PDA

View Full Version : VBulletin 3.52 rant

arcadeguy
01-01-2006, 05:28 PM
I was using Vbulletin 3.5 just like meniketti.com and decided its time to update because of certain exploits in the 3.5. After reading everything I should know I opened the file and and went to the upgrade option.
During theupgrade to 3.52 there is an option that says, "your database is full, do you wish to empty?" Thats a definate no because it will delete threads and users... I went on and finsished the upgrade.
When I finished I proceeded the admincp and noticed things were at default.. I was like, Uh oH! I went to forums and everything was gone! I had a lump in my throat...
I went into mysql database to look at what was installed and happened. then I noticed duplicate files... What happened during the new install is that it created folders with the prefix "forum" infront of them instead just naming it what it was. Ill give you an example, the threads folder was called "threads" under 3.5 but under 3.52 it was named "forumthreads".
Easy enough! Export!!
Not easy, when I exported it carried everything but the actual thread... Ok, Ill try my member list... export! um no... wont carry personal information.... Hmmmm, rename folder threads to forumsthreads? No. Copy and export folder... Um no...
:umno:
Crack a beer and walk away....
Now im getting worried......
Okay, I dont want to lose anything so ill copy it all over and save to my computer...
Crack another beer...
saved.. good... Now how do i get this copy over... Change thread information... nope... Export all information.. Success!!!!!!!!
Hmmm.... Its not showing up?
Export again! Success...
Nothing showing up....
Its exporting but not recognizing... Go back in AdminCp "rebuild all Threads" "rebuild all members"....
back to database and refresh.
Log out, log in...
Clear cookies, reboot... rest msql server...
:umno:
crack a beer...
Screw it... Log out... walk away....
10 minutes later... Check export again... Nothing...

All lost and i dont know why... I did what I was supposed to do...
:mad:
Its gone forget it, I have the email list atleast and the thread information......

What did I learn?
If it aint broke, dont fix it.
Sometimes its not worth it to update because shit happens. I also never backed up my database in the admincp.

oh well!
/me cracks a beer and lights a cigar.

DrUmM@sT3r
01-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Why is beer better than a woman?
because you can have 3 different beers at once and "Beer" never gets jealous!

Sorry you lost your stuff.......upgrades can be a real drag/starting over point

sok remember we still have beer!

<laughs and lights a Marlboro light to go with many Coors Lights today>

Happy New Year Bro

arcadeguy
01-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Why is beer better than a woman?
because you can have 3 different beers at once and "Beer" never gets jealous!
LOL... Beer is the ultimate friend and is always there when you need someone the most.

Sorry you lost your stuff.......upgrades can be a real drag/starting over point
sok remember we still have beer!
:beer:

laughs and lights a Marlboro light to go with many Coors Lights today>
Happy New Year Bro
Thanks man

Jimmy CX
01-10-2006, 11:58 PM
I'm here too!