike, Welcome to Y&T! You're one lucky guy. Looking forward to meeting you in Europe soon. Now, get those CD's playing and start rehearsing!!! ;)

DrUmM@sT3r
06-07-2006, 11:34 PM
I agree with "SuSaN RoCkS" don't walk on these guys - go to a few shows and give them a chance. There is no doubt that Dave, Phil, and John are "seasoned" players and have seen it all over the yrs. Let them take their knowledge and fire and mix it with the new drummer's fire -

they have done so much for the fans..............we must continue to give some back......
via support

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-07-2006, 11:35 PM
I agree with "SuSaN RoCkS" don't walk on these guys - go to a few shows and give them a chance. There is no doubt that Dave, Phil, and John are "seasoned" players and have seen it all over the yrs. Let them take their knowledge and fire and mix it with the new drummer's fire -

they have done so much for the fans..............we must continue to give some back......
via support

I could not agree more. For all they've given, please give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. I think you'll find that while it's not the most popular decision, you'll understand it once it settles in a bit.

SusanRocks
06-07-2006, 11:39 PM
You people have to understand, we're dealing with very creative people here in Dave and Phil and John... and they want to continue doing what they love for many years to come. As you may have noticed, a lot of us want new material. A lot of us want a quality DVD or 3. A lot of us want the best Y&T experience we can have. We honestly feel that this decision puts the band in the best position to accomodate all of you.

Well now there's some good news!! I'm one of those "lot of us" who would LOVE to hear some new Y&T material and see a DVD from all those great shows! Thanks for reporting the "up side" and on that note ...goodnight!

No Regrets
06-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Did they try finding Joey Kadura??? After all he has played with the band before??:p

Terr
06-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Same situation happened last year with my other fav band, Whitesnake. Marco Mendoza quit the band abruptly to work with Soul Sirkus & DC had to get someone straightaway for upcoming shows. Anuzza Bay Area lad - Uriah Duffy - had only days to rehearse with the band & did an AMAZING job....& continues to do so. So hold on to your hats & tickets folks--the ride is far from over.....

DrUmM@sT3r
06-07-2006, 11:41 PM
I'm still gonna make a Concord Show and bring my 9 yr old son (well 10 by then)
he told me yesterday if my girlfriend and her daughter cannot join us - he said "Daddy you and I can go - just the 2 of us" I said "Ok lil Buddy we're there" and he smiled.

I'm not gonna let him down and hopefully I can get him in a meet and greet before he falls asleep :)

(havin' 1 more beer for Leonard before I sign off)

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-07-2006, 11:41 PM
Did they try finding Joey Kadura??? After all he has played with the band before??:p

Joey Kadura was contacted, but he's much too busy performing his duties as David Lee Roth's hair-dresser.

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-07-2006, 11:43 PM
I'm still gonna make a Concord Show and bring my 9 yr old son (well 10 by then)

I'm not gonna let him down and hopefully I can get him in a meet and greet before he falls asleep :)

That's the attitude! Anyone who thinks this band will not rebound from this and come out with a newfound energy is kidding themselves. With talent like Dave and Phil still heading up the band, there's NO WAY they'd ever half-ass a Y&T gig... EVER.

No Regrets
Joey Kadura was contacted, but he's much too busy performing his duties as David Lee Roth's hair-dresser.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

jonathon.
Jesus. That was a shocker.

What can i say:confused:

Thanks for the memories Leonard:beer:

Welcome Mike. I hope you have as an enjoyable ride with the band.

Lets not forget this though. Y&T is STILL rockin....lets not lose sight of that.

Heres to many more years:beer:

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Lets not forget this though. Y&T is STILL rockin....lets not lose sight of that.

Heres to many more years:beer:

AMEN, my brother Jonathon! :beer:

Terr

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

DrUmM@sT3r
Thx Jeff I am trying to be positive

I have to go now almost midnight and laundry in the dryer

I'll post tomorrow at work after "some" dust settles

take care all

night

No Regrets
06-07-2006, 11:48 PM
That's the attitude! Anyone who thinks this band will not rebound from this and come out with a newfound energy is kidding themselves. With talent like Dave and Phil still heading up the band, there's NO WAY they'd ever half-ass a Y&T gig... EVER.

YEP!! I have no doubt my face will continue to be melted at every gig... speaking of which.. is the CATALYST on sale yet??? :D It'll be nice to hit the beach at the end of summer...

Nancy

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-07-2006, 11:49 PM
YEP!! I have no doubt my face will continue to be melted at every gig... speaking of which.. is the CATALYST on sale yet??? :D It'll be nice to hit the beach at the end of summer...

Nancy

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about... the sun, the beach, and Y&T!

The Catalyst should be on sale soon. I don't think it is yet, however.

jonathon.
06-07-2006, 11:52 PM
At the risk of offending all my American friends, who i love dearly:D

"We get to see the new drummer before you lot":p :banana:

Dives into bunker:giveup:

SusanRocks
06-07-2006, 11:57 PM
At the risk of offending all my American friends, who i love dearly:D

Sure Jonathon...you had to go there!! And bring your dancing banana with you. So not fair!
We'll need a full report on the show and the new guy...I have to wait until Chicago.

No Regrets
06-07-2006, 11:58 PM
At the risk of offending all my American friends, who i love dearly

:mad: You brat .. we will expect a FULL, DETAILED review... and if you call.. I will answer the phone ( sorry bout last weekend!:( )

Nancy

jonathon.
06-08-2006, 12:00 AM
Sure Jonathon...you had to go there!! And bring your dancing banana with you. So not fair!
We'll need a full report on the show and the new guy...I have to wait until Chicago.

Sorry:o

I bet there are a few people thinking of making the trip over though:raiseroof

jonathon.
06-08-2006, 12:00 AM
:mad: You brat .. we will expect a FULL, DETAILED review... and if you call.. I will answer the phone ( sorry bout last weekend!:( )

Nancy

:lmao: :lmao:

No problem

ZoSo
06-08-2006, 12:26 AM
Wow, that was very unfortunate news.

However, I'm all in for whatever it takes to get some more quality Y&T records. I cannot deny Leo's big influence for the classic Y&T sound, but to me Y&T has mainly represented Dave's incredible guitar/singing talents and Phil's song writing skills.

Personally, I'd be glad to see Y&T moving into a bit more bluesy direction... ;)

Student of Dave
06-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Well the Y&T drummer debate is definitely settled now. If he got 'looser' than he was at the beginning of the reunion 5 years ago, I can only imagine the mess. Kinda surprised, but not really.

I'd really be thrilled if the upcoming shows were with Jimmy. It's tough to see the band lose another 'key guy' in the band. But I guess Dave and Phil have always been 85 to 90% of the band anyways. Hope the new guy is cool.

daddy
06-08-2006, 01:14 AM
Yep. It is always a hard pill to swallow when an original member of the band has to leave. It always seems to take some of the "magic" out of seeing the band live. But, after watching John in Modesto for my first time, I saw just how great he stepped up and help maintain that "Y&T" sound. I was won over.

Yep. Leonard was great and will always have a special place in Y&T history...no freakin doubt. He built the throne, but now it is time for someone else to fill it. I understand the decision, and most of you band fella's out there should too. When the whole band notice's something that is altering the way things should be, something has to be done. I am sure they had plenty of discussions between them all ( including Leo ) before the decision was made...that is how pro's work.

Yep. Am I still going to get to see Y&T again...YOU BET! Am I gonna take to the new drummer right away? I don't know. But I am sure glad I am going to have that chance, and be able to continue to see the band and hear the songs that made my youth more meaningful.

Rock on Leonard...you were awesome!

peace out,
daddy

The Dude
06-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Having made all the shows in state this year except one the mounting tension was clear and imho reached the breaking point in the kennel club and boiled over in Modesto as for this being resolved frankly I don't see it as a long time fan I love the original lineup but the writing was on the wall for anyone who was not blind to see this difference some of this being the comment Dave made to a hungry crowd in sac that some of us want to play all night and others (clearly a tired and hurting Leo ) was not into it for what ever his personal reasons on the other hand I saw three members who wanted to play longer and rip the roof off the joint with a voracity some 50 year old men cant keep up with as a nurse I have to admit I was sometimes worried about Leo I hope I am wrong and his health is stable and he is able to do what he wants musically I will always treasure the past few years and will still be here to support all the members of Y&T Past Present and Future My Prayers go out to all the band members and support staff in this difficult time. and hope the transition time proves to be what the band needs to be in top performing shape

RUSHHEAD666
06-08-2006, 02:04 AM
Whether Y&T is playing to a 10,000 seat arena, or a 100 seat venue, the quality level is expected to be top notch. That's why they're still around after 32 years.

I hate to disagree at this stage of the night but I can never see Y&T sell 10,000 seats in America in today's market. (without Leo, there goes the Halloween Bash down the corporate drain!) Maybe in Europe, but now that Leo is gone, how many fans overseas are going to be pissed off and rip up their tickets in protest? I would! I actually like the Whiskey T approach. Maybe I posted my response way to soon!!

I am getting phone calls all night over this shit. My wife is pissed off because I was on the phone all night! Oh yeah and that couple at my daughter's softball game who I convinced to get Y&T tickets for Bourbon Street on Friday Night are also bent out of shape!

I called them tonight and told them that Leo was fired and my buddy's wife called me a fucking "nut job!!" So now I told them that I would buy their tickets if they would still come to the show!!!! They want no part of Y&T anymore!! I feel like I sold them a bad bill of goods!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

This is a tough situation. As loyal as I would like to remain I would love to hear the real reason for Leo's departure. This musical difference con is insane. Is Leo too old to Rock N Roll? I was there that night he wore those awful Mickey Mouse Ears and the lame headband. A Clockwork Orange perhaps? Not good enough to play the drums anymore, but it was a sell out at a tiny little nightclub in San Francisco??

Politics are bullshit and I stirred the pot on this Forum for some time now and all we loyal fans get is MUSICAL DIFFERENCES??? Look, I am a small business owner with my father and it's all about the money. If not, then I think that Leo is not playing up to par, and I think he was hitting his marks fine!!! I play too!! Not that I am any great drummer but I have chops but who cares about me. It seems like it's all about EGO and being politically correct. And this is a place where I just mentioned on THINLIZZYS' thread that this was the greatest place to post and to be a family. Now there are politics and rebellion even here now. Is anything sacred?? NO!!

Why the hell would you guys kick Leo out of the band right before the Euro Tour?? It makes no sense to me unless you are concealing the truth about Leo and his health or his dedication to the group. Shit, one week I am pumped about the dream group with Dave, Myron and Dennis Chambers and now who gives a shit. I guess because now Leo is gone and some local dude named Mike has to fill the family jewels on the drums. It makes no sense to me but I'm just a fan. A dedicated stranger to all of you.
A nothing.

A person who just tries to be witty and have a good time here who at this point doesn't care.

Some family.

Some decisions have been made.

I can't wait until August. Hot summer nights withough Leonard Haze. Hey at least even DEF FUKING LEPPARD kept their drummer, and that poor son of a bitch lost his arm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I hate modern Def Leppard but I am still going to that show!!!!!!! Well maybe not now thanks to this disasterous night. Rock n Roll can sure be a letdown and this is the icing on the cake.

Just send me a big old fashioned cup of SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!

I know!!!! I will always love Y&T!!! Just please do me a favor and DO NOT GET JIMMY BACK ON DRUMS!!!!!! Sorry Terr, anybody can do what Jimmy does on the double bass. Maybe Tommy Aldridge can play for Y&T!! Now that guy CAN play the REAL DOUBLE BASS!!!!!!!!!!

I will never understand why so many Y&T fans love that guy. Jimmy can play his double bass drum pedals in his sleep. He is Mr. Going Through The Motions live. Nothing that really sticks out to me. He is and always will be a great studio drummer. That's it.

Hey Dave!! I would go all out and hire Dennis Chambers to back Y&T!!! Phil and Dennis!! YES!

Now that would sell tickets!

I love wasting ideas here. As Rodney Dangerfield would say "No Respect!"

Heaven and Hell.

Caught in the middle.

Stuck between truth and fiction.
Divided between ridicule and scorn.
Who has the correct answer?
Who the hell wants to be born?

Hey at least RUSH still has their drummer after 30 plus years!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait for their next album, at least their in the studio recording a new record. There goes the new Y&T album down the drain, unless Dennis can sit in!

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Sincerely,
A depressed and tired fan

sue-min troll
06-08-2006, 02:06 AM
very bad news indeed - but not the worst news, at least Y&T are still together..

as i was reading this my heart was in my mouth..i thought it might have been a 'goodbye and thankyou' letter...

i was only thinking yesterday what i would take to Bang YA Heeeeeed festival to try to get signed...the last time time i saw Y&T (new years eve) i got my TEN album signed and Leo signed it then put 'not pictured' at the side, i shouted at him, said it didn,t matter he didn,t play on it as he is the only drummer i,ve seen with Y&T..

LOVE YOU LEO - TAKE CARE

best wishes for Mike as well...

broadz
06-08-2006, 02:57 AM
...just consider whether Leonard Haze himself wanted to carry on playing with the band. Maybe, even though the existing members of Y&T had to make that decision, that Leonard had already decided himself that enough was enough, but didn't have the heart to make it look like he was jumping ship. So Dave, Phil and John's decision actually made it easier for Leonard.

I don't know whether this is the case, but it's worth considering before you rip up your tickets and storm off in a sulk, waiting to support Leonard's new band and stick the knife into anything that Dave Meniketti and co do from now on. If Leonard doesn't join a different band, it might just be because he's had enough. That's one definite reason why his performing live may have taken a downturn, because he just wasn't enjoying it anymore.

Just my opinion...
Broadzy.

Mikkivoxx
06-08-2006, 03:15 AM
As with any relationship, parting is very difficult. This is indeed sad news; however, I am quite confident that Dave, Phil and John had to make the decision in order to preserve the sound/integrity/quality of Y&T.

Best of luck to Leonard, you will always be "the drummer of Y&T" to me.
To the new drummer Mike Vanderhule, welcome to the family and make the Boys proud!
To the rest of Y&T...get out there and melt some faces!

See you this Summer.

daz
06-08-2006, 03:15 AM
This was quite devastating news, but i sat back thought on the matter and read all the comments, Yeah people will get bent out of shape and others take it or leave it, each to there own, all i know is that what ever has happened or will happen,

I sincerly wish best wishes to all parties, rock and roll on

Terr
06-08-2006, 03:20 AM
Early~
You're always typing on & on about every other musician & their mother on this forum. Maybe you should bugger off to some of their websites.
If you wanna stick around here I'd advise ya to delete this last post of yours & have a big cup of your self prescribed medicine~ STFU.
People on this forum have to be respectful of the band members past & present or find someplace else to spew their b.s.

I gotta admit I was upset & angry when Stef left just before Y&T & WS were due to play @ Konocti--but John stepped in & Rocked
& contributes great vocals as well as a good solid rhythm & the occasional lead.
I totally respect Stef & what he's doin' with Peppino D'Agostino & Vasco Rossi & Huey & the News.

It was great to see all 7 members of Y&T onstage together at the Mystic!!!!!!!
Now there's 8. :D WELCOME MV! May your tenure with the band be fun & KICK SOME ASS!!!!

Jimmy D. is one of the Top Ten drummers on the planet....maybe Top Five.
Go buy the MEGADETH Rude Awakening DVD & take a lesson, drummers!
Let's all hope he returns to Y&T ASAP.
Jimmy has to realize that he can play to his full potential with The Good Dave.
He's gone as far as he could go with The Bad Dave(Mustaine) & is destined to be frustrated with
Zircon Dave(Roth) who he's tourin' with this summer.
Jimmy will be back I guarandamntee it. Those who don't appreciate his great drumming~ Bye bye

Wrenjka
06-08-2006, 03:20 AM
Yeah, I dunno... these guys have been through alot together, the times, era's, decades, & everything that goes with it, etc...

Like they said "brothers".

Now, I know I'm just a kid from Minnesota... but, I don't think playing a guilt card towards anyone, is going to change the cards that have been dealt...

Does it really need the Van Halenesque/drama? <it is what it is>
There, now your all pissed at me!! ha ha ah... I tricked 'ya! :beer:

P.S.
I've never met any of 'em... but I like the music!!

Dean Streak
06-08-2006, 03:31 AM
As with any relationship, parting is very difficult. This is indeed sad news; however, I am quite confident that Dave, Phil and John had to make the decision in order to preserve the sound/integrity/quality of Y&T.

Best of luck to Leonard, you will always be "the drummer of Y&T" to me.
To the new drummer Mike Vanderhule, welcome to the family and make the Boys proud!
To the rest of Y&T...get out there and melt some faces!

See you this Summer.

I kind-of-had-this-feeling this was going to happen. When I heard Y&T in Chicago, I really didn't think Leonard would be apart of this...so for whatever reason...I am not surprised. I love the direction Y&T is going...new drummer just adds to the creativity mix. Hopefully come Oct/Nov. when they wind down...they can "squeeze" the juice out and make a kick-ass new cd.

I am a True Believer on: "Things happening for a reason"
GO FOR THE THROAT

sue-min troll
06-08-2006, 03:42 AM
i,m a bit shocked at some of the negativity...well, if thats how you feel i suppose thats your own business, if you never want to see Y&T play again - don,t rip your tickets up - give them to someone who wants them (whatever happened to that guy who wanted free tickets to the New Years gig - ohhh thats it - he was going to jail)

and as for the real reason - well its nothing to do with us...Dave has told as much as he is willing to, we are fans of the band we don,t own the rights to their personal lives.

I REALY REALY HOPE THAT NO GIGS GET CANCELLED THIS CLOSE TO THE EUROPEAN TOUR....IS A FORTNIGHT ENOUGH FOR A DRUMMER TO LEARN NEW SONGS?????....CAN SOMEONE TELL ME OTHERWISE I WON,T SLEEP. (Me and Scary Dawn set off next friday for our Germany tour...a week in Fussen - Bavaria and the Bang Ya Head festival....)

Terr
06-08-2006, 03:56 AM
Lookin' over Mike's credentials...I'm sure he's gonna be great.
Don't worry, Europe!

Catman
06-08-2006, 04:18 AM
As being a Y&T fan since the beginning I think that decisions like this are well thougt over.
This band is different from others and I see them as a respectfull group.
So be positive and we will give the new guy a warm hand in Europe.
And for leonard : Thanks mate !!

Golden_Goose
06-08-2006, 05:15 AM
Dave I read this on Blabbermouth and being a Y&T fan and one who has always viewed the band as a "family" if you will, it doesn't surprise me as things do happen but I am saddened but understand 100 %.

I've been a longtime fan, only saw you guys once here in Jersey and I'm VERY thankful to have seen you guys with Leonard behind the kit.

I'm sure you chose the right guy to play drums and I wish nothing but the best for Leonard.

The lasting memory I get of him was when he came out after you guys played and told the crowd that he wished you guys could have played longer but couldn't :beer:

Dave & Co~ Carry On:guitarist

Leonard~ thanks for everything:beer:

ThrashMeister
06-08-2006, 05:21 AM
was hoping to see you live at the beachland ballroom in cleveland.

seek and destroy brother!!:rant:

Delirious Nomad
06-08-2006, 06:00 AM
i,m a bit shocked at some of the negativity..

I am EXTREMELY shocked at the negativity in here!
The fact that anyone would want to sell their tickets and have nothing to do with Y&T because Leo is out is beyond my ability to comprehend. And to feel like you sold somebody a bill of goods because you convinced them to buy tickets??? WTF?

I know it was a tough decision for Dave and the guys and I will back them 100%.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised at some of you.....and a bit disappointed.:(
You can show your disapproval in better ways.

kingnoony
06-08-2006, 06:03 AM
"very bad news indeed - but not the worst news, at least Y&T are still together.."

THEY ARE? YOU LEO IS STILL THERE AND JOEY'S BACK? SORRY, Y&T ARE NOT STILL TOGETHER....

Delirious Nomad
06-08-2006, 06:10 AM
THEY ARE? YOU MEAN LEO IS STILL THERE AND JOEY'S BACK? SORRY, Y&T ARE NOT STILL TOGETHER....
Yes they are....just not the lineup that you want.
You know what the post meant....at least Y&T are still out treating us to music instead of calling it quits.

kingnoony
06-08-2006, 06:12 AM
:confused:
"Jimmy D. is one of the Top Ten drummers on the planet....maybe Top Five.

as a drummer, i have to say that non-drummers really shouldn't give drumming advice to drummers. top five on the planet? jesus,: you really don't know very much about drumming do you? some of the best muscians out there will never be heard. rating drummers, guitarists, pianists, etc. should not be a popularity contest...

Terr
06-08-2006, 06:25 AM
I've been drumming 28 years, Newbie. :welcome:

..& I've seen Y&T with Leo &/or Jimmy about 30 times. I've seen Jimmy with Montrose a coupla times, & his work with Rob Trujillo in Suicidal Tendencies & with Ellefson in both Montrose lately as well as for years in MEGADETH is FOKKEN LEGENDARY!!!!!

Wiley13
06-08-2006, 06:27 AM
Dave...sorry to hear the news, and as you mentioned I'm sure this was a very difficult decision for the band. As all of us know, Y&T has experienced "hard times" and changes over the years and has always endured by maintaining an uncompromised integrity that is the cornerstone of their unique character. I have to believe that the band's decision was made with this in mind. I wish Leo the best and I thank him for all he has done with the band...I'll always consider him one of the best drummers I've ever seen. I also throw my strong support to the band and Mike V. as you guys gear up for the EU tour...kick some ass like you've always done! :guitarist

To all fans of Y&T: I encourage y'all not to perceive this development as a personal injury to yourself or some sort of political scandal. As in life, shit happens and change is inevitable. This has to be a tough transition for the band, and it's during times like these that they need...and quite frankly...deserve your respect and support. After all, they've given us 30+ years of rockin music and good times. While we all love and appreciate Leo...and will miss him for sure, this is an opportunity to show just what kind of Y&T fan you are.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Wiley13

Terr
06-08-2006, 06:33 AM
Well said, Wiley, well said. We DO love ya, Leonard! Take care.

bassangel69
06-08-2006, 06:36 AM
the same type of arguements came up when Chris Degarmo left Queensryche...in fact, people are still bellyaching about it and i LOVED Chris, hate i never got to meet him or see him play live...Kelly Grey never really got a chance with some fans when Chris left and Mike Stone STILL gets the blues from some fans even though he has injected a new energy into Queensryche. my whole point of this is, the fact that the band is still around after 32 years and playing quality music is the important issue here. the back story, we are not really entitled to in my humble opinion. i love Leonard, great guy and i will miss seeing him play with Y&T, but i would rather see the band forge on with a new person than calling it a day and staying home. Welcome aboard Mike! :D tara

Wiley13
06-08-2006, 06:39 AM
Thanks Terr...and may I compliment you on your polite handling of the "newbie drummer comment".:lmao:
BTW, how's the new LP...have you got it yet? Also, thanks for the info on the "southpaw guitars" website...very cool!

Wiley13

Terr
06-08-2006, 06:44 AM
Thanks, neighbor. Finally moved back to the Valley last week!!!!

No LP for me yet...I'm happy with my Ibanez Artist.

I AM gettin' a Strat, an Ovation & maybe a 12 string GUILD this month tho'. :D

...& a baby grand & a KORG Tritom. heee heeee Oh ..& a 40" Zildjian ((((GONG))))!!!!

RaiderHog
06-08-2006, 06:53 AM
:crying:

Wiley13
06-08-2006, 06:57 AM
Hey Terr...Welcome back dude! Whereabouts in the valley(I'm in Reseda)...PM me if ya don't want it public. My mistake on the LP...that's right, it's a sunburst strat! You'll have to let me know how it plays when you get it.

Wiley13

Rockerbob
06-08-2006, 07:03 AM
Man, whats with all the drama???? Bands go through change, it happens. Sometimes a decision HAS to be made that is not popular with the fans, but a true fan does not turn their back. They continue to support and encourage the old members and the new guy! If you totally dig your sister - in - law and your brother tells you he is getting a divorce, do you give up on your brother??? No, you are not the one who has to live with her and deal with her on a dailey basis and believe me a band is a freakin marriage. I TRUST in Dave and Phils decision for whats best for the BAND and not a certain individual. Sometimes things just don't work and change is something that is hard but has to be done. God knows as a drummer I freaking think Leonard rules! But if there are issues with his performances, or his attitude or whatever, time to go. Even if its just polotics over the direction the band should take, it has to be all for one and one for all, if not, the one needs to go.

Earl, the comment about Def Leppard keeping their drummer.....as a drummer that pissed me off bad because anyone can press electronic pedals. Think how killer they would be with a drummer that can actually fuckin play! No triggers, no nothing to help you play faster, hit beats you wouldn't normally be able to play or sound better than you actually are. Rick Allen should have stepped down rather than be a charity case.

As far as Jimmy is concerned, he is an awesome drummer, not in my top 10 but hey, thats just me. I am glad Dave and the guys decided on NEW BLOOD!!! New ideas, new styles bring new things to the table. Why go back to the way it was, I saw them with Jimmy and it was all good, it wasn't Leonard but by God it was Y&T so what difference does it make. I am glad they are getting someone else and I hope it works out, if not I want a shot at it. I gauren -Goddamn - tee I will drive that kick ass machine!! I say....Carry on Dave, do what you gotta do then get yer asses back out on the road and in the studio, the world is waiting and I am at the top of that waiting list!!!

I have always been a fan of Y&T and I will always be one.....unless Dave quits!

My1MsSteak
06-08-2006, 07:14 AM
First of all I want to say:

Thank You Leonard for all you have done!
You will always be a huge part of Y&T!
You have always been so gracious to me!
I wish you and Kelly all the best!

Secondly to the rest of the band:

There are things that go on that we as fans no nothing about.
I'm sure this was a heart wrenching decision for you all.
I will continue to support Y&T as I have done now for almost 30 years.
Winds of change ...

Enuff said.

Janine :D

jlarson85
06-08-2006, 07:20 AM
I've read every post on this thread and quite frankly I'm stunned and dazed that Leo is gone. But for whatever reasons that REALLY is the business. I do not believe for a minute that Dave,Phil and John took this decision lightly.

For the people that want refunds and are not going to the shows. How many Y&T records do you have without Leo? I know I've read many post on how Musically Incorrect is there best record.

How many shows have we seen without Leo? This forum was created without Leo being in the band.

I put my trust in Dave when it comes to band issues. His track record looks pretty good. I mean that he has kept this band alive for 30+ years. Thank you Dave.

I know Y&T will be out there putting on the best show possible...EVERYNIGHT!!

And I do believe that when a new CD effert is made, we will all be there to buy and support the band.

Same goes for the DVD release. I've read your posts, we are all foaming at the mouth for this one man.

In closing, I as a fan of Y&T's and a friend to you fans on the forum. Lets not let this " Musical Performance Difference" get in the way our friendship and the good vibes this forum gives off.

I got my July 22nd tickets in my hand. Can't wait for the show and still look forward to reading all your cool Y&T threads. Keep rocking us Y&T in todays music your really all I have left.

PiranhaGirl
06-08-2006, 07:23 AM
I am EXTREMELY shocked at the negativity in here!
The fact that anyone would want to sell their tickets and have nothing to do with Y&T because Leo is out is beyond my ability to comprehend. And to feel like you sold somebody a bill of goods because you convinced them to buy tickets??? WTF?

I know it was a tough decision for Dave and the guys and I will back them 100%.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised at some of you.....and a bit disappointed.:(

Well said, Nomad. :beer:

Babe Magnet
06-08-2006, 07:46 AM
rat-fucking-bastards!

Ian:lmao:

I too was at the Kennel Club show. I was perplexed by what I noticed at the end of the set. I'm not shocked by this at all. One hard lesson I've learned over all my years as a professional somethingorother - anybody can be replaced. Except Dave - he can't be replaced. If they vote him out I'm joining Ian's club.

And, yeah, there seems to be some excess drama over this. What if they were calling it quits? Some of us would have to avoid tall buildings... "oh..the humanity!!!!!"

DrUmM@sT3r
06-08-2006, 07:49 AM
Let's not swear - it's ok to feel upset - too each his own, sad news for sure.

Who is Mike Vanderhule? Does he have a website?
I haven't ever heard of him.........I'd like to get some info on him - curious?

ZoSo
06-08-2006, 07:55 AM
What if they were calling it quits?

We'd get 5 star records like On The Blue Side? :D

Mikkivoxx
06-08-2006, 07:57 AM
A very appropriate song for times like these, wouldn’t you agree?!?!? My summation…time to let go and move on.

Never settle for anything less than 100%!

Mikki

Temptation
06-08-2006, 07:59 AM
We all love Leonard but as long as Dave, Phil and Jill :) are in the band I am a full pledged fan. For those fans that are going to stop entering the forum or sell your tickets.....I just don't get you. If you had all the facts and wanted to make that decision, that is one thing but since you don't please respect the band and don't throw in the towel. Good luck Mike. I look forward to meeting you at a show that always ROCKS!!!....Y&T

Jeff Bricker
06-08-2006, 08:09 AM
Well for this SPINAL TAP moment at least Haze didn't burn up or blow up.

broadz
06-08-2006, 08:17 AM
Let's not swear - it's ok to feel upset - too each his own, sad news for sure.

Who is Mike Vanderhule? Does he have a website?
I haven't ever heard of him.........I'd like to get some info on him - curious?

Loads of websites on him. Played with Neal Schon (Jonathon will be happy), Brian Wheat out of Tesla, Michael Lee Firkins, John Denver (!), Steve Lukather, Mickey Thomas out of Starship. Try some of these links:-

http://www.ajavu.com/bios.html

http://www.guitar9.com/summmikevanderhule.html

http://www.sanjoseprodrum.com/instruction_mv.htm

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/columnists/brad_kava/13997737.htm

No Regrets
06-08-2006, 08:36 AM
I've seen Mike play with Soul Motor ... I'm extremely pleased with the choice of drummer. As for the drama from some fans.... very DISAPPOINTING, we can send out the prayers and good vibes for dogs, cats, people we dont even know, but when Y&T needs you... you split?? :rant: You can still be loyal to Leonard without dissing the rest of the band.
Unbelievable......:(

As far as them giving away their tix.. whatever. I'd rather have fans next to me that support the band... nothing worse than standing next to someone who's yelling for a past member the whole night.... almost as bad as Y&T tunes being yelled out at Meniketti shows... so disrespectful. So if you are inclined to do that .. please stay home.

Nancy

Mustang Girl
06-08-2006, 08:46 AM
I have always been a fan of Y&T and I will always be one.....unless Dave quits!

Right on Rockerbob. That's the way I feel too. It is weird to read the negativity of some longtime forum members but to each their own opinion. Pat and I will be going to the Concord show and all the other Y&T and Meniketti shows we are able to make it to whenever they are scheduled. I love the music of Y&T and as long as Dave is still singing, we're there!

My1MsSteak
06-08-2006, 08:50 AM
As for the drama from some fans.... very DISAPPOINTING, we can send out the prayers and good vibes for dogs, cats, people we dont even know, but when Y&T needs you... you split?? :rant: You can still be loyal to Leonard without dissing the rest of the band.

Nancy

I couldn't have said it better Nancy! :clap2:

VERY, VERY DISAPPOINTING!

Janine :mad:

jonathon.
06-08-2006, 08:58 AM
I couldn't have said it better Nancy! :clap2:

VERY, VERY DISAPPOINTING!

Janine :mad:

Agreed.....some bad shit posted.

Now is the time to show how loyal you REALLY are:guitarist

Im off to order the rest of our UK tix now.

Knock em dead boys:beer:

Nancy
06-08-2006, 09:03 AM
As for the drama from some fans.... very DISAPPOINTING, we can send out the prayers and good vibes for dogs, cats, people we dont even know, but when Y&T needs you... you split?? :rant: You can still be loyal to Leonard without dissing the rest of the band.

As far as them giving away their tix.. whatever. I'd rather have fans next to me that support the band... nothing worse than standing next to someone who's yelling for a past member the whole night.... almost as bad as Y&T tunes being yelled out at Meniketti shows... so disrespectful. So if you are inclined to do that .. please stay home.

Nancy

Very well said!! I wish Leonard only the very best, and give a warm welcome to Mike!

bassangel69
06-08-2006, 09:09 AM
very well stated Nancy.tara

CPD5150
06-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Yes, this is very sad news, BUT I back Dave, Phil & John's decision 100%. Come on guys, we are all Y&T fans here. We come here because we LOVE this band. I will always support this band, no matter what they do. I really look forward to what we have in store as far as a new studio album, DVD, etc. We will never forget Leonard & what he meant to this band, but it's time to move on.

DAVE, PHIL & JOHN (and JEFF!)...thank you for being so upfront with us. I know this was a terribly tough decision for all of you. Hang in there! Good things are yet to come! I really hope to make the trip out from Texas to see you guys live this year.

A fan FOREVER,
Chris

Eddietherocker
06-08-2006, 09:40 AM
wow...very sorry to hear about Leo"s departure but, I trust Dave 110%,
im sure it wasnt an easy thing to do. Good luck to Leo on anything his
going to be doing. Y&T all the way baby...all the way.

I can see it now...Mystic Reunion Show...Hey are we getting those
shows these year.

Y&T is more than just four guys playing...is something you carry in your
heart and soul.:beer:

Welcome to your new home Mike.:welcome:

Mistreated
06-08-2006, 09:44 AM
1st, thanks Leo. Thanks for everything. We love you and will miss you. You were gone for so long and the fact that you were back for some 4-5 years won't be forgoten.

2nd, I trust Dave and Phil (Phil doesn't get the credit he deserves, still, after all these years). The men who wrote Mean Streak, Forever, Midnight in Tokyo, Rescue Me, Eyes..ect. If anyone knows what direction Y&T needs to go in IT IS THEM.

3rd. My loyalty towards Y&T can never be questioned. That said, Leo has been stuggling back there. When you are standing in the audience and you find yourself noticing the drummer, it better be for all the right reasons, and in all honesty, that has not always been the case latley.

4th. Long Live Y&T. I can't wait to see the new line up. It's gonna ROCK. I imagine a very explosive, fired up band ready to kick ass and take names.

OPEN FIRE

The Garage Sale Man
06-08-2006, 09:46 AM
thats life, it has to keep moving......
Thank You Leonard Haze!!!!!!!!!!!!! for what you have done in Y&T, you will be missed! I hope you will respond with a thread when you are ready to all your fans. You should be proud of your career and all you have done for the fans & Y&T. i hope this was not a real bitter split, i know it wasent with happy faces, but I hope the guys can remain friends and see past the business decision.

y-mats
06-08-2006, 09:46 AM
It's very sad indeed... However, at the same time, I'm very thankful for the fact that I was able to see the band with Leonard as many as five times (it's by the way same number of times I've seen them with Jimmy:eek:). I wish it could have been much more, but I have to admit that when I saw the band live for the first time 10 years ago I never ever imagined that I would have a single chance to see them live with Leonard, and in fact I even did see them with Joey too!

A part of me wishes that they would keep as many original members as possible for the rest of their career that may not, I dare say, last for another 10 years or 20. On the other hand, another part of me wants the band to be in the top level whenever they play live, so not only me but also every single person who's at the venue wherever it may be would not be disappointed at all by the performance of the band I love and respect. Being a late-comer to this kind of music, I have experienced so many disappointments with the live performances of the bands I really like, but Y&T has been one of the very few exceptions, and I want them to continue to be.

Taking this opportunity, I'd like to thank Leonard for the pictures taken with me, the autographs, little bit of chats, and most importantly the music and the performances he's done with the band over the years.

And I'd also like to thank Dave for giving us the news with his own words. It makes me realize once again that he does respect us the fans and also the members of the band, past and present (and future), by not putting it simply in the news section or whatever.

I hope some day there will be a show or two with all the 8 members play together (don't know how to have three drum kits at the same time, though :D) and it will probably the next time I'll travel to California or wherever.

y-mats

thinlizzy
06-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Bob. Unless Dave pulls the pin I am not going anywhere. How many times have I went to see a band and go to the show and one out of five of the original members is still with them. Usually the one that the dud of the group. The band is a team, and there is no ' I ' in team so if someone isn't happy, pulling their weight, creative differences whatever something needs to be done period. Last I recall this isn't a tv reality show so I don't really need to know the plotline or whatever went on in the decision making process. If I find out then bonus information.

I know that Dave and the rest of the boys would have stood on their heads or whatever it took to make it work but alas at some point in time you have to move on. I respect everyones opinion here but just because one band member is being let go to go spout off on the board just makes me think ARE YOU REALLY A FAN ? Or you just can't handle change. Like Terr has pointed out he wasn't a fan of John's in the beginning but know has accepted him into the band. If you are giving away your tickets then as a REAL fan you should give them to another member by posting it. I know I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Someone was stating that they didn't read that by the reviews that Leo wasn't at 100 % as of late. Again as Jeff has pointed out we respect the members of the band and due to common courtesy would not post a lack luster effort. The band read the posts so it shows class and respect for individuals feelings.

I wish Leo and all the band best of luck in the future with whatever they decide to do. Carpe Diem baby. Mike V ( newbie ) kick some ass in the upcoming tour dates. Make us proud. Here is to a successful summer tour and lots of variety in the setlist. Dave you know what I want to here hint ,hint nudge ,nudge. Putting my flame retardant suit on.

Babe Magnet
06-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Lordy, this brings me back to when I first really got into Y&T. Right when their recordings really started to grab me was right when Joey and Leo parted from the band. I remember reading an editorial written by Joey about it and it kind of made my head spin. Granted, I loved all the older recordings with him but just hadn't been exposed to them up until Stef and Jimmy joined. My first show was with Stef and Jimmy in the band it Y&T blew my mind. Ironically, I've gotten to know Joey a bit (all these years later, who'd a thunk it!?) and really admire him and anybody else who's been a part of this family. It's all good, man. It's all good.

And Nancy - what you said about people yelling for Y&T songs at a Meniketti show...man, that frosts me. Might as well yell out, "I'm a drunk moron!!! Look at me! I just pissed my pants!"

Leif
06-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Wow, I just saw this this morning. I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. I wish Leonard the best of luck and thanks for all he's done with Y&T. I will continue to support Y&T and Dave as much as possible.

Bestie
06-08-2006, 10:35 AM
All the best Mr Haze i am glad to have met you last time you played in London, keep Rockin my friend!

RaceMic
06-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Oh boy, that indeed was a shock. I was hoping for an announcement saying "we're in the studio recording a new album" or something.... not this.

A true sad Y&T moment.

I respect the bands decision. They wouldn't do this if it wasn't for the best for the band.

Dave, thank you for giving us the details. Glad I didn't have to find out about this through rumours.

Leonard, Thanks again for the great shows you put up for us. Loved meeting you. Will look out for you, to see you rock again somewhere. Take Care. You're loved!

Mike, Welcome to Y&T! You're one lucky guy. Looking forward to meeting you soon. Now, get those CD's playing and start rehearsing!!! ;)

Lot's of (understandable) sentiment here. Without saying the same thing over again, Tommy's post pretty much sums it up for me.

=Chief Broken Arrow=
06-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Hey...that means Y&T’s first performance in the USA, with Mike Vanderhule behind the kit, will be COMSTOCK ROCK!!!:guitarist

Comstock just keeps getting better and better this year!!!:D

I’m sad to see Leo go, but I understand sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Best of luck Leonard, keep “smoking on matters” and keep up the “mayhem”!!!

:welcome: Mike!!!

Get into the groove with the guys over in Europe, then prepare to pound the hell outta those skins at Comstock Rock!!!

I can’t wait!!!

THE SHOW MUST GO ON!!! I support Dave’s, Phil’s, and John’s decision 100%!!!:)

rockover
06-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion about what has happened. No one likes change. Replacing a band member is really tough. We all know that. You think it is tough for us? What about Dave, Phil, and John. You couldn't imagine what they were going through. All the pros and cons that they were weighing. Losing sleep. Stress levels though the roof. Not just losing a band member, but a friend.
Wish Leo all the best.
As for Mike, welcome.

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion about what has happened. No one likes change. Replacing a band member is really tough. We all know that. You think it is tough for us? What about Dave, Phil, and John. You couldn't imagine what they were going through. All the pros and cons that they were weighing. Losing sleep. Stress levels though the roof. Not just losing a band member, but a friend.
Wish Leo all the best.
As for Mike, welcome.

THANK YOU! :guitarist

RUSHHEAD666
06-08-2006, 12:00 PM
I've been drumming 28 years, Newbie. :welcome:

..& I've seen Y&T with Leo &/or Jimmy about 30 times. I've seen Jimmy with Montrose a coupla times, & his work with Rob Trujillo in Suicidal Tendencies & with Ellefson in both Montrose lately as well as for years in MEGADETH is FOKKEN LEGENDARY!!!!!

To each his own Terr, seems like your true colors are showing too over a little band change. You are not my daddy. I will not edit my post at all. Big deal, so I was mad and had few pops last night. I will always love Y&T and I never said that I would walk away and rip up my tickets. How immature. Sorry if I don't play by your rules on your Forum. I thought Jeff was the Mod on here. He seems pretty cool about this whole mess.

As far as talking about every other band and their mother, well look in the mirror Terr. It's all you do too. Look at your quote. All you do is brag about your drumming and how many bands you see and know about!

So what. I love Rush and Y&T. You Love Whitesnake and Y&T. All you do is talk about your passion and love for David Coverdale.

It's a double-edged sword man, obiviously you want to put it in my heart and scare me away to some other LAME ROCK FORUM!! Well my friend, I am not a lurker. I do not belong to any other forums, so get over it.

Have a cup Terr!!! I hear hypocrites absolutely love the taste!

Terr
06-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Mr. 666~ You're quoting my response to someone else, not you. The newbie I referred to was the one who didn't know I'm a drummer cuz he's only posted here 6 times.

You just need to show some respect to the band members here. I don't care if ya don't respect me.

I know poison makes people say things they regret. That's one of the many reasons I quit poisoning myself. Try taking some responsibility for the things you say & do.

Hope we can still be friends...& I hope Leonard is still friends wth everyone.

No...I'm not a mod here....but I can tell you from my own experience that if you step outa bounds here you'll get 86ed. :D

RUSHHEAD666
06-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Of course we can still be friends, I know alcohol is a poison. So what if I drink beer. There are worse poisons in the world!

I was just using that quote to show you that you like to talk about other bands too.

Again, it's no big deal and I did say some unkind things under the influence but not everything in Y&T Land has to be a positive endeavor.

There are a lot of cool people on here and Dave and Jeff have a good thing going. No disrespect to anyone, it's just how I felt. Life goes on.................so does Y&T.

Earl

StruckDownForever
06-08-2006, 12:42 PM
WOW!!! I'm really sorry you guys had to come to this decision. As thrilled as I was when Leonard re-joined the band I'm just as sad to hear he's gone again. On the other hand, this is a business decision that obviously had to be made, I'm sure it was not an easy one.
Good Luck Mike, I'm sure you'll be great back there driving the backbeat to these great tunes and look I forward to seeing you play.
Dave, Phil, John, Mike, Darren, Jill and everyone else have a great time in Europe, I've told many people in the UK that you're coming and they've already marked the shows on their calanders and made plans to go see you.
Sorry I missed some of the recent shows in the bay area. My mother has had some health probs but is doing better now so hopefully I'll be able to see you guys when you get back from across the pond.
Have a great time you guys and MELT SOME FACES!!!
Michael

mmandy
06-08-2006, 12:56 PM
rat-fucking-bastards!

Ian

Hey, shut up - that band sucks. ;)

LIDirtyGirl
06-08-2006, 01:08 PM
WOW. Some people just don't get it. Um pst, it's not about YOU. Bottom line is this ...

Dave,
98% of us support and respect you and the boys for the difficult decision you had to make. I for one will always be a huge fan and follow your light to the end. I'll see you at both NY shows in July!!
Best of luck with the adjustment.
Love and support xo,
Angela

Linda L
06-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Y&T has always been a class act no matter who was playing with them. David's announcement was done with his usual class & he asked for our respect. Let's give it to him (he has always had my respect) he deserves it !!!!! I have been around this forum since the AOL days & a fan for longer than I would care to admit (lets just say my children & grandchildren - one of which is 20 years old - are all fans), I will continue to get to every show I can & some I really shouldn't.
Leo - I will miss all the wonderful backstage chats with you & Kelly ... all the very best to both of you - hope to see you again soon !!!
Mike - welcome:welcome: , good luck - can't wait to see you live
Can't we all just get along !!!!!

mmandy
06-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Look, everyone - most of you have figured out that this was not an easy descision for the band.
Dave and Phil have read your posts and listened to what you want.

You say you want a DVD. You say you want a new studio record. You say you want them to play some different songs in the setlists.

Well, those three things were not happening with Leonard behind the kit. If they were, all of those requests would have been filled between now and 5 years ago. It wasn't happening.

Did you want the band to simply be a "Nostalgia act?" Playing the same 10 songs over and over at County Fairs? Because THAT is what happens to bands that stagnate. And, seriously, this band was stagnating.

So Dave & Phil have decided to get this train off the circular track and move it forward. So don't blame them for doing what you have requested.

(notice I haven't stated whether I am happy or sad - hey, my opinions don't matter - it's not my band, and not my career. It's the "Dave, Phil & Jill" show. )

twistedbitchescapee
06-08-2006, 01:37 PM
As sad as it may be, to see Leonard leave, thank you Leonard for all your years of great music! May your next journey in life be just as fruitful, and I hope you still grace us with your presence here on the forum.

I am sure that the choices made were made for a reason that had no choices, we as fans, should not judge but except it. Times change, as i've been seeing lately with myself and my career, as do with others. Embrace the future and cherish the past.

:welcome: Mike!

Sincerly, Cheekychops!:D

mmandy
06-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Guys - stop freaking out.

It's a Rock Band. It's not the first time a member has had to be replaced.

It's not like if the Stones replaced Mick with the bald dude Chris from "American Idol."

it's a rock band. they are moving on - It's Dave's band, Dave's career, Dave's LIFE - so get over it.

(and stop sending Jeff nasty E-mails - do you REALLY think HE said "Dave - he's gotta go" and Dave said "Really ? Okay, Jeff - you're the Boss. Whatever you say - GOES. ") Grow up, folks.

bosk1
06-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Mike, if you aren't doing anything later, please marry me.

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Mike, if you aren't doing anything later, please marry me.

Hallelujah! Can I be the Maid of Honor? :eek:

Dave Meniketti
06-08-2006, 02:16 PM
First of all, thank you to those forum fans who have said almost exactly what Phil, John and I would have said in response to the nastier postings. We have an inteligent and thoughtful bunch of people here and it's refreshing to see.

Now let me explain to the few who have insisted our statement was BS and that we owe you a deeper explanation for what happened. No we don’t and no we won’t. Why? Simple: we owe it to Leonard to show him the respect he deserves to not air all our dirty laundry in a public forum. That’s not the way we do business and as someone else said here, this is not a TV reality show. We’re not going to dishonor him or ourselves for those that somehow feel it is “owed to them” to know all our personal business. This is real life, where people have feelings to be hurt and a future to be had without everyone holding court over them. That type of information is only meant for close family and personal friends.

Second, someone insinuated that we weren’t acting like “grown-ups” to just simply work this all out. Well, being that you were never in the band and don’t show up at rehearsals and didn’t go to every show the band ever played in the last 5 years, I would only hazard a guess that you don’t really know if we did or did not act like grown ups in trying to resolve our problems. But then again maybe I’m taking a big leap to be making that corollary. Of course we tried to work this out before the inevitable had to take place. In fact I can guarantee you that we tried more times than anyone could ever have imagined.

Again, understand, this was not a decision taken lightly by any stretch. Do you really think we wanted to let Leonard go for no good reason? That would be a solid NO WAY.

And for all of those that wonder - yes we did part on good terms, though no one I know likes being let go from their job, so there will obviously be hurt feelings at the moment. In fact we will be jamming with Leonard next week for a benefit to a friend of ours that has cancer. We will always hold Leonard in a sacred place in our hearts and souls and he knows that.

To the majority of you fans out there that have been so nice as to be understanding during what are very hard times for all of us, thank you from the bottom of my heart. Though we make difficult decisions from our hearts and not by public opinion, it’s good to know that many of you, though understandably upset, are able to see the light of day through this.

You may not have known just how deep this went but we were either going to scrap the band completely or make a change. Phil, John and I have way too much we still want to do with this band than to give it all up, so on we go into the future. And let’s all give Mike a chance and not hold him to some perfect expectation. I know he’ll be under a microscope, but he’ll need a period for adjustment and we all would appreciate your patience while we sort through this all.

Now I gotta go. We have a lot of work to do in a very short amount of time.
Cheers,
-Dave

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Brilliant, well-worded, intelligent post, Dave.

Thank you for spelling it out to those who may not have understood.

No Regrets
06-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Thanks again Dave, you go above and beyond what should be expected.

In fact we will be jamming with Leonard next week for a benefit to a friend of ours that has cancer.

Is this open to the public?? :D Sorry I had to ask........

Nancy

Garth Simpson4
06-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Dave ONLY HIRES THE BEST, NO?

LEAVE IT TO THE MASTER OF THE STRATACASTER/LES PAUL..

He's NEVER let us down before, has he?

Cheers to Dave & Whatever Co. he chooses to hire/ associate with!

HE'S NEVER LET ME DOWN FOR THE LAST 26 YEARS...Sigh...-G-.

LIFE HAPPENS, DEAL W/ IT!

Y&T/ DMG are still alive and kicking; LIFE IS GOOD, NO?

Stop whining and get a life...sheesh...

Temptation
06-08-2006, 02:33 PM
You may not have known just how deep this went but we were either going to scrap the band completely or make a change. Phil, John and I have way too much we still want to do with this band than to give it all up, so on we go into the future.

-Dave

THANK YOU FOR THE DECISION YOU MADE. Y&T is a big part of my life, as it is with most on this forum.....now on with the future :)...

My1MsSteak
06-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Dave...

There will be a Cherry Pie in your future.

Aug. 11th to be exact! ;)

Thanks for coming in and saying what you needed to say!

Welcome to Mike as well! :welcome:

Delirious Nomad
06-08-2006, 02:36 PM
....Phil, John and I have way too much we still want to do with this band than to give it all up, so on we go into the future.....

I think I just crapped my pants!
That's one of the best sentences I've read in many years!!!

To know that one one of my favorite bands ever is still excited about the music and has plans to be around for many more years just has me PUMPED!!!

Thanks for the great post Dave.
I'm with you 100%!

:beer: :beer:

Model_600
06-08-2006, 02:40 PM
This was quite a surprise announcement to read just a few moments ago.....I'm so in the dark lately..
Dave, Phil, John..what an enormously hard decision to make. I know it was done in the best interest of all involved...and w/ great love for Leonard I'm sure.
Leonard..I love ya very much and will miss you and hope that the future will be full of great things musically and otherwise.
Welcome to Mike. Can hardly wait to see you perform w/ the band! I think you will find playing w/ these guys to be alot of fun and challenging at the same time....WOW...Europe..watch out! Those Rock fests must be a blast!
Jonathon....:_sure: ..bragger!! hehehe;)

Lotsa changin goin on w/ everyone...including myself!

Lets just roll w/ the changes....

Val

Garth Simpson4
06-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Were ALL With You!

I owe you a TON of Pasta/Sauce /cheese, etc., sorry, I've been busier than crap w/ my 'dying' father, 2 paper routes, etc...

I will make it up to ya!

P.S., sorry to hear about the closure of the 'Cadillac Ranch" venue....

..NOT!!!!!!

(sorry, I'm just trying to inject a 'little' humor around here;I think it's slightly needed lately)..sigh

Peace, brother,...-Garth-

GOD BLESS the Y&T/DMG Camp....-G-.

Chip
06-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Holy Moly!
I can't believe some of the negative stuff I just finished reading here.
A drummer has been let go from a band people. That's all. You know what else is happening today? Genoside in Sudan. Yeah - genocide. But I have yet to see anybody here bitch about that with the same passion that some have about Leonerd leaving Y&T. Let's try a little perspective here. I suggest we all sit back and have a nice big piece of pie and a tall cold glass of milk. I like cherry best.
http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/02/pf/saving/travel/american_pie/cap_cherry_pie.jpg

I wish nothing but the best for Leo. But let's not forget that Dave, Phil, (who, by the way have managed to keep this thing alive all of these years) and John will still be out at the front of the stage kicking our asses. I suggest at least giving Mike a chance the same as John was given a chance to fill some very big shoes. But ripping up tickets and giving up on a band that you've supported for 25, 30, or more years (and there have been line-up changes during that time) is just nonsense. Then again - I guess every team has it's fair weather fans. The way I see it, Mike will be well groomed by the time the Mystic shows roll around......

Winds of change are blowin' strongly - go with it....ya just might be happy you did....

VimFeugo
06-08-2006, 02:56 PM
All I have to say to best of luck to Leo and to Y&T. I'm sure everything will work out for the best in the end. Thanks for everything!

No Regrets
06-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Ahhhh Chip.. I knew you'd bring the pie! Thanks :beer:

Nancy

Coney
06-08-2006, 03:28 PM
I need 4mgs of Ativan, stat! :eek:

Seriously Dave, while the news is disheartening, fortunately, no one is chronically ill (or worse) and it's a decision that the band made collaboratively. While we're disappointed & change is often disruptive, we should be mindful that we're not privy to the inner dynamics & "Gestalt" of the band.

It also salient to emphasize that your & Phil's prudent judgment & symbiotic relationship has been sound & meritorious since inception. This difficult decision is obviously in the best interests of the band, your families, & the lifeblood of Y&T, the fans. It's also evident that Y&T's existence as a collective is first & foremost. I've always found it admirable that you never act as if any one member is more important than Y&T, as a cooperative.
Lest we forget, you've turned down several high profile ego & wallet stroking gigs for the love of the music, fans, & past/present band members.

Needless to say, this selflessness is a rare trait in a "biz" laden with narcissistic megalomaniacs. The fact that you've survived a fickle & ephemeral "biz" for 3+ decades & kept the Y&T machine going is equally commendable & astonishing.

Alas, life & Y&T will still go on & I take solace in the fond memories & years of fantastic music.

RUSHHEAD666
06-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Look, everyone - most of you have figured out that this was not an easy descision for the band.
Dave and Phil have read your posts and listened to what you want.

You say you want a DVD. You say you want a new studio record. You say you want them to play some different songs in the setlists.

Well, those three things were not happening with Leonard behind the kit. If they were, all of those requests would have been filled between now and 5 years ago. It wasn't happening.

Did you want the band to simply be a "Nostalgia act?" Playing the same 10 songs over and over at County Fairs? Because THAT is what happens to bands that stagnate. And, seriously, this band was stagnating.

So Dave & Phil have decided to get this train off the circular track and move it forward. So don't blame them for doing what you have requested.

(notice I haven't stated whether I am happy or sad - hey, my opinions don't matter - it's not my band, and not my career. It's the "Dave, Phil & Jill" show. )

I have to admit you do make some very good points. I am glad I saw the Independent show though, now more than ever.

Jeff Bricker
06-08-2006, 03:38 PM

It's not like if the Stones replaced Mick with the bald dude Chris from "American Idol."

it's a rock band. they are moving on - It's Dave's band, Dave's career, Dave's LIFE - so get over it.

(and stop sending Jeff nasty E-mails - do you REALLY think HE said "Dave - he's gotta go" and Dave said "Really ? Okay, Jeff - you're the Boss. Whatever you say - GOES. ") Grow up, folks.

Yes that does sum it up. It is DAVE'S Band.

CPD5150
06-08-2006, 04:11 PM
I agree with MMandy. Great post..

Canuck
06-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Stay off the forum for a couple of days and look what happens. Man, it takes a lot to shock me these days, but this did. I'm sure it was unrelated, but ever since the videos got shut down I had a weird feeling that things weren't normal here. (to be completely frank I was afraid it was turning into BackTalk.) I've never seen the band live and honestly, I probably will never get the chance but I've always viewed the band sort of like Kiss, and by that I don't mean money-hungry bastards, but hear me out. If you've got Paul and Gene, you've got Kiss. Likewise, if you've got Dave and Phil, you've got Y&T. Keep in mind that's the opinion of a fan who didn't become a fan until 1990. Having said that, Leonard's unique style will be missed.

I'm just curious, I wonder if they tried to get Jimmy back first?

Anyway, it's really none of anyone's business but the bands, I wish all involved parties good luck.

Jimmy CX
06-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Best of Luck to Leonard and to Y&T! Good luck with the new Drummer!:beer:

Zemaitis
06-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Some sad news indeed.... I am sure we all have our favorite era of the band, and mine happens to be with Leonard.... didn’t much care for the recording's with out him, but I still bought them to support the band.

And like any other "family", bands have disagreements and fights... but you know what... eventually we get over them and come together... life moves on.

If you don't like the direction the band is going, put on your favorite recordings and rock on... you'll always have those.... but as your mother said "try it, you might like it"... so give the guys a chance

And as for Leonard... hope we can hear from him in the future (IMHO one of rocks best)

As for the other "brother's"... we wish you well..............

Karl566
06-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Sad to hear. Dave mentions in his post that Mike:welcome: is a straight ahead drummer with good chops. This in my opinion is just what you guys need. A double bass drummer, or a drummer that is overly busy doesn't fit this style of music. Think... why do we love Leo so much??
Because in the Day he was a tank. And he had chops, straight ahead power rock drumming, no triplets, no blast beats, just good old power drumming. Its what you don't play that counts.
For whatever reason that mindset got lost...
who knows what it was,,,trying to keep up with the jones's, playing to click tracks(that will F you up big time...i've tried it in a studio), pain in the hands,ect. Its obvious the band tried VERY hard to overcome the challenges but were unable to do so. I applaud you LEO...for the years of power rock drumming you gave us, and inspired me as a drummer since 1983. I applaude you Y&T for carrying on inspite of the obvious painstaking descision that was made. It's like a death in the family.....how fun can that be for anyone?

Best of luck to you Leo..overcome the demons and don't give up playing!!!!!!!!

Lets give Mike a chance!
I am!!!
See you at Bourbon Street in August!

Kelly
06-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Wow, miss a couple of days in here and you have 16 pages of posts to read on one thread.

I think everyone in here knows that I will support Y&T in any decision they make that they feel is the best for them personally and for the band. It is obvious that this was not an easy decision to make. I am very glad that they decided to continue on as a band instead of calling it quits. That would have been incredibly sad news to hear. I have never been able to figure out why fans feel that they have such a big say in what a band decides to do. I know that without the fans the band doesn't sell records or tickets but it still seems ridiculous to me that a fan thinks they are owed something by a band. I guess that will never change but to me it makes no sense. I think we should be happy that we as fans have this forum and are able to hear news like this directly from the band.

I would like to wish Leonard and Kelly all the best - you will be missed.

A big welcome to Mike - I am looking forward to the continuation of Y&T and I would like to personally welcome you to the best rock and roll band on the planet. Just do what you do and don't worry about people judging you or comparing you to someone else. Bring your own style to Y&T and start the new chapter.

Kelly

Charger
06-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Man, I was suprised when I got a call about this, but I'm sure you guys know whats best for the band, but I'll miss leonard

Old Waldorf
06-08-2006, 06:55 PM
When it comes to Y&T, I would rather see Leonard playing live on a
so-called "bad night" than Jimmy (poster boy) DeGrasso on his best night.

Just this long-time fan's opinion.:D

That said, I'm certain it was not an easy decision for the band to make.
I'm sure Dave handled it with class.

Thanks for the memories Leonard and good luck in the future.:beer:

Dave Meniketti
06-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Yes that does sum it up. It is DAVE'S Band.

I think Phil and John might have something to say about that statement. Don't think you can spin that into something negative, because it's not a reality. Yes, this is my website, and I post the most in here, and do the band business behind the scenes, and we practice and record at my studio, etc. So what. That just means that I'm one of those guys that does what he can for the band, never asking anything for it. I don't tell anyone what to do and think, we all have individual strong personalities & we listen to each other equally.

DAVE'S Band? You are confused. That's the Meniketti Group, not Y&T.

nsw
06-08-2006, 07:41 PM
this can only mean one thing...
dave & phil are turning up the wick....

i grew up on Y&T
i will support them forever..:bigeyes:

this thread is a hot bed...

dave,nice job on dodging the fireballs.
sure are alot of panties wadded up....
LOL!

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-08-2006, 07:57 PM
no offence to anyone.. band or forum...

but.....
this was all about fun and getting the band back together...
as long as all of the forum members and fans out there showed up... the party train would roll....and continue to roll.
with people stretching it out and traveling as far as they could afford to go .. show after show...
the band would be supported.
we all would do our best to spread the word..
we were on a "mission for god"...as elwood once said...
to get the ball rolling...once again........

so why not keep it in the family...
i know it aint steel dragon... but...
there is a forum member that can pound the skins...
keep it in the family...
why not keep it real and let it roll.

tough pill to swallow...
some ol timmers might turn cheek,
from a marketing stand point...
like in dokken.. levin probably plays better than lynch... but...it aint the same..
look at the crue....all original...same with jovi....
fans aren't there to see high tech music...
they are there to live in the moment from back in the day...
50+ yr old rockers ain't going platinum nowdays...not many anyhoo....

jmho and no offence to the masses...
lh&r.

Looks like you were wearing some of those panties last night.

Did we change our britches? :D

nsw
06-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Looks like you were wearing some of those panties last night.

Did we change our britches? :D
LOL!
i was making a general observation...
by the way they were crotchless and on backwards:bigeyes: LOL!

ROCK & ROLL GIRL
06-08-2006, 08:21 PM
[quote=Coney]I need 4mgs of Ativan, stat! :eek:
quote]

great one! what kind of doc do you have atleast start with 5mg !!!!!!!

First Dave, Phil, John, have my 100% support and backing

Leonard, all the best to you now and forever

Welcome to Mike with no expectations, no comparing, whatsoever.

Mikkivoxx
06-08-2006, 08:25 PM
I think Phil and John might have something to say about that statement. Don't think you can spin that into something negative, because it's not a reality. Yes, this is my website, and I post the most in here, and do the band business behind the scenes, and we practice and record at my studio, etc. So what. That just means that I'm one of those guys that does what he can for the band, never asking anything for it. I don't tell anyone what to do and think, we all have individual strong personalities & we listen to each other equally.

DAVE'S Band? You are confused. That's the Meniketti Group, not Y&T.

Dave, I admire you more and more each day; you are truly a man of honor and integrity. 'Nuff said!

Mike

kraig
06-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Y&T thru the years have had its ups and downs, just like so many of us, The band and the music will live on for a long time, Any departing band member will be missed , but your only a cd away from reminissing your favorite show , of leo and joey as well as the Band that will melt your face in the future.....Im looking forward someday to see the new beat behind the bang.......,

Id like to see leo hook up with johnny gunn ,and the shotgunn haze band again...........

Terr
06-08-2006, 09:08 PM
I just wanna say one more thing, then I ain't even gonna look at this thread again:

Old Waldorf - & some others- You oughta bear in mind that this forum is also not just Dave's....It's Y&T's. All the members past & present deserve our respect & this forum is generally known for being a place where insults to band members & even fans are not tolerated. If you wanna compliment Leonard, the best way to do it is without insulting Jimmy.

That's all I have to say. Forward onward & upward....

fasteddie
06-08-2006, 09:44 PM
I dont care whos playing the drums anymore im done.
My heart was broke when he was fired the first time.
Then Joey :mad: I was gone for many years.
Well three times i cant take it no more sorry thats just how strong i feel about Leo. Im sorry if my stance has dissapointed some of the great people i have met here but this is tearing me up 10 times the dmb disbanding. Hey i love leo what can i say i have always been up front to everyone on that fact even to the point of pissing a few off. Oh well its a free country and i am off to ozz fest of all fucking things maybe i will get into a new band over there. Good luck guys wishing you well. My brother will be their im sure but one front row space is now avil
Im so Bummed.
You had to know with the departure of leo there would be a few like me at least im not going to bash the shit out of the guys i love them all too much just not enough now to sit thru a gig without my hero playing.

I think a few here would be the same as me if Phil was fired
And the charms companys stock would drop as all the damn blow pops would stop selling.
So some of you super fans take that into consideration before you all start bashing me on my loyal fan support the band statements alright.
Im very very disappointed in this departure Leos not just some drummer for hire its a whole lot more to me.

Karl566
06-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Your right Fasteddie its not gonna be the same without him, just like before. Jimmy is a fantastic drummer....but it just isnt the same.
Kinda like when they tried to change coke.......
lmao it never was the same...so what did they do...they went back to the origional formula that worked.

Charger
06-08-2006, 10:17 PM

He dresses his hair ??? :eek:
I thought he woke up that way

Charger
06-08-2006, 10:20 PM

You mean your not going Susan ??:lmao:

MartyTheHammer
06-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Who would have thought a few years ago that there would even be a reunited Y&T to begin with?Then they go on a seven gig reunion swing that has lasted what 4 or 5 years?More than ANY of us could have really asked for.I'm just glad for the time we have had with Leonard,It was fun and there were many great moments with him.Awesome to see the original line-up play again,never thought I would.I'm just happy for that.The Band has given us,the fans, a lot.Thank you Leonard.Thank you Y&T.
Now things are changing and the band deserves our support.Dave I want to say that I appreciate all you do.I can see this is a trying situation for you and everybody involved,and you have my compassion and best wishes.I support you and the band and the decision that has been made.I'm happy the band is still going.
Looking forward to seeing Mike Vaderhule play.He has a great resume and I hope to meet and talk with him at some point.Us fans need to encourage and support him.This is probably a trying situation for him too.Good luck Mike!

The Garage Sale Man
06-08-2006, 10:26 PM
I dont care whos playing the drums anymore im done.
My heart was broke when he was fired the first time.
Then Joey :mad: I was gone for many years.
Well three times i cant take it no more sorry thats just how strong i feel about Leo. Im sorry if my stance has dissapointed some of the great people i have met here but this is tearing me up 10 times the dmb disbanding. Hey i love leo what can i say i have always been up front to everyone on that fact even to the point of pissing a few off. Oh well its a free country and i am off to ozz fest of all fucking things maybe i will get into a new band over there. Good luck guys wishing you well. My brother will be their im sure but one front row space is now avil
Im so Bummed.
You had to know with the departure of leo there would be a few like me at least im not going to bash the shit out of the guys i love them all too much just not enough now to sit thru a gig without my hero playing.

I think a few here would be the same as me if Phil was fired
And the charms companys stock would drop as all the damn blow pops would stop selling.
So some of you super fans take that into consideration before you all start bashing me on my loyal fan support the band statements alright.
Im very very disappointed in this departure Leos not just some drummer for hire its a whole lot more to me.

I will respect everyones view of the change, but I really would want to know more about the conclusion one comes to, to actually be so upset that you would stop following a band you Love because of a member you really liked in the band was replaced for business reasons??? thats so far from my thinking that it just leaves me wanting to know more about why that would happen to a Y&T fan??

The Dude
06-08-2006, 10:28 PM
i hope everyone is doing ok now I want to thank leo for the many good years he gave us
thanks for a job well done leo!

nsw
06-08-2006, 10:34 PM
it just isnt the same.

yeah...............like when they went from ether to benzene..
it just aint the same...
LA rocks.. moves non-stop.....the kids gone crazy....

really .. the guys are still jamming....
that is what really matters.

nsw
06-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Who would have thought a few years ago that there would even be a reunited Y&T to begin with?Then they go on a seven gig reunion swing that has lasted what 4 or 5 years?More than ANY of us could have really asked for.I'm just glad for the time we have had with Leonard,It was fun and there were many great moments with him.Awesome to see the original line-up play again,never thought I would.I'm just happy for that.The Band has given us,the fans, a lot.Thank you Leonard.Thank you Y&T.
Now things are changing and the band deserves our support.Dave I want to say that I appreciate all you do.I can see this is a trying situation for you and everybody involved,and you have my compassion and best wishes.I support you and the band and the decision that has been made.I'm happy the band is still going.
Looking forward to seeing Mike Vaderhule play.He has a great resume and I hope to meet and talk with him at some point.Us fans need to encourage and support him.This is probably a trying situation for him too.Good luck Mike!

go marty....
well stated.
i say what marty said...
we love these guys..
and i think they all know it.:guitarist

RaceMic
06-08-2006, 10:40 PM

Great post Marty.

RockHard
06-08-2006, 10:41 PM
WOW! When I signed off last night, this was a two page thread! This took "Forever" to read!

We know one thing for sure... The members here are sure passionate about Y&T... That's gotta be worth something... Positive posts... Negative posts... At least everyone cared enough about the band to post something...

I hate to see anyone leave the camp over this... Bands lose members for various reasons... Unfortunate fact of life...

I wasn't aware of any real issues with Leo before reading these posts... I remember the headphones being mentioned but that's about it... All I've seen is review after review saying... 'The band kicked ass...' I never had any clue of any issues arising with the band... I feel more 'out of the loop' than ever... :(

The morals of the story for me:
1) There's no good way for something like this to happen but sometimes it happens just the same...

2) Don't believe everything you read! I guess no one wanted to hurt feelings on those reviews... I don't either... I just hope Leo continues to pound the skins wherever he lands... I will just say that he will always be a legend to me (like Joey) and leave it at that... :beer:

3) It ain't easy being an East coast fan of a West coast band! :D

I'm still looking forward to a good show at Jaxx... I hope Mike finds the groove quickly, has an easy transition and gets a fair shake... Good luck, bro...

Most of all, I hope Y&T continues to rock and do what they were put on this earth to do... :guitarist

:beer:

nsw
06-08-2006, 10:44 PM
if dave picked him... you can bet he is great....
just a sad time for the traditionalist camp...
i always invite the best..
panties or not.

RUSHHEAD666
06-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Your right Fasteddie its not gonna be the same without him, just like before. Jimmy is a fantastic drummer....but it just isnt the same.
lmao it never was the same...so what did they do...they went back to the origional formula that worked.

That is actually a beautiful metaphor.

I have said some things about Jimmy and not just on this sad thread.

Sorry if some of you think I disrespect him a lot, that was not my intention. I think Jimmy is a great studio drummer. He has more chops than the Panda Express has chopsticks.

I think Leo is a tough act to follow. I have always said here that Leo has a thunderfoot that is quicker than even the late great Bonzo. Remember folks, Leo won the fastest foot in Circus Magazine in 1986!!!!!!!!! I have often compared the original "I'm Lost" with the insane machine gun footwork of Leo to the remake of "I'm Lost" with Jimmy who is just going through the motions of basic double bass drumming. Hey Terr, if that is what you prefer, then that is totally cool. I prefer Leo's single footwork by far. It's just my opinion.

This thread has been on my mind all day, it's been bugging the crap out of me. I went off the deep end last night and hit my head on dry concrete.

I will always love Y&T and Leo will always be a part of it FOREVER!! Joey too for that matter.

That's Life. I agree, it is time to move on and wait for the next chapter in the Y&T Chronicles.

"I Believe in You"

And that one goes out to my wife.

PS: I am proud to say that I got into Y&T when Leo was in the band. To all you newer fans who love Jimmy, hey, that's just the way it goes. The dude was a great replacement. I remember when some of you called out Leo on the Jimmy stuff that he could not play it and he responded to you in a negative manner, hence some of you disrespected him. Check the archives, it's all there in it's black and white glory.

Time to put this thead to rest!

Time for some ice cold barley and hops poison...................... :beer:

Earl

nsw
06-08-2006, 10:53 PM
amen!

Delirious Nomad
06-08-2006, 11:11 PM
You had to know with the departure of leo there would be a few like me .....
Never even crossed my mind.:bigeyes:

Have a good time at Ozzfest.
Maybe you'll find "Bleeding Through", "Norma Jean", "The Red Chord", "A Life Once Lost", or "Bad Acid Trip" much more enjoyable than Y&T without Leo.:_sure:

No Regrets
06-08-2006, 11:27 PM

LMAO um no and Charms doesnt get that much from me, we havent actually done the blow pops in a loooong time, pulled them out at Santa Rosa since Dave requested them in Sac but previous to that it was a year since they've come out.

I think your statement that anyone considers Leonard to be a drummer for hire is WAY out of line.. I dont think there is a single person here that thinks that and the posts supporting the band and from the band do not imply that either.
I'll follow this band until they are gone even if it gets down to one member.. no matter who it is. They still represent and were a part of my favorite band. It's like supporting Stef, Joey,Jimmy, Dave, & John in their other musical projects .. it's all good and everyone that has played in this band has a ton of respect from me as musicians, and as people for how they deal with the fans. It's unlike any other band. We are spoiled... which is maybe why some of the reaction is the way it is. LOL I'm just glad they decided to keep playing. If not, I would have been pushing on that Meniketti Train to start rolling again :D .. life goes on.

Nancy

No Regrets
06-08-2006, 11:40 PM
Actually... I'll always be pushing on that Meniketti Train.... Birthday Bash PLEASE DAVE!!!! :D

fasteddie
06-08-2006, 11:48 PM
You see its more than just some band to me .
I grew up watching and playing all leos tunes.
I recently started putting together a vintage blue sparkle ludwig drum kit to give to leo if they ever played the vintage show i want so bad. I found out who has his old one but its not for sale for any price
And the guy leo sold it too is helping me put it together im not talking a new kit im talking all 1970s everything
Even had plans for a board and the bungie cord tie downs hose clamps and tubimg for cymbols stands If the wife found out what 2002 color sounds in mint condition cost i will be in need of a good attorney belive me.
Do i need to comtimue on leo and what he has ment to me over the last 30 plus years
I am wrecked over his second firing.
Unless Leo shows up here saying he wanted out im not going to change my mind
Im just being totally honest one thing i did notice is the bands on tract to play about 15 more gigs this year than last so maybe cutting the shows shorter would have been an option less painfull to me. And how the hell is a drummer going to play 150 plus songs at the drop of a hat perfectly when he left the band before tons of them and Contagious was a request from Susan and Leo did just fine as they played it NYE
But come on set list made at the gig by fans no time toi pratice for that gig and 20 plus Y&T high energy songs is like a duubble header in the big leauges these pussys get pulled after 100 pitchs. Leo no Pussy hes the man and i was at the Sac gig it was a long long time on stage and requests were all over the place cant judge a man on the last couple shows. If this has been going on for a much longer period of time ect and personal issues we are not intitled to thats fine still leos not on the kit so same applys for me in the front row. John i wont start shopping at albertsons:lmao: And Phil Rick will still have to hear all my stories of Weeks park agian and agian and agian and i hope down the road the dream gig happens i will see what i can doi i have Joey on board for it and picked his three songs Dave responded to my post way back that it would be cool but they would have to learn half the old tunes agian. Well i have time to get leos kit together and all my oldtimers keep on them for me i will be starting work on my 69 Z28 Camaro and giving up the computer for awhile cant take it no more.

No Regrets
06-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Well I made the setlist and none of the songs were anything Leonard hadnt played in awhile.... this wasnt about a couple bad shows. If you read and comprehend what's been said about the decision it was nothing like that. I think you do need to take a break and come back when you are less emotional.. sheesh, I'm the female here what's up!!!!!!!!!:D

The bright side is . your wife will be happy to have you back after this long run of Y&T obsession.. so take a break and come back and look at this later with fresh eyes.

Take care,

Nancy

fasteddie
06-09-2006, 12:13 AM
Watch out Phil Nancys going to get you fired :lmao:
Just kidding Nancy I have to go out laughing
Someone call me if Leo ever shows up agian see ya guys later
And best wishs to the band going forward . Ozz fest with zakk will go down in the family history books over here for my son
I will put up with it for my son hes a VIP guest of the band BLS
Hes so excited he cant wait. Dont think my son wants me wearing any Y&T gear
Wonder if Ozzy even remembers Dave :lmao: Maybe black Meniketti shirt will get his attention. :guitarist

BeOz59
06-09-2006, 12:45 AM
Leonard you will be missed, I loved your Bonnam type of drumming and even when Jimmmy took over with his great skills for me it was not the same I thought JD over played... I hope the new drummer is not over the top and stays close to the original drum sound LH brought to the band...Leonard you ROCK

Old Waldorf
06-09-2006, 02:37 AM
Early~
You're always typing on & on about every other musician & their mother on this forum. Maybe you should bugger off to some of their websites.
If you wanna stick around here I'd advise ya to delete this last post of yours & have a big cup of your self prescribed medicine~ STFU.
People on this forum have to be respectful of the band members past & present or find someplace else to spew their b.s.

I gotta admit I was upset & angry when Stef left just before Y&T & WS were due to play @ Konocti--but John stepped in & Rocked
& contributes great vocals as well as a good solid rhythm & the occasional lead.
I totally respect Stef & what he's doin' with Peppino D'Agostino & Vasco Rossi & Huey & the News.

It was great to see all 7 members of Y&T onstage together at the Mystic!!!!!!!
Now there's 8. :D WELCOME MV! May your tenure with the band be fun & KICK SOME ASS!!!!

Jimmy D. is one of the Top Ten drummers on the planet....maybe Top Five.
Let's all hope he returns to Y&T ASAP.
Jimmy has to realize that he can play to his full potential with The Good Dave.
He's gone as far as he could go with The Bad Dave(Mustaine) & is destined to be frustrated with
Zircon Dave(Roth) who he's tourin' with this summer.
Jimmy will be back I guarandamntee it. Those who don't appreciate his great drumming~ Bye bye
Terr,
I go out of my way to be respectful of others musical tastes on this forum.
You on the other hand manage to disrespect.....in one post...
1. Earl ( RUSHHEAD666)
2. Joey Alves
3. Dave Mustaine and Megadeth
4. Diamond David Lee Roth
5. the NEW Y&T drummer
6. And .....the guy hasn't even been gone 5 minutes
Leonard Haze ...and just about every other drummer alive and their fans
We all know Jimmy Degrasso is talented...Do we really need to hear about it right now!
"The Top 5 of ALL Time", he's not even the best Megadeth drummer.
I stole the "poster boy" comment from the Encyclopedia of Heavy Metal, you should pick up a copy and some New CD's
You are out of your mind Terr ....get some help. :CRYING:

Canuck
06-09-2006, 02:44 AM
This thread is like a bad car accident, you just can't help but look at it.

I guess it shows just how passionate Y&T fans are, bands change members (especially drummers -- there's a very good reason Rob Reiner uses that running gag in Spinal Tap) all the time, very rare do bands stay together with all original members. But it doesn't stir the pot like this. I guess it proves just how special this band is. Much like Mick Mars' guitar playing separated the Crue from all the other "hair bands," Leonard's incredible right foot and overall "blast 'em" feel made Y&T stand out as well. Did they sound different with Jimmy? Of course they did, but Dave's voice and guitar, along with Phil's harmonies remained, and that is the heart and soul of the Y&T sound.

Ripping on Jimmy gets nothing done, though (especially considering he's not even in the band anymore -- I can only hope Mike gets the benefit of the doubt at least.) I'm kicking myself because I guess Jimmy and Dave Ellefson were in Halifax a couple of weeks ago at a NAMM-type convention. Calling Jimmy "poster-boy"? Face it, the entire band looked like poster boys on Contagious.

No, I didn't get into the band from the start. I was two in 1976. Sometimes I get the feeling that there are certain members on here who like to "hold it over our heads" how they were there "from the beginning" and quite frankly, are stuck in 1976. (Or 1981, 1984, etc.) Maybe that's over-reacting, and if so I apologize. But there's nothing wrong with discovering a band and then going back into their history, like I did in 1990. If you have been there from the beginning, then I truly salute you. A lot of you are very fortunate to have met the band and seen countless gigs. If no one went back to check out older music, it wouldn't survive.

Stef, Jimmy, John, and now Mike have all played a part in keeping this music alive, and they deserve all the respect that the original "fab four" deserve. I don't claim to know what's been going on, but is this why we haven't seen a DVD or a new album? And if the band is doing new music, we need to support them. Y&T have always maintained a high level of quality to their music, no matter who's been in the band. Do we really want the band to stick to playing songs from two or three albums, ignoring countless other great live songs in the process, and making no attempts at doing anything creative ever again?

I can only imagine what nail-biting and nervousness Dave went through before he hit "Post" on this one, I'm sure he read and re-read it until he could recite it in his sleep.

I don't want to make enemies here, but if you like a band, you support them no matter what. Just one fan's opinion. I salute Dave for "standing in the fire" and responding to these posts. I would love to hear from Phil and John as well. And about the best thing that could happen is for Leo to post and tell his side of things. I'm sure the air would be cleared.

Wayne Williams
06-09-2006, 03:06 AM
Y&T have been, are, and always will be my favorite band. Not going to even try to speculate on the band's decision to part ways with Leonard, It's their decision, not ours. I will always be there to support the band anytime I get the chance!

bjaramil
06-09-2006, 04:03 AM
Devastated!
Absolutely devastated!

I'll give the new guy a shot.

I don't know if it was Leonards departure in the 80's, the new label, er what, but it wasn't the same for me. I liked some of the music, but not with the same passion. Let's hope this new guy is a seamless fit.

Blind devotion, not my style. And I dont think the band want's it either. They want fans to like what they're doing, not be sheep. They want to know their music matters/connects.

The musics gotta be hittin me in the face with that typical Y&T 2x12. I am willing to give it a shot. I am sure I will like it. It's not like they're gonna start putting out instrumental elevator music! The question for me will be, does it rank up there with my faves...Mean Streak, Musically Incorrect, Endangered Species, IRWT.

I do like the 'we don't air our dirty laundry' stance. We definitely do NOT need the drama.

I also like the 'on to the future'. some fans will dig it, some will not.

Really, unless Leonard comes out and says 'i was wronged. those guys screwed me' (which I don't think he'll do) there really is no drama.

But I am devastated. I was just talking to my wife about my two favorite drummers of all time! Leonard Haze and Ray Luzier. Leonard has always been the most interesting drummer, for me. (Ray, the most incredible live drummer I've seen).

By the way, I'm devastated.

Hope Len pops in on the list every onceinawhile, or starts a website to let us all know what he's up to. (off to start a new thread)

bassangel69
06-09-2006, 05:05 AM
excellent post Dave...(how did i miss it?)...i'm looking forward to seeing Y&T soon...especially since i will be living closer!!!!:D Banana Bread anyone to go with the Cherry Pie? :Dtara

ian
06-09-2006, 06:40 AM
Hey, shut up - that band sucks. ;)

just because it was your birthday the other day, doesnt mean I can't call you a git!

Ian

My1MsSteak
06-09-2006, 06:48 AM
:D Banana Bread anyone to go with the Cherry Pie? :Dtara

Me and Michelle up till almost midnite pitting fresh cherries!

Gotta git 'em while the gittin' is good!

Hmmmm... lattice or full crust ???

And yes ... I will take some more of your killer :banana: BREAD!

Lauretta
06-09-2006, 07:57 AM
Good Morning, now that (some) of the dust has settled I would like to chime in here with my thoughts. And there have been an awful lot of them the last 24 hours! I can see how this has really shaken most of you to the core, me too. It brought up lots and lots of painful memories going back 20 years and through every band change throughout the years. This was not an easy decision and the band is crushed, let me tell you.

But to me Y & T is not just 4 guys in a band who became friends, Y & T is really a state of mind. It is dates on the calendar and the anticipation of each show, who's going, what will I wear, where is the pre-show get-together. When I see on the Forum all of you that are excited about the next show and who's traveling how many miles to get here, (or there), it really warms my heart.

We have all stuck together throughout the years and throughout the band member changes, Leonard, Joey, Jimmy, Stef, John and now Leonard again. Every change stinks, but there are reasons why this happens. David gave you all much more of an explaination than any other band on earth is obligated to tell, but that's because he cares so much for the Y & T Family, it's his life, people.

I for one will suck it up and move forward. I am planning on going to the local Concord shows and have booked my hotel room for Santa Cruz in August. I can't wait. And if Petaluma and Redwood City happen again this year, I will be there.

I hope to see many familiar faces this summer and we will weather this together. I wish the very best for Leonard, of course, and I am a phone call away it he needs anything. Ditto for David, Phil and John. (What they need right now from us is s-p-a-c-e to move forward). Welcome to Mike, can't wait to see you.

Thanks for listening, Cheers, Lauretta

Lisa
06-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Very well said Lauretta !!!

I figured the best way to support the band I LOVE so much no matter what decisions they make was to but some " MORE " merchandise !!!:guitarist

I will be flying a new Y&T shirt in the next few days !!!

To eveyone involved with Y&T thanks for all the GREAT years and memories and I am looking forward to many more !!!

Lisa :beer:

The Informant
06-09-2006, 09:35 AM
I can't take it anymore and have to put in my 2 cents.

(For the record, Jimmy was asked about the position and could not accept it because of commitments to Montrose and David Lee Roth)

Somewhere in this thread someone said, don't try and compare players to players. It is impossible. I agree with that statement to some degree. You can't compare Eddie Van Halen (sober) to say Chet Atkins. Both are great players and significantly influenced their style in the industry. The point is you can't say that one was better than the other. Just because one is faster or can play harmonics better doesn't make them the number 1 player. The word here is context!!!

Is there some unknown player that is better than Jimmy? Maybe...but until he/she makes their place in history, who really cares. Again, Context!! Is Jimmy better than Leonard? Who frigging cares. Both have played in this same band at some point and brought their own style and feel to the group. Your preference for drummers in this band doesn't make one drummer better than the other. Facts do. Certain statements in this thread are just ignorant babble. The data speaks for itself.

In drumming, there are several factors that make a drummer great. Time, meter, feel, creativity and playability. You can be the fastest player, but if you don’t know were 1 is, it will not fit. Playing in a pocket is a feel you can’t teach. You either have it or you don’t. It is a rarity that you can find a drummer that has all of these points. Jimmy is one of them. That is why the observation that Jimmy is one of the top 5 to 10 drummers on the planet. Jimmy has played put together a 25+ year continuous career that has put him behind some of the legends in music for a reason.

As for the band, making a member decision, all of you should shut the hell up. It isn't your band. It is a group effort and the group decides who plays. You are not in the group, you are fans of it. There is an internal chemistry that needs to happen in music for the group to play at its best. At this time, the group feels the chemistry is off and need to make change. If Mike is the answer, than great. If not, they will make another change. Get over it. Have respect for the group that they know what is best for them. Again, Context….Could Dennis Chambers play in Y&T? Could John Bonham have played in the Beatles? After all, they are two of the greatest ever….What about Neil Peart in Van Halen? My point is that without chemistry it wouldn’t matter how great of a drummer you are, it won’t work.

Ok I'm done now. Have a great Day everyone.

Terr,
1. Earl ( RUSHHEAD666)
2. Joey Alves
5. the NEW Y&T drummer
We all know Jimmy Degrasso is talented...Do we really need to hear about it right now!
I stole the "poster boy" comment from the Encyclopedia of Heavy Metal, you should pick up a copy and some New CD's

Garth Simpson4
06-09-2006, 10:19 AM
You are 1 CLASS ACT!

That's probably WHY Y&T hired you to run the Fan Club (before the days of computer). I couldn't of said it better.

Lauretta, You Rock!!!..Luv,..-Garth-

"Y&T: The Men, The Myth, The Legend"...

Ditto for the: 'DMG'...!

Terry
06-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Mr. Meniketti, Have your people contact my people.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0OgAAALUQb9ktxxPp4RDtVw8lMZXHFsCcUCajmnhy1GBZ2YVDR hYMxZMdAOpgqBbeueEG35TuKxrFf5go39Gnw0c2dOCwu1Sy/ari1.jpg

DrUmM@sT3r
06-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Dave, Phil, and John,

Thanks for not quitting............Thank You very much!

I'll see you in Concord in August.

Mark

PS Best wishes Leonard, from 1 drummer to another.............

DrUmM@sT3r
06-09-2006, 10:35 AM

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0OgAAALUQb9ktxxPp4RDtVw8lMZXHFsCcUCajmnhy1GBZ2YVDR hYMxZMdAOpgqBbeueEG35TuKxrFf5go39Gnw0c2dOCwu1Sy/ari1.jpg

Hey is that Tony er Terry Snow? (laughin my azz off)

Nice job Terry :)

Rona Hayward
06-09-2006, 10:39 AM
WOW!!! What a shock.I am an "Old Timer" and are very sad to see the change but change is good!!
I will miss Leonard at the Washington show as he was one of the reasons for me to travel and justify the expense.Now I will look forward to seeing Y&T with their new line up.
I am glad to hear that the band parted as friends.Dave said he loves Leonard like a brother,I'm sure thats true.Like blood "Brothers' there will be hurt feelings and times of distance but they will work it out.
Thanks Dave for being honest and keeping us in the loop.You have a lot of personal integrity and and have my respect.I'm sure that you guys did what had to be done.
To the rest of us:
SUCK IT UP,TAKE A DEEP BREATH,and MOVE ON!!!!

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-09-2006, 10:43 AM

Your fro is blocking out part of the White House, dude! :lmao:

Wait a minute... if you read it... its say "THE WUSE!" :lmao:

I bet Terry didn't plan it like that. :lmao:

Terry
06-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Hey is that Tony er Terry Snow? (laughin my azz off)

Nice job Terry :)

MR. LAUDERDALE: Let me repeat what I just said: Dave is not --

Q I heard what you said, Terry. So you're saying that public sentiment was not taken into account at all in terms of emphasis?

MR. LAUDERDALE: If you want to engage in a monologue, feel free. But I'm answering your --

Q I'm asking you a question, Terry. And you dodged the other one, so I'm asking it again.

MR. LAUDERDALE: I will repeat the answer I gave. If you don't like it, you can live your monologue.

Q I'm just trying to get to the answer. Did you read Jimmy Carter's editorial in The Washington Post this morning? He had some real critical words for you and for the band about how you've been characterizing this "crisis," and the prescriptions that you guys are talking about.

MR. LAUDERDALE: Again, Dave's focus is going to be on a comprehensive plan that addresses the issue and gets it solved.

Q What's your reaction to a former president's criticism of how you're handling this?

MR. LAUDERDALE: This nation, for many years, has not had a serious energy policy that was focused on comprehensive solutions, and that's what the Dave's focus will be.

Q Is it Jimmy Carter's fault? He seemed to be suggesting that.
MR. LAUDERDALE: Dave is not interested in pointing fingers or placing blame. Dave's interested in solving the problem.

Q Do you think it was ever discussed, what perception it might cause, since there are so many people that come from there, that never gets talked about?

MR. LAUDERDALE: I guess you just have to get used to a different way of doing business. This band is focused much more on music and solving problems.

Q We're not saying you have, but you're just saying we ought to focus on something else.

MR. LAUDERDALE: I'm just saying that's where Dave's focus is.

Q Why can't you answer that with a yes or no answer?

MR. LAUDERDALE: I can either Willy or I can Nilly but my answer is the same...kinda the same only different.

Q But his question is a pretty simple one; either a yes or no.

MR. LAUDERDALE: If you're asking me to say is there a problem, and I'm telling you the problem the --

Q We're asking you if he's ever even talked about it. I mean, people have written about this, done editorials. We've done a story on it; many people have done stories on this. Have you guys ever talked about the problem that this could cause? I mean, you guys are about to shop an enormous change in United States policy.

MR. LAUDERDALE: Please stop interupting me. Dave's focus is on the music.

Q Can I get an answer? I didn't hear your answer to his question about whether we'll ever see him do one of these events at an oil refinery or a pipeline --

MR. LAUDERDALE: I think he said sitting on a pipeline.

Q Sitting at a pipe -- at a refinery or --

MR. LAUDERDALE: And my answer was if we have future events, we'll fill you in. It's very common-sensical. If you're in an area of the country where your lights went out, you are in a crisis. That means your hot water won't run, that means you may not have gas, or you may not have a stove or oven that works, depending on if it's electricity-driven as opposed to gas-driven. It means if you're in a hot area, your air conditioner might not work, and you have -- you get overheated in the apartment. If it's wintertime, it means you can be -- the apartment is too cold. And for those people, that is a crisis.

RaiderHog
06-09-2006, 11:56 AM
hmm!! i am gonna keep it short!
i will miss leo's playen! (he is and always will be legend in my book) & we here in the wesson house wish him and his lady all the best!
Dave i actualy completely understand "IT!" i have been to ENOUGH shows! to draw my own conclusions! as to WHY!
(i still think it sucks) but i do understand! it! and will continue to support Y&T to the very end!

BTW coming from a family of nine kids (me being both the middle child and middle male) who luv hard, play hard and fight just as hard! helped me to understand "IT" for what "IT" is! sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do!
aint that a bitch!

DrUmM@sT3r
06-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Nice "spin" by Terry and kinda nice to laugh a little after a tough change

arcadeguy
06-09-2006, 01:09 PM
I am sorry for your loss and I hope Leonard Haze finds what hes looking for.

Good luck to you and your newest band member.

After numerous attempts at trying to resolve a musical performance difference, we (Dave, Phil & John) regretfully inform you of our split with Leonard Haze. This decision was painstakingly hard for us because of our love for Leonard as a brother. However for Y&T to continue performing and functioning as a band, it was a change we had to make. We want you to know that we didn’t take this decision lightly, especially knowing how popular Leonard is with Y&T fans.

Over the course of the last week and a half we auditioned many fine drummers from all over the country. We have selected a bay area drummer to fill the seat for the upcoming shows. His name is Mike Vanderhule and he’s a straight ahead drummer with great chops. Mike is a student of Steve Smith and has been a favorite for many years in the local music scene. More info about Mike will be released in the coming days.

While we know this will be a big shock to many of you, we hope after the initial reaction, you will indulge us the respect of having made a tough but necessary decision in order for the band to stick together and move forward into the future.

Respectfully yours,
Dave, Phil and John

Susan
06-09-2006, 02:05 PM

Great post Marty. I agree, along with alot of others. I was shocked to hear this. I never saw it coming. I know it must've been really hard to do what you had to do Dave. Good luck to you Leonard. I'll miss you. And good luck to Y&T too. Welcome Mike. Hope to see you guys at one of the concord shows. Rock on Y&T!

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Just In!

Due to severe strain and stress on Dave's vocal chords from having to defend himself at every turn from ridiculous accusations and ignorant rebuttals, Dave regrettably informed me that he will not be able to perform on the upcoming tour.

However, fear not Y&T faithful, American Idol's very own WILLIAM HUNG http://www.williamhung.net has already been practicing his Y&T vocal chops and is ready to "lay it down" big-time with Phil, John and Mike.

We expect that this will not make a huge impact on the signature Y&T sound.

rockover
06-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Just In!

Due to severe strain and stress on Dave's vocal chords from having to defend himself at every turn from ridiculous accusations and ingnorant rebuttals, Dave regrettably informed me that he will not be able to perform on the upcoming tour.

However, fear not Y&T faithful, American Idol's very own WILLIAM HUNG http://www.williamhung.net/ had already been practicing his Y&T vocal chops and is ready to "lay it down" big-time with Phil, John and Mike.

Oh, yeah.
Ol' Billy singing Meanstreak.
That can't be good.

Eddietherocker
06-09-2006, 02:38 PM
WOHOOOOOOO.....I finally get to me my REAL IDOL...
cant wait...sorry to hear about your voice Dave...:p
I just hope that the tix price dont go up the roof now.:D

A&M SUX
06-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Just In!

Due to severe strain and stress on Dave's vocal chords from having to defend himself at every turn from ridiculous accusations and ignorant rebuttals, Dave regrettably informed me that he will not be able to perform on the upcoming tour.

However, fear not Y&T faithful, American Idol's very own WILLIAM HUNG http://www.williamhung.net has already been practicing his Y&T vocal chops and is ready to "lay it down" big-time with Phil, John and Mike.

This just in:

Chicago-area man kills self over world's one-way trip to Hell via handbasket! Many believe the use of a hangman's knot was coincidental.

Details @ 6:00 :_sure: .

Wrenjka
06-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Just In!

ehhhhh... don't say that, what if it shows up on Blabbermouth! eghhhhh

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-09-2006, 03:03 PM
ehhhhh... don't say that, what if it shows up on Blabbermouth! eghhhhh

That would be just like most rock news sites... take the first part, leave off the rest, and sell it as Gospel.

Wrenjka
06-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Yeah, that's about right!@ :lmao:

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Straight from the studio:

http://apog.nolablogs.org/archives/images/william-hung.jpg

"She botta Mean Beak... but yo lubber so munch you dant wan to see, her Mean Beak..."

WHEW! He's really heatin' up for the tour! You Euro fans are in for a TREAT!

RaceMic
06-09-2006, 03:48 PM
:lmao: :lmao:

Rockerbob
06-09-2006, 03:50 PM
LMAO!!! Dammit boy that was great!!! Needed a good laugh and of course, you delivered!!!

rockover
06-09-2006, 03:50 PM
You are going to HELL!!

rockover
06-09-2006, 03:52 PM
What kinda guitar is he gonna use?
Or does he even play guitar?

PiranhaGirl
06-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Jeff, that is freaking hilarious!

And just an FYI....hot tea coming out one's nose from laughing is painful.....

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-09-2006, 03:55 PM
What kinda guitar is he gonna use?
Or does he even play guitar?

http://www.neatorama.com/images/2005-10/lego-guitar.jpg

His official statement:

WILLIAM FEELS THAT MENIKETTI'S GUITAR, WHILE IT'S FINISH IS LIKE NEW AND VERY PRETTY, IS UNDERPOWERED. THIS LEGO MODEL IS SURE TO PROVIDE Y&T FANS WITH ENOUGH EXPLOSIVE POWER TO WARM A SMALL COUNTRY, (or at least enough for Yngwie to consider using.)

rockover
06-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Well, than.
Rock on.

The Garage Sale Man
06-09-2006, 04:16 PM
"She botta Mean Beak...

that cracks me up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-09-2006, 04:18 PM
WILLIAM WOULD LIKE ALL THE PEOPLE WHO DOUBT HIS ABILITY TO GET HIS "MEAN BEAK" ON WITH THE BAND TO UNDERSTAND THAT HE IS VERY, VERY SERIOUS ABOUT HIS ROLE IN THE BAND. PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT, AND WILLIAM HAS INVESTED HEAVILY IN GUITAR LESSONS AS YOU CAN SEE FROM THE FOLLOWING PICTURE.

http://www.peliplaneetta.net/images/articles/645/pic_1.jpg

rockover
06-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Ok, he's got the guitar covered.
WHAT ABOUT HE'S VOICE!!

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Ok, he's got the guitar covered.
WHAT ABOUT HE'S VOICE!!

Glad you asked! Standing in as William's vocal coach, is none other than...

http://i.esmas.com/image/0/000/004/282/Justin_NT_.jpg

Justin Timberlake. We all know what a rocker this guy is, and he's giving Wiliam the tools to really make his voice "Contagious" without "Goin' Off The Deep End."

rockover
06-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Well , then. Thank you for the info.
I will be able to sleep knowing Mr. Timberlake is on as vocal coach. Whew!
Rock on.

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-09-2006, 04:41 PM
I hope everyone will excuse the last run of posts... but I thought it was in EXTREME need to let off some steam in here and laugh it up a bit.

Of course, Dave is still very sorry he isn't making the gigs this summer. William is going to rock your world! :D

rockover
06-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Could have been worse. David Lee Roth may have wanted join up and do
'The Southern Side Of Y&T'

My1MsSteak
06-09-2006, 04:46 PM
WILLIAM WOULD LIKE ALL THE PEOPLE WHO DOUBT HIS ABILITY TO GET HIS "MEAN BEAK" ON WITH THE BAND TO UNDERSTAND THAT HE IS VERY, VERY SERIOUS ABOUT HIS ROLE IN THE BAND. PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT, AND WILLIAM HAS INVESTED HEAVILY IN GUITAR LESSONS AS YOU CAN SEE FROM THE FOLLOW PICTURE.

http://www.peliplaneetta.net/images/articles/645/pic_1.jpg

OMG! :eek:

That looks just like the third guitar I just picked up of off E~Bay!

And mine is autographed too ... :guitarist

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-09-2006, 04:51 PM
OMG! :eek:

That looks just like the third guitar I just picked up of off E~Bay!

And mine is autographed too ... :guitarist

Yeah... except yours has STRINGS, right? :D :lmao:

MarioFan
06-09-2006, 04:58 PM
...While we know this will be a big shock to many of you, we hope after the initial reaction, you will indulge us the respect of having made a tough but necessary decision in order for the band to stick together and move forward into the future.

Respectfully yours,
Dave, Phil and John

This is, indeed, sad news. However, I respect the decision and wish all the best to ALL of the guys--Dave, Phil, John, Leonard and Mike. I'll still be here, no matter what.

Keep rockin'!

srfrgrl
06-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Wow! I am without my computer for a couple of days getting it repaired and log on to see this thread!
The first time I saw Y&T was when I was 17 and a friend got me into the Keystone Palo Alto for my first club show...my friend was a drummer and said to me to watch Leonard because I would see something amazing...and of course he was right! I will never forget that moment...I am very sad to read of Leonard's departure but I am sure, as I read, it was an extremely difficult decision. I wish all the best to Leonard and his future endeavors and as No Regrets said hopefully we will be able to support him by attending any shows he plays....I am truly thankful that I was able to see/hear him play these last few Y&T shows....
I think that this is a great forum and I think the positive energy will always be felt here...so I really hope that will continue and the openmindedness (is that a word?) and respectfulness of the new member will be felt too...I think about when I started a new job and I wanted everyone to be openminded with me...

Thanks to Leonard for your amazing work!
Welcome Mike!
Thanks to Dave, Phil and John for all you do!!!

srfrgrl

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Wow! I am without my computer for a couple of days getting it repaired

... and you DIDN'T call Digital Realms? Wow, I'm hurt. :D :lmao:

srfrgrl
06-09-2006, 05:05 PM
... and you DIDN'T call Digital Realms? Wow, I'm hurt. :D :lmao:

that's what you do...please forgive me!!! :)

srfrgrl

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-09-2006, 05:06 PM
that's what you do...please forgive me!!! :)

srfrgrl

Just teasin'... but I DO offer a special "Forum Member" discount. ;)

My1MsSteak
06-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Yeah... except yours has STRINGS, right? :D :lmao:

Yes Jeff ...

SFARZO Strings!

:guitarist

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Yes Jeff ...

SFARZO Strings!

:guitarist

Nice ad placement. :D

Lauretta
06-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Hi Garth, thanks for the kind words, it means a lot. See you down the line, your favorite beverage of choice is on me! Cheers, Lauretta

Susan
06-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Well I made the setlist and none of the songs were anything Leonard hadnt played in awhile.... this wasnt about a couple bad shows. If you read and comprehend what's been said about the decision it was nothing like that. I think you do need to take a break and come back when you are less emotional.. sheesh, I'm the female here what's up!!!!!!!!!:D

The bright side is . your wife will be happy to have you back after this long run of Y&T obsession.. so take a break and come back and look at this later with fresh eyes.

Take care,

Nancy

LOL Nancy!
I feel for you FastEddie, I hope you come back around soon.

Old Waldorf
06-09-2006, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=The Informant]I can't take it anymore and have to put in my 2 cents.

(For the record, Jimmy was asked about the position and could not accept it because of commitments to Montrose and David Lee Roth)

Somewhere in this thread someone said, don't try and compare players to players. It is impossible. I agree with that statement to some degree. You can't compare Eddie Van Halen (sober) to say Chet Atkins. Both are great players and significantly influenced their style in the industry. The point is you can't say that one was better than the other. Just because one is faster or can play harmonics better doesn't make them the number 1 player. The word here is context!!!

Is there some unknown player that is better than Jimmy? Maybe...but until he/she makes their place in history, who really cares. Again, Context!! Is Jimmy better than Leonard? Who frigging cares. Both have played in this same band at some point and brought their own style and feel to the group. Your preference for drummers in this band doesn't make one drummer better than the other. Facts do. Certain statements in this thread are just ignorant babble. The data speaks for itself.

In drumming, there are several factors that make a drummer great. Time, meter, feel, creativity and playability. You can be the fastest player, but if you don’t know were 1 is, it will not fit. Playing in a pocket is a feel you can’t teach. You either have it or you don’t. It is a rarity that you can find a drummer that has all of these points. Jimmy is one of them. That is why the observation that Jimmy is one of the top 5 to 10 drummers on the planet. Jimmy has played put together a 25+ year continuous career that has put him behind some of the legends in music for a reason.

As for the band, making a member decision, all of you should shut the hell up. It isn't your band. It is a group effort and the group decides who plays. You are not in the group, you are fans of it. There is an internal chemistry that needs to happen in music for the group to play at its best. At this time, the group feels the chemistry is off and need to make change. If Mike is the answer, than great. If not, they will make another change. Get over it. Have respect for the group that they know what is best for them. Again, Context….Could Dennis Chambers play in Y&T? Could John Bonham have played in the Beatles? After all, they are two of the greatest ever….What about Neil Peart in Van Halen? My point is that without chemistry it wouldn’t matter how great of a drummer you are, it won’t work.

Ok I'm done now. Have a great Day everyone.
Hey" Newbie I've been drumming 28 years " :lmao:
Sorry Terr, I think I'm coming out of the shock and looking foreward to Y&T's next chapter. :guitarist

Jeff "Rowdy J" Kehr
06-09-2006, 06:52 PM
ALERT:

I have just been informed by Justin Timberlake's manager that he has other commitments, namely, the choreography position for the David Lee Roth Band. He has to leave tonight and William is worried.

Therefore, it's my pleasure to introduce to you a man who knows what it's like to fill a tough position in a band. I'm sure William will do well by having:

http://www.vanhalen-irc.com/vanhalen/images/vh-5.jpg

Gary Cherone fill in as vocal & choreographer for William Hung.

I know you'll all understand. Thank You.

Susan
06-09-2006, 07:08 PM
First of all, thank you to those forum fans who have said almost exactly what Phil, John and I would have said in response to the nastier postings. We have an inteligent and thoughtful bunch of people here and it's refreshing to see.

Now let me explain to the few who have insisted our statement was BS and that we owe you a deeper explanation for what happened. No we don’t and no we won’t. Why? Simple: we owe it to Leonard to show him the respect he deserves to not air all our dirty laundry in a public forum. That’s not the way we do business and as someone else said here, this is not a TV reality show. We’re not going to dishonor him or ourselves for those that somehow feel it is “owed to them” to know all our personal business. This is real life, where people have feelings to be hurt and a future to be had without everyone holding court over them. That type of information is only meant for close family and personal friends.

Second, someone insinuated that we weren’t acting like “grown-ups” to just simply work this all out. Well, being that you were never in the band and don’t show up at rehearsals and didn’t go to every show the band ever played in the last 5 years, I would only hazard a guess that you don’t really know if we did or did not act like grown ups in trying to resolve our problems. But then again maybe I’m taking a big leap to be making that corollary. Of course we tried to work this out before the inevitable had to take place. In fact I can guarantee you that we tried more times than anyone could ever have imagined.

Again, understand, this was not a decision taken lightly by any stretch. Do you really think we wanted to let Leonard go for no good reason? That would be a solid NO WAY.

And for all of those that wonder - yes we did part on good terms, though no one I know likes being let go from their job, so there will obviously be hurt feelings at the moment. In fact we will be jamming with Leonard next week for a benefit to a friend of ours that has cancer. We will always hold Leonard in a sacred place in our hearts and souls and he knows that.

To the majority of you fans out there that have been so nice as to be understanding during what are very hard times for all of us, thank you from the bottom of my heart. Though we make difficult decisions from our hearts and not by public opinion, it’s good to know that many of you, though understandably upset, are able to see the light of day through this.

You may not have known just how deep this went but we were either going to scrap the band completely or make a change. Phil, John and I have way too much we still want to do with this band than to give it all up, so on we go into the future. And let’s all give Mike a chance and not hold him to some perfect expectation. I know he’ll be under a microscope, but he’ll need a period for adjustment and we all would appreciate your patience while we sort through this all.

Now I gotta go. We have a lot of work to do in a very short amount of time.
Cheers,
-Dave

You rock Dave!

Whiskey T
06-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Terr,
1. Earl ( RUSHHEAD666)
2. Joey Alves
5. the NEW Y&T drummer

Bravo!

bjaramil
06-09-2006, 07:20 PM
ha ha...my ribs hurt...that was hilarious. by the way, how's the comedy gig going?

ALERT:

I have just been informed by Justin Timberlake's manager that he has other commitments, namely, the choreography position for the David Lee Roth Band. He has to leave tonight and William is worried.

Therefore, it's my pleasure to introduce to you a man who knows what it's like to fill a tough position in a band. I'm sure William will do well by having:

NitroJammer
06-09-2006, 07:27 PM
I was pretty shocked when I read the news, but I'm sure the band did everything they could before making such a major decision. Sometimes the most healthy 'grownup" thing to do is to end a situation that isn't working for anyone, rather than trying to force it to work and hurting everyone more in the process.

I wish Leonard the best of luck with whatever he does next, I wish Mike the best of luck getting into the groove of the band and the family and the tour, and I wish Dave, Phil and John (and the rest of the band family) peace during this big transition.

I'll add my thanks to Dave for being pretty open about the situation, and for being respectful of Leonard and of the fans in the process. You didn't have to open yourself up to the comments or respond to them, and it really speaks to your integrity that you have.

I'll be looking forward to what comes next! :)

rockover
06-09-2006, 08:00 PM
ALERT:

Can they get someone else. Like, I don't know, um, Paula Abdul.
She's a vocalist and is a choreographer.
Just a thought.

DrUmM@sT3r
06-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Rowdy Jeff would be fun to party with <---------imagine the rebel with 10 beers in him!:eek:

Thx Jeff for makin' us laugh in a tough time

:)

WendyWearsBlack
06-09-2006, 08:42 PM
about change....so I will try to navigate with alternate words as I formulate my thoughts on the subject. We can choose to react childishly and threaten to cancel our tickets. We can choose to react valiantly and treat the news with the expectation of new creativity being breathed into our favorite band. Neither stance changes the fact that the decision has been made. Neither stance changes the value we hold for Leonard as a person and a performer. I was at the show a while back in Petaluma in which every former member of the band played. It was a magical night. Most of the audience had the same positive reaction. We have changed with and cherished each new incarnation of Y &T, so I wonder aloud here why this chapter of change is so difficult to accept for some of us? Would we want a stagnant, stressed out, dysfunctional Y & T ? If anyone answers "yes" to that, perhaps counseling is in order.... (Smile, I'm trying to keep it light-hearted here!) Enjoying the new configuration of the band does not devalue any previous line-up. Thanks for letting me say whats on my mind. And, yes, I have been shredded by forum members in the past for speaking my thoughts, so just bring along the BBQ sauce and a hoagie roll if you're going to put my carcass over the flames for having thoughts outside of the status quo....**:D **

Chip
06-09-2006, 08:46 PM
about change...
Enjoying the new configuration of the band does not devalue any previous line-up.
This line speaks volumes. Good job Wendy. :beer:

Wrenjka
06-09-2006, 08:52 PM
...so I wonder aloud here why this chapter of change is so difficult to accept for some of us?

I think it's just because it so close to the Tour.. just a handful of days, and people may have already had set in their minds that there were certain people that they were going to see...

In all actuallity, I don't think alot of people even know... alot of people from Cali... yes.... and the people that come here... but I don't think alot people even know, of the line-up change.

Karl566
06-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Time for some ice cold barley and hops poison...................... :beer:

Earl

Its only poison if it consumes you.
I choose to consume it, therefore I will raise a toast and put down a few Sierra Nevedas in honor
of our fallen hero Leonard Haze.
CHEERS!

rockover
06-09-2006, 08:59 PM
about change....so I will try to navigate with alternate words as I formulate my thoughts on the subject. We can choose to react childishly and threaten to cancel our tickets. We can choose to react valiantly and treat the news with the expectation of new creativity being breathed into our favorite band. Neither stance changes the fact that the decision has been made. Neither stance changes the value we hold for Leonard as a person and a performer. I was at the show a while back in Petaluma in which every former member of the band played. It was a magical night. Most of the audience had the same positive reaction. We have changed with and cherished each new incarnation of Y &T, so I wonder aloud here why this chapter of change is so difficult to accept for some of us? Would we want a stagnant, stressed out, dysfunctional Y & T ? If anyone answers "yes" to that, perhaps counseling is in order.... (Smile, I'm trying to keep it light-hearted here!) Enjoying the new configuration of the band does not devalue any previous line-up. Thanks for letting me say whats on my mind. And, yes, I have been shredded by forum members in the past for speaking my thoughts, so just bring along the BBQ sauce and a hoagie roll if you're going to put my carcass over the flames for having thoughts outside of the status quo....**:D **

Understanding what you are saying, I feel it goes a deeper with what us as fans feel. With the original line-up, fans grew with Y&T through their career. These are who we have known as the people who have made our memories. So when a original member is no longer there, it's not same for that fan. When someone is what seems to be 'childish', they are upset because the memories will not be same as when they first got into the band. In their defense, they have a right to say how they feel. Some will continue to support the band and some will not. That is their right. So, cut them a little slack.

WendyWearsBlack
06-09-2006, 09:05 PM
So when a original member is no longer there, it's not same for that fan. When someone is what seems to be 'childish', they are upset because the memories will not be same as when they first got into the band. In their defense, they have a right to say how they feel. Some will continue to support the band and some will not. That is their right. So, cut them a little slack.
You are completely correct. I suppose that some people are just really disappointed.